The Geek Forum

• May 03, 2024, 01:06:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129598
  • Total Topics: 7173
  • Online Today: 82
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: "Is Green really Green?"  (Read 1888 times)

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
"Is Green really Green?"
« on: March 12, 2005, 03:16:23 PM »

While thinking about what Judge said in his story, which I really like (Go Judge!), I was wondering about something.

Is the green that I see the same as the green that you see?

We don't have a real way of knowing this, as our mind may translate the messages differently. If that is the case, is it possible that all humans have the same favourite color, they just see it differently? My favourite shade of blue is the same as Person X's favourite red, but we are actually seeing the same thing.

Just a random thought I had.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
"Is Green really Green?"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 03:53:47 PM »

After reading TheJudge's articles and now this post, I think I can safely say....

my head asplode.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
"Is Green really Green?"
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 03:55:01 PM »

I think the basic answer to your question is that the human brain is wired for many things, including color perception. While you and I may argue over whether some shade of indigo is more blue than violet, I think most of us will agree that your favourite shade of blue is not my favourite shade of red.

Color blindness not withstanding.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
"Is Green really Green?"
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 03:55:12 PM »

I actually had a conversation about this with someone I work with; he's red-green colorblind.  So I was asking him what red or green looked like to him.  I was thinking that it would be like a shade of grey or something.  BUT, he tells me that he sees red or green and his brain interprets it as red or green.  I said, "But, is your red the equivalent of my chartreuse?  I'm not getting it."  Basically, we came to the conclusion that it would never be sufficiently explained because without sharing the exact same experience (as though having the experience via the same brain), we would never be able to understand how the other person interprets color.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
"Is Green really Green?"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 04:09:23 PM »

Quote from: xolik
After reading TheJudge's articles and now this post, I think I can safely say....

my head asplode.

Lemme go pick up a Squeegee.

catwritr, you're probably right, but like Vesp said, I guess we really have no way of knowing whether that is true or not.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275