The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 04:52:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Discussion #1: Patents/Copywrights/Etc  (Read 1637 times)

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
Discussion #1: Patents/Copywrights/Etc
« on: July 04, 2005, 02:55:46 PM »

I've been reading the book "Darknet" recently, a good book for those interested in "Hollywood vs Technology", and it brings up some interesting points about patents/copywrights/etc and what Hollywood is trying to do:

Right now people are creating their own form of interactive media, one where everybody can contribute or comment, like blogs and some websites such as ourmedia.com. Hollywood is concerned by this, after all their current business model is a one-way pipe that take content from them and sends it to us, something which doesn't allow us to play any part  in it, and they are forced with two options. Either Hollywood will change and start offering ways to include people, or it will use copywright law to arrest teenagers that are mixing their 'Property' and creating new products.

I'm not talking about pirates, I'm talking about the people that like to take parts of movies and make something new out of them by mixing and matching different things, or does a recreation of a movie like 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.' You'll be very lucky not to be sued.

Discuss:
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Quatra

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Discussion #1: Patents/Copywrights/Etc
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 02:10:54 AM »

It would be best for Holywood to include the people, don't you think? God knows they've been disconnected from them for the longest time. Movies havn't exactley been great latley, but then it certainly isn't a piece of cake to make a good movie when you can't get feedback on a piece before you make the damned thing, and you can't exactly re-shoot a million dollar movie several times to perfect it. Basicaly a director shoots a movie and feeds it to a test audience (usualy they don't re-shoot a movie unless a majority of the test audience gives a horrible review), then, hopefuly, the movie makes enough to cover its cost. If it doesn't, then chances are there won't be a sequel or anything (God also knows that there's been more then a few exceptions). If it does, then the director pretty much makes the same movie with a numeral at the end and feeds it to us saying "Gee, I sure hope they'll pay for this crap again."

Remember, they can't stop things as long as there on the internet. Just look out for black helicopters.