The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 06:31:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Poll

Kerry or Bush?

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: August 29, 2004, 11:42:59 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Author Topic: Kerry or Bush  (Read 43990 times)

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2004, 01:59:15 PM »

Quote from: xolik
Quote from: Raina
I'm far too lazy to type it out, and my friend would have a better way with the words. I basically agree with everything he thinks about politics, so maybe I can have him type it all out later.

Please don't vote until you can think for youself. Thanks.

I'm going to jump to Raina's defense here.

She's young, she's interested and she seems to be making at least a half-ass effort to inform herself about things.

The proof is in how she responds to ideas introduced: if all she's CAPABLE of is spouting Demublican propoganda, she is definitely sheep.  If she demonstrates the ability to comprehend multiple sides of an argument (because there are often more than 2!) then she's worthy of a political discussion with Demosthenes  :wink:
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2004, 02:13:49 PM »

All I have to say to that is Nyah!

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Raina

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2004, 03:21:51 PM »

Quote from: catwritr
That's incredibly stupid. Sorry, but if you can't back up your own decisions, you're nothing but a sheep.

In what sense? I've heard both sides of it and chose for myself which side I felt I belonged with. I just don't feel yet equipped in fully arguing why I choose the Democrat party. I am new to politics afterall, and I know that my friend is better with it than I am. I'm not claiming to know everything about politics, just that I agree with the Democrat standpoint on the several issues I've heard.

Raina

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2004, 03:30:35 PM »

Anyway, I just got my friend to type this up :

Foreign policy:  The general Republican strategy for foreign policy is war is a good way to solve conflict, and the Republican criteria for going to war are different than the Democratic criteria.  Generally, Democrats will only go to war if there is clear and present need or if it's retaliatory, and it's usually not anything full-scale.  Republicans go to war preventatively, and with more force than Democrats usually.  In the case of 9/11, both Democrats and Republicans would, for the most part, agree with the invasion of Afghanistan - there was a STRONG sense of bipartisanship there.  Where they differ is on Iraq - Bush went to war with Iraq as a preemptive measure, and rather than try to resolve things through the UN, he went for the full-scale invasion.  If it had been a Democrat, he would have probably acted with the UN to ensure that weapons inspections took place, and not commit as many troops.

Abortion:  Republicans value an unborn life as if it were a born life - there isn't much differentiation there, and the Republican view of abortion is that it IS murder, and therefore should be illegal.  Some Republicans get this ideal from the Bible, others get it from their own general sense of morality, but for one reason or the other, abortion is murder and under no circumstances should a routine pregnancy end in abortion (some will consent to abortion in the case of rape or if it endangers the mother's life.)  Democrats think that abortion is not murder, since a fetus is not a baby, and noone can decide for a woman whether or not she should be carrying a baby.  Adoption results in a bad upbringing a lot of the time, so abortion looks like the only choice for some people.  A lot of Democrats don't agree with abortion personally, but don't think that the government has any say over what a woman does with her own body.  The main distinction is between alive and not alive, and a mother's right and sanctity of life.  Republicans think fetuses are alive and value the sanctity of that life, Democrats think fetuses are not yet alive, and that mothers have the right to choose whether or not to have a baby.

Gay marriage:  In general, Republicans disagree with gay marriage, and this disagreement is almost exclusively tied in with religious beliefs.  A lot of professional Democrats also disagree with gay marriage, because it's hard to get elected to office in America if you're not religious.  But as a party, Democrats are more accepting of the idea of gay marriage, even sometimes with the religious belief that homosexuality is a sin.  Republicans think gay marriage would destroy the sanctity associated with marriage, and that marriage is a ceremony reserved for men and women, Democrats think that's just discriminatory homophobia.  Democrats interpret the first amdendment to mean that the citizens of the US shall be protected from religion, as well as religion being protected from government, but Republicans only think it says the latter of the two.  The issue is the confusion of civil and religious marriage - many Republicans disagree with gay marriage because they're disagreeing with religious gay marriage.  Civil marriage is recognized by the government and is disconnected with religion.  Democrats believe that if one tries to govern civil marriage based on religious principles, you've destroyed the first amendment, probably the 14th amendment, and turned America into a theocracy.

