The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 07:45:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129623
  • Total Topics: 7186
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Books  (Read 1985 times)

Abomination

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/againstme356
Books
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:00:34 PM »

I'm guessing "Anarchy" is like Random Randomness, so...yeah.

For the past 2 years, I've obsessed over Dune, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, ect., as you can see from my username and e-mail address(that is, if anyone has read them).

Ayway, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend any other good books/series for me too read, I would love some new material, even if I still love Dune. Any suggestions?
"Some actions have a beginning but no end; some end but do not begin. It all depends on where the observer is standing." - Leto II

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Books
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 11:11:39 PM »

Have you read the Dune prequels that Brian Herbert put together? (You've read all six of the originals, right? Which was your favourite?)

I recently finished Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle of Quicksilver, the Confusion and the System of the World and they were fanastic. Three massive tomes, but I didn't want them to end.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Abomination

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Books
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 11:19:20 PM »

I have 2 of the prequels, i don't like them nearly as much as I like the ones Frank wrote. Uh...my favourite of the 6...probably Children of Dune and God Emperor...the first 4 of the saga are my top favorites.

And thanks, I'll check ot those books.
"Some actions have a beginning but no end; some end but do not begin. It all depends on where the observer is standing." - Leto II

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Books
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:15:04 AM »

The Dragonlance series of books is quite amazing. I'm surprised at how long they've been publishing them. Great reads all abound there.

The Lord Of The Rings is another series worth reading, it sorta speaks for itself if you know anything about it at all. Excellent choice there.

And for a final touch, The Chronicles Of Narnia. I remember reading these books quite a long time ago, and originally, never understood them very well. Now that I go back and re-read them, I find myself enjoying them now more than I ever did. Superb books.

Hope that's enough to keep you occupied for now.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Books
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 09:59:01 AM »

I really dug the first four Dune books.  I haven't read them since I was about 15 though, and I've been planning on rereading them for a while now.

"God Emperor Of Dune" really blew me away.  I think that was my favourite one of the bunch.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Books
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 11:38:50 AM »

Chapterhouse remains my favourite. I think it and Heretics covered the most amazing material from Herbert's mind. Of course, I can reread all six at any time without being bored, so there's something t say about all of them.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Abomination

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Books
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 08:37:54 PM »

Quote from: Dark Shade
The Dragonlance series of books is quite amazing. I'm surprised at how long they've been publishing them. Great reads all abound there.

The Lord Of The Rings is another series worth reading, it sorta speaks for itself if you know anything about it at all. Excellent choice there.

And for a final touch, The Chronicles Of Narnia. I remember reading these books quite a long time ago, and originally, never understood them very well. Now that I go back and re-read them, I find myself enjoying them now more than I ever did. Superb books.

Hope that's enough to keep you occupied for now.

:D Thanks...I've alreayd read all the LOTR and all the Narnia...actually, for my 12th birthday, i got a massive book with all the Narnia stories in it, i loved it dearly....