The Geek Forum

• May 19, 2024, 03:59:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129643
  • Total Topics: 7191
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: WOW!  (Read 14512 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
WOW!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2004, 04:45:49 PM »

Quote from: Crystalmonkey
I'm just wondering why everyone is so happy that we are "bringing democracy to Iraq" when this is almost the same thing missionaries thought when trying to convert natives in foreign lands (realitive to Europe).

"Who" is happy about "bringing democracy to Iraq"?

:?:

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2004, 04:55:17 PM »

Sorry, should have been a bit more specific, why those who try to justify the war in Iraq use democracy, and those who just eat it up.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2004, 05:33:10 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes

"Who" is happy about "bringing democracy to Iraq"?

:?:

Certainly not the Iraqis, from what I've been fed by the media.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
WOW!
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2004, 08:26:00 PM »

On an interesting sidenote re: Bush being LOL DUMB, if you look back at a bunch of the stuff he said when he was governor, he never projected the "hurr hurr can't English talk" vibes that he gives off now.

Curious.

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2004, 06:13:21 PM »

Judge, I think you missed what I was saying about the war being political suicide.

Some one who knows that what they're about to do will cost them will not engage in that activity unless they feel there is something to gain.  Bush is not stupid, no one doubted that the war would likely cost him the election, we've never gotten much oil out of Iraq and don't need to, and a country isn't going to go to war over a personal vendetta, despite that ridiculous rumor otherwise.  So what is it?  I can only see one possible conclusion.  Those that called the shots must have thought that Iraq posed some sort of imminent threat, and that threat was worth the cost.

When I mention political suicide, I'm pointing out my feeling that Bush believed taking on Iraq was worth his political career.  I also think that there are plenty of open-source reasons to support that.  That's not to say there weren't mistakes, and that I really had to think hard about it before making my choice.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2004, 06:36:39 PM »

I'm afraid I will have to disagree.

First: If he honestly, and I mean HONESTLY, felt that there was a threat there then he wouldn't have thought it suicide.

Second:

"When I mention political suicide, I'm pointing out my feeling that Bush believed taking on Iraq was worth his political career. I also think that there are plenty of open-source reasons to support that. That's not to say there weren't mistakes, and that I really had to think hard about it before making my choice.

There is something you are leaving out of your statement. If he thought it was suicide, he probably had something in mind. I agree on that point, but what he had in mind does NOT have to be the war on terror, or even the possibility for oil. We cannot say with a degree of certainty that he went for one reason or another, unless you claim to be Psychic. We can make an educated guess of course, based upon prior instances and future trends, but nothing is for certain.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Anonymous

WOW!
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2004, 08:23:52 AM »

Quote from: Rico
Bush is not stupid

Rico, you give bush too much credit. I've reconsidered my position and came back to the conclusion that he is an idiot. In fact, I will illustrated this by quoting him and I'll even stick to things that are not Iraq or war on terrorism related:

"We need an energy bill that encourages consumption."
—Trenton, New Jersey, Sept. 23, 2002

"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods." —Austin, Texas, Dec. 20, 2000

"It would be helpful if we opened up [the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge]. I think it's a mistake not to. And I would urge you all to travel up there and take a look at it, and you can make the determination as to how beautiful that country is." —White House press conference, March 29, 2001

"Anyway, I'm so thankful, and so gracious—I'm gracious that my brother Jeb is concerned about the hemisphere as well." —June 4, 2001

"First, we would not accept a treaty that would not have been ratified, nor a treaty that I thought made sense for the country."—Kyoto Accord, April 24, 2001

"I know that human beings and fish can coexist peacefully." —Sept. 29, 2000

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants."—Jan. 14, 2001

"If you're worried about caribou, take a look at the arguments that were used about the pipeline. They'd say the caribou would be extinct. You've got to shake them away with a stick. They're all making love lying up against the pipeline and you got thousands of caribou up there."—George Bush Sr., speaking about the Alaskan pipeline, Oct. 31, 1991

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."

"I would like to thank Nasal Beard for that warm welcome." George Bush, thanking Hazel Beard, mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana, in 1992.

"This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve" (remarks during "Perseverance Month," Los Angeles Times, Jan. 28, 2000).

"The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case" (San Antonio Express-News, Jan. 30, 2000).

"The legislature's job is to write law. It's the executive branch's job to interpret law" (Nov. 22, 2000).

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test'' (Feb. 21, 2001).

"I've coined new words, like misunderstanding and Hispanically" (March 29, 2001).

"I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here" (Aug. 13, 2002).