Taxes:  Republicans believe that everyone should carry their own weight, percentage-wise, and Democrats believe that the richer you are, the higher percentage you should pay.  America uses a tax bracket system which is set up the Democratic way, but Republicans can undermine that system by cutting only the higher tax brackets to relieve the tax stress on the extremely wealthy.  Democrats usually cut the middle class's taxes more than the upper class, since the middle class will benefit more from it.  The basic idea is whether or not you deserve to live the way you do: for Republicans, if you're poor, you deserve to be poor and the rich shouldn't help you, and for Democrats, the poor may deserve to be poor, but they don't deserve to live in poverty, and it falls to the rich to pick up the slack, since they have something to pick it up with.

The death penalty:  While Republicans value life on abortion, they don't value life in the case of criminal justice - this idea also sometimes stems from the Bible - the concept of an eye for an eye.  Republicans think that there are crimes one can commit that are worthy of being put to death, and Democrats do not.  One reason Democrats may not believe in the death penalty is the possibility of error in conviction, but that's becoming more and more negligible with today's forensics.  The reason most Democrats oppose the death penalty is they just don't think it's the government's place to be killing people for something they've done - lock them up forever, but a group of people deciding on the life or death of another person is just not the way things should go.

I agree with the Democrats on each of those issues (and also about preserving nature, which wasn't covered here).

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2004, 03:35:07 PM »

Yeah, well, as reimero said:
The proof is in how she responds to ideas introduced: if all she's CAPABLE of is spouting Demublican propoganda, she is definitely sheep. If she demonstrates the ability to comprehend multiple sides of an argument (because there are often more than 2!) then she's worthy of a political discussion with Demosthenes

reimero

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2004, 03:37:42 PM »

Quote from: Raina
That's incredibly stupid. Sorry, but if you can't back up your own decisions, you're nothing but a sheep.

In what sense? I've heard both sides of it and chose for myself which side I felt I belonged with. I just don't feel yet equipped in fully arguing why I choose the Democrat party. I am new to politics afterall, and I know that my friend is better with it than I am. I'm not claiming to know everything about politics, just that I agree with the Democrat standpoint on the several issues I've heard.

Disclaimer: I'm not nitpicking.  If you truly seek to inform yourself, your journey is only beginning.

There are more than 2 sides.  Many Americans don't realize that, which is why so many of us are disgruntled and disenfranchised.  That doesn't mean I'm questioning your aligning yourself with the Democrats.  It means that as you explore the political landscape more fully, you may find political theories that more closely conform to your true feelings and opinions.

The first point of order is to inform yourself properly.  All news sources are biased.  Once you grasp this basic concept, and grasp that you can't get unbiased news, you CAN use multiple sources to get a more complete picture.
The second point of order is to question everything.  Why does what is said matter?  How does it really affect things?  What is political grandstanding, and what is policy leadership?

Politicians preach to the choir in the hopes of getting a bunch of "amens" and a few converts.  Don't be part of the choir: listen to what lies underneath.  Understand what both sides are trying to accomplish.  Inform yourself as to why raising minimum wage is such a contentious, hot-button topic and not simply mean-spirited Republicans trying to keep people down.

I love politics, I really do!   :D

Raina

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2004, 03:41:53 PM »

Yeah, well, as reimero said:
The proof is in how she responds to ideas introduced: if all she's CAPABLE of is spouting Demublican propoganda, she is definitely sheep. If she demonstrates the ability to comprehend multiple sides of an argument (because there are often more than 2!) then she's worthy of a political discussion with Demosthenes

I do understand the different sides.

reimero

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2004, 03:52:53 PM »

Okay, time for some points of order here:

Foreign policy:  Where they differ is on Iraq - Bush went to war with Iraq as a preemptive measure, and rather than try to resolve things through the UN, he went for the full-scale invasion.  If it had been a Democrat, he would have probably acted with the UN to ensure that weapons inspections took place, and not commit as many troops.

