The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 12:06:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129627
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 128
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: PC Take a Kick to the Mouth  (Read 1914 times)

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
PC Take a Kick to the Mouth
« on: April 03, 2005, 05:14:24 AM »

So, my sister goes to a smaller college in the southern part of Oklahoma.  While in one of her classes on day, her teacher starts running down the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.  The teacher says that it makes fun of blue collar workers and poor people from the south.  She procedes to explain to the class why they shouldn't watch it because it doesn't treat these poor people.

My sister, bless her little heart, raises her hand to be acknowledged.  Once the teacher allows her to speak, she asks her, "Have you seen it?"

"Well....  no, but..."

"Then how can you tell me what to think about it?"

Of course, the teacher didn't know what to say to that, so my sister kept on going.  She told the teacher that SHE was a redneck, and that's what they're called, and her whole family had beem blue collar workers for generations.  My sister continued with how we didn't need her to stand up for us, we were perfectly capable of doing it ourselves, and further more, we had enough pride in our heritage to not take offense when people were having a little laugh at our expense.  We don't mind, because to us, a laugh is more than worth any discomfort it may cause so long as it wasn't intended to be mean.  Also, those guys on the Tour had been blue collar workers all their lives, and they weren't making fun of other people, they were making fun of themselves.  They tell stories about the dumb stuff they've been a part of so that the rest of us can all laugh and say, "yeah we've done that too!"  So the last thing my sister told her was that we didn't need some dumb yankee who'd never even seen the routine she was running down telling us how we should feel about it and trying to defend us without our permission.  Class let out early that day.

To you high and mighty people that care so much about us poor white trash:

Suck it.  How dare you insult us by implying that we can't defend ourselves?  If I didn't like some one saying something, I don't need you to handle it for me.  I think I can take care of that myself.  I know your pathetic attempts to tell other people their being mean to us are really just you trying to show everyone how much better than me you are.  Well, guess what!  We have way too much pride in ourselves to be your next cause, so go find some other helpless demographic and stay the hell away from ours!
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 01:28:24 PM »

Hi, Rico! Glad to see you back.

Now, on to the subject at hand....there are some groups of people in this world that feel VERY guilty for just breathing, thus must constatnly apologize for every percieved 'injustice' they come across in order to try to validate their own existance. We call these people 'idiots' and they are plenty of them shoving their noses in affairs they know nothing about.

I must admit that I'm a bit confused by your thread title. I would have though the 'PC' crowd would have been 'LOLZ ALL REDNECK HICKS R RASCIST! ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE TEH NAZIS OMFG!1!' instead of trying to put up a defense. Strange....
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 04:10:39 AM »

ROFLOMGWTFLOL!!!1

Good to see you too, Xolik.  I'll have to call my sister today and read that to her.  She'll get a kick out of it.

btw, I noticed the Avatar.  That's hands down the coolest I've ever seen, and so fitting.  I'll be laughing about that one for a couple days too.  ;)
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

If someone badmouths media they haven't seen themselves, their opinion is immediately worthless to me.

WORTHLESS!

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 08:15:27 AM »

I know that this yankee found the Blue Collar Comedy Tour to be frickin hilarious.  Maybe it was because I understood that they were having a laugh at themselves and their families.

Good job on your sisters part.
--this space intentionally left blank--