"That's why I went to the Congress last September and proposed fundamental—supplemental funding, which is money for armor and body parts and ammunition and fuel."—Erie, Pa., Sept. 4, 2004

"Secondly, the tactics of our—as you know, we don't have relationships with Iran. I mean, that's—ever since the late '70s, we have no contacts with them, and we've totally sanctioned them. In other words, there's no sanctions—you can't—we're out of sanctions."—Annandale, Va., Aug. 9, 2004

"Tribal sovereignty means that, it's sovereign. You're a—you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And, therefore, the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004

my favourite
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"I mean, if you've ever been a governor of a state, you understand the vast potential of broadband technology, you understand how hard it is to make sure that physics, for example, is taught in every classroom in the state. It's difficult to do. It's, like, cost-prohibitive."—Washington, D.C., June 24, 2004

"Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."—May 27, 2004

"I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein."—May 25, 2004

"In an economic recession, I'd rather that in order to get out of this recession, that the people be spending their money, not the government trying to figure out how to spend the people's money."—Tampa, Fla., Feb. 16, 2004

"In my judgment, when the United States says there will be serious consequences, and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse consequences."

"I was a prisoner too, but for bad reasons."—To Argentine President Nestor Kirchner, on being told that all but one of the Argentine delegates to a summit meeting were imprisoned during the military dictatorship, Monterrey, Mexico, Jan. 13, 2004

"Just remember it's the birds that's supposed to suffer, not the hunter."—Advising quail hunter and New Mexico Sen. Pete Domenici, Roswell, N.M., Jan. 22, 2004

"So thank you for reminding me about the importance of being a good mom and a great volunteer as well."—St. Louis, Jan. 5, 2004

"As you know, these are open forums, you're able to come and listen to what I have to say."—Washington, D.C., Oct. 28, 2003

Shall I go on? I can do this all day.

In fact, your faith in Bush has inspired me to write an article for the main page called "Inside the mind of GW".

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
WOW!
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2004, 08:25:34 AM »

Crystalmonkey said something that made sense!!!!

But.................

I.......   it doesn't............................

But.......................

I can't............................................

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2004, 08:30:08 AM »

*reboots Demosthenes*

avalanche

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodcontour.com/
WOW!
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2004, 08:33:57 AM »

I like George Bush's ability to explain things the way they were explained to him. And you can always tell when one is coming, because he says 'in other words' about words that usually didn't need other words.

He's like, 'Osama Bin Laden, still hidin'. In other words, playin' peek-a-boo.'"

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
WOW!
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2004, 08:36:47 AM »

......................................................... DemoBOT 2.4.22 kernel
Loading base DemoBOT filesystem.................................[OK]
Checking for system changes........................................[OK]
Loading sarcasm module...............................................[OK]
Loading political cynicism...............................................[OK]
Loading Laziness@Workv3.07.........................................[OK]
Loading Vent@St00bsv2.1..............................................[OK]
Activating seek-and-destroy algorithm............................[OK]
Starting observational humor module...................................................
...................................................................................[OK]

Welcome to DemoBOT 2.4.22!

login:

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2004, 08:38:09 AM »

Quote from: avalanche
I like George Bush's ability to explain things the way they were explained to him. And you can always tell when one is coming, because he says 'in other words' about words that usually didn't need other words.

He's like, 'Osama Bin Laden, still hidin'. In other words, playin' peek-a-boo.'"

Didn't someone on Last Comic Standing use that?

avalanche

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodcontour.com/
WOW!
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2004, 08:40:22 AM »

Yup.

*Nominiates this post for "Best post EVAH! OMFGLOL!!11!"*

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2004, 01:30:11 PM »

Demo, I thought the exact same thing when I read  Crystal's post.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2004, 06:47:36 PM »

Hehe, I'm not sure whether I should be offended or applaud the fact that you guys have found my game. Oh well. If you must know, for whatever reason even though I am not a stupid person, I like to act stupid. You could say I am trying to understand why people act, or even that I am just trying to get a laugh, but at the least if it turns I am wrong, it's just an idiot saying another stupid thing, and if I am right, then "Wow, the idiot got it right." Perhaps not the best approach, but still an approach none the less.

Edit: There is a method to my madness. Hopefully more method than madness.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
WOW!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2004, 11:14:38 AM »

Personally, I think it was just a fluke.

Put the cork back on the fork, Crystalmonkey.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
WOW!
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2004, 01:38:46 PM »

When I was a kid my dog had flukes, but now with heartguard and other modern pharmeceuticals flukes aren't such a problem anymore.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2004, 11:59:28 PM »

I batted a .720 one season when I was playing baseball.  That was a fluke.  I never had another season with such a high average.