Point of fact: the UN was stonewalling.  France made it abundantly clear they would not, under any circumstance, support the use of force in Iraq.  Period.  Whether we should have used force is a fair question.  Discussions of building a UN-led coalition are nothing short of revisionist grandstanding designed to win votes.  A UN-led coalition became impossible the minute France drew that line in the sand.

Abortion:

This is a topic I'd really rather not go back into, I'm all abortion-discussioned out for the day.

Gay Marriage:

The Republicans are split.  The fiscal (Cheney) Republicans don't care.  The moral majority Republicans are absolutely against it.

Taxes:  Republicans believe that everyone should carry their own weight, percentage-wise, and Democrats believe that the richer you are, the higher percentage you should pay.

That's a little bit simplistic:  current Republican thinking is that lower taxes encourage higher spending, and the higher up the scale you go, the greater the overall impact.  By reducing taxes for the top tier of incomes as well as companies, they spend more money, including in the form of wages (both in the number of employees as well as in how much they get paid.)  The benefits reaped by the top find their way indirectly to the middle and lower income brackets.  This is commonly called "trickle-down economics" (formerly Reaganomics.)  Democrats argue that it doesn't work because instead of spending, the beneficiaries invest or save.

The Death Penalty

By and large, Republicans do very much support the death penalty, but so do Democrats, by and large.  This is not a party-line issue.

Nate

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2004, 10:28:31 PM »

If I could vote, I would vote for Bush. For one, he wants to upgrade our armor and weapons etc.. Hell, if our boys come home safe who should complain? Secondly, he actually shows expression an meaning when he gives speeches. It actually seems like this is something he is passionate about. Kerry on the other hand always seems to have that Frankenstein boring old man look to him. Never smiles, never really changes his tone, always just boring and monotoned. It just doesn't seem like something he is really ardent about.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »

If the reason they are out there is for a war on oil, which I am not saying is entire true just using an example, then I think people might care about the guy being president. Second, If you think he is expressive*, I wish the white house and US news media would use the style of Europe with interviewing politicians. They try to catch them without a prepared speech, so you basically have an intellectual discussion. Sometimes...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040625-2.html

Transcript of a Bush interview given to a reported from ireland.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2004, 10:12:32 AM »

Quote from: Nate
If I could vote, I would vote for Bush. For one, he wants to upgrade our armor and weapons etc.. Hell, if our boys come home safe who should complain? Secondly, he actually shows expression an meaning when he gives speeches. It actually seems like this is something he is passionate about. Kerry on the other hand always seems to have that Frankenstein boring old man look to him. Never smiles, never really changes his tone, always just boring and monotoned. It just doesn't seem like something he is really ardent about.

Two points:

1) Our "boys" aren't coming home safe.

2) I certainly hope that when you're old enough to vote you choose your candidates on something more than their ability to use facial expressions during public addresses.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2004, 11:03:24 AM »

If I could vote, I would vote for Bush. For one, he wants to upgrade our armor and weapons etc..

+5 armor for everyone!

Hell, if our boys come home safe who should complain?

If they look both ways before crossing the street and hold mommy's hand, they'll be home in time for Sesame Street. No complaints here.

Secondly, he actually shows expression an meaning when he gives speeches.

And it got him that whole "Bush or Chip?" website for doing so.

It actually seems like this is something he is passionate about.

Of couse it is. Iraq hit close to home with him after Saddam done did his daddy wrong. This time, it's personal!

Kerry on the other hand always seems to have that Frankenstein boring old man look to him.

I prefer Lurch.

Never smiles, never really changes his tone, always just boring and monotoned.

Not to defend Kerry, but I think that's the Botox doing that. Supposedly you can't move your forhead at all after the shots. Possibly other areas of the face as well.

It just doesn't seem like something he is really ardent about.

That's only because he still can't give a straight answer about where he stands on the issue. I bet that's only because he doensn't know his own position on it yet. But hey! When you're whole campaign is based bascially upon "HEY VOTE FOR ME! I'M NOT BUSH!" you really don't have much else to go on.

I hear there is a rumor that Kerry was in Vietnam. Confirm\Deny?
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nate

• Troll
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2004, 03:33:02 PM »

He was, but he didn't do any of the heroic stuff he says he did. There is a lot of proof, even from people who were in Vietnam with him.

btw, they are making a video game that should come out next month. You play John Kerry in Vietnam. Pretty lame if you ask me...

Lolxxor, I just found this out, this definatly will make sure he doesn't win Wisoconsin...

"... You, wearing your BLAZE ORANGE CAMOUFLAGE at LAMBERGE FIELD...." - John Kerry

1: ) Who wears blaze orange for camouflage!?
2: ) Its LAMBEAU FIELD you dick...

Law

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2004, 09:37:22 PM »

He was, but he didn't do any of the heroic stuff he says he did. There is a lot of proof, even from people who were in Vietnam with him.

There's actually no proof. Just people paid to say that "they served with John Kerry." In fact, none of the people in SBVFT actually has ever served with John Kerry. They were just in the same country at the same time. That and he never says he did anything heroic. The two people who's lives he saved say he was a hero, and the US Army says he was valorous in combat.

You should always read the other side of the story, don't live on one side's drivel.

Hunters, so they don't shoot each other.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Nate

• Troll
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2004, 09:47:09 PM »

for camouflage

I am a hunter and you don't wear blaze orange for camouflage. Yes, you wear blaze orange so you don't get shot, but that is for gun hunting. He was saying for camouflage, like duck hunting and bow hunting, you wear green and brown and cattails and leaf patterns... btw, John Kerry also got an "F" rating from the NRA, whatever that means...

And Law, obviously he isn't true about something cause the Vietnam vets hate him...
http://members.aol.com/viperash50/links/links.html

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2004, 12:02:17 AM »

hate != wrongitude
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Dan

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2004, 09:27:39 AM »

I would have to go with the Bush man on this one. ALthough I am to young to vote, I would go with him. Out of all of the people running I feel that he would be the best. The communists, well, just suck. I don't agree with their views on thing. Nader, nothing good at all. Green, do they even have any body yet, and Kerry, thinks hes great cause he went to Vietnam.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2004, 10:15:22 AM »

And Law, obviously he isn't true about something cause the Vietnam vets hate him...

You're citing an AOL link as "proof"? Get real.
From said AOL link:
Not just Anti Kerry, Anti Stupid ,Egotistical, Liberal, Democrats

:roll:

btw, John Kerry also got an "F" rating from the NRA, whatever that means...

If you don't know what it means, don't bring it up. The NRA gave Kerry an F rating because of his stance on gun control. http://www.nrapvf.org/kerry/Read.aspx?ID=4086

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2004, 10:24:00 AM »

Lolxxor, I just found this out, this definatly will make sure he doesn't win Wisoconsin...

"... You, wearing your BLAZE ORANGE CAMOUFLAGE at LAMBERGE FIELD...." - John Kerry

2: ) Its LAMBEAU FIELD you dick...

I hope people don't vote based on an off-hand remark and a pronounciation mistake. You're insulting the intelligence and political aptitude of Wisconsin voters like myself.

If you two want to survive in the Political Opinion forum, you better start coming up with real arguments, not superficial crap, and backing it up with real evidence from trusted sources.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2004, 11:31:54 AM »

I would try to back someone right now... but my English paper is due tommorow.

Law

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2004, 02:42:47 PM »

Wow, that's a stunning source you've got there. You should work for CBS.

Anonymous

Kerry or Bush
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2004, 04:01:43 PM »

I get my facts from Fox!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2004, 04:07:02 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
I get my facts from Fox!

That left-wing propaganda machine? It's Free Republic or nothing at all!
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2004, 04:12:11 PM »

Slashdot, the only source!

avalanche

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodcontour.com/
Kerry or Bush
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2004, 04:51:41 PM »

Quote from: Crystalmonkey
Slashdot, the only source!
Slashwhat?  Is that a satellite channel?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9