Also, I think there was an X-Files episode about a fluke that was the size of a human being.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Nate

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2004, 12:45:08 AM »

Well... I batted a .434 in tee ball, if I remember correctly. That maybe was a fluke, I never missed that damn ball I tell you! NEVER!

*crawls away into a hole  :cry: *

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2004, 01:11:36 AM »

Actually, if you were batting a .434, that means you got a hit 43.4% of the time.  Which means you didn't get a hit more often than you got a hit.  If you had NEVER missed the ball and ALWAYS got a hit, you would have had a batting average of .1000.

EDIT: Somehow schooling your sorry ass keeps getting more and more fun instead of getting old.

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2004, 01:20:20 AM »

Quote from: Crystalmonkey
I'm afraid I will have to disagree.

First: If he honestly, and I mean HONESTLY, felt that there was a threat there then he wouldn't have thought it suicide.

Second:

There is something you are leaving out of your statement. If he thought it was suicide, he probably had something in mind. I agree on that point, but what he had in mind does NOT have to be the war on terror, or even the possibility for oil. We cannot say with a degree of certainty that he went for one reason or another, unless you claim to be Psychic. We can make an educated guess of course, based upon prior instances and future trends, but nothing is for certain.

I'm hardly a mind-reader.  I know everyone else has praised this as making sense, but to me, it really doesn't.  I doubt there was anyone who thought this would be an easy victory.  It was represented as that because of the need for public support.  Just think about it.  We didn't have a workable exit stratagy in the first war, what's changed?  Not much.  I know it seems like I'm putting faith in President Bush's "goodness," but that's where you're wrong.  I'm putting faith in his greed, and the greed of his party.  There is no way that with the increadible preasure put on him by his own party to be re-elected, they'd let him go to war for no reason, or a poor one.  I think it takes something really big to get over that greed, and terrorism seemed to do the trick.  You can't vote on morals or some righteous platform.  Do you really think they care about abortion or rights?  They care about the influence they get from being in office.  Vote because you know what they'll do.  I know a republican will be good for the military, and I know that they'll use a strong arm in foreign policy.

The National Security Advisor to the President gave an interview this morning, and she did a pretty good job on explaining the situation.  There was everyreason to believe Iraq had Bio-Chem weapons and was attempting to develop a Nuclear program.  Sufficient evidence showed that while they didn't have nukes yet, they had the capacity to develop them within the decade.  For a country that activily supports anti-US terrorist activity, that's pretty serrious.  Everyone is trying to focus on the fact that we haven't found any WMD yet, rather than the fact that everyone believed they did at the time.  He did what he felt was needed.  Judge him on the things he actually did wrong, don't use propoganda to fuel your case.  There's plenty of other things to dislike him for.  Bottom line:  Vote for who's going to get you and the country the most, and throwing out half truths and misquotes in an effort to make the other side look worse doesn't cut it.  Vote for some one, don't NOT vote for some one else.  That's simply MHO.

Judge, every politician in history has butchered our language over and over.  Plenty of those statements are part of a larger dialogue and don't make sense without it, others are plain slips of the tongue.  Kerry has done the same on a few occasions.  So did the last several Presidents and Vice Presidents.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

Nate

• Troll
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2004, 01:57:03 PM »

Quote from: Vespertine
Actually, if you were batting a .434, that means you got a hit 43.4% of the time.  Which means you didn't get a hit more often than you got a hit.  If you had NEVER missed the ball and ALWAYS got a hit, you would have had a batting average of .1000.

EDIT: Somehow schooling your sorry ass keeps getting more and more fun instead of getting old.

I know this, and I looked back in the old newspaper crap in my scrapbook. I actually hit a .743 and it was in little league "coach pitch." I don't know if I ever told you, but I am pretty goodwith algebra. I have no clue what that has to do with anything, I am just trying to say that I understand the whole "decimal to percentage" thing.

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
WOW!
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2004, 02:15:29 PM »

Quote from: Nate
I know this, and I looked back in the old newspaper crap in my scrapbook. I actually hit a .743 and it was in little league "coach pitch." I don't know if I ever told you, but I am pretty goodwith algebra. I have no clue what that has to do with anything, I am just trying to say that I understand the whole "decimal to percentage" thing.

I don't think she was challenging your math skills, I think she was challenging your hitting-a-stationary-object-with-a-bat skills.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Nate

• Troll
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2004, 02:18:59 PM »

:oops:

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
WOW!
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2004, 03:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Law
I think she was challenging your hitting-a-stationary-object-with-a-bat skills.

I believe Law was right and just to add to it, to count as a hit you had to actually get on base.  Not just hit the ball.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?
Pages: 1 [2] 3