The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 06:27:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The search for your soul mate  (Read 30711 times)

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: The search for your soul mate
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 10:24:51 PM »

lol

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 10:27:08 PM »

He does have a cute ass.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 10:28:30 PM »

He does have a cute ass.

You owe me a coffee.  :lol:

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 11:53:18 PM »

Here's a picture of it. Don't you agree?

12AX7

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 11:55:29 PM »

lol

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2006, 12:03:40 AM »

Here's a picture of it. Don't you agree?

Seeing a link, I automatically clicked it, realizing too late what it said.

I'm happy that it's a picture of such a cute little ass.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 06:22:12 AM »

That's one hairy ass if you ask me.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2006, 11:35:46 AM »

Makes up for the hair not on his head

derry

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 10:32:40 AM »

So, if it is in fact true that there is only one person for you out there on the entire planet, then why is it that so many people find their life partners in their own backyards?

Soul mates often meet in their own backyards because they are "suppose" to meet.

It's okay not to believe in a "soul mate", but if so, you must also reject the concept of a "soul". Isn't it a foolish concept as well?

For me, both are very real. I agree that most people abuse the term "soul mate". People don't even have a grasp of their own "soul", much less that of a "soul mate". But, they are both very real.

Our capacity to love one another makes us worthy of an existence.

Nobody is worthy of existence.

If you think there is one single person out there who is just right for you, and you are just right for them, you are wrong. Stop looking for something that does not exists! Some people have wasted their lives searching for their true love, missing some very good opportunities along the way.

You have your own reality and that's fine. But, I wouldn't tell someone that they are wrong. You might think someone is living in ignorant bliss, but it really doesn't matter what you think. Again, I could make an argument that the soul "does not exist". Are people who spend time "soul searching" wasting their time as well??? After all, they could be out doing something else and taking advantage of "opportunities". In fact, opportunities, doing stuff, etc. means crap absent the soul. Existence itself has no real worth without it.

Sometimes, the love is not returned and that can be a painful experience. I have seen some people who were so afraid of being hurt by love that they stopped loving and hid from it like cowards. Some took up a hobby like golf or traveling; others hid behind their desks and became workaholics. But deep down, the need to be loved remains, and if that need isn’t fulfilled, then we grow to be miserable pathetic bitty old bags.

People understand love about as well as their "soul"...not at all. If you ask someone who they "are", they'll tell you about their job, what they drive, where they live. We bomb innocent people because of a greater "love". I agree with one thing..people are a disgrace. They are selfish assholes and that's the ultimate source of their misery.

What I am most proud of in our history as humans is the fact that this capacity to love is what allows us to evolve.

What history are your reading????? All I studied in history was War after War..strife...global conquest...rape and pillage...on and on. I missed the love chapter. What I'm most ashamed of in our history is the lack of love. Our evolution, creativity, etc. has nothing to do with love. If it was about love, we'd be hanging out in Eden doing nothing but screwing...a daily orgy.

In short, I agree with you though....we should love and have sex with as many people as possible. Soul mates can't be sought out because if one believes in a "soul mate", they must believe in destiny....and destiny is out of one's control. Getting laid however, isn't out of one's control. My philosophy is to love and have sex with as many people as possible...and if my soul mate comes along in this life...Great!!

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 11:41:48 AM »

Soul mates often meet in their own backyards because they are "suppose" to meet.

It's okay not to believe in a "soul mate", but if so, you must also reject the concept of a "soul". Isn't it a foolish concept as well?
Why? Must I abandon the concept of water just because I don't believe Jeebus walked on it?
For me, both are very real. I agree that most people abuse the term "soul mate". People don't even have a grasp of their own "soul", much less that of a "soul mate". But, they are both very real.

Yuh-huh!
You have your own reality and that's fine. But, I wouldn't tell someone that they are wrong. You might think someone is living in ignorant bliss, but it really doesn't matter what you think. Again, I could make an argument that the soul "does not exist". Are people who spend time "soul searching" wasting their time as well??? After all, they could be out doing something else and taking advantage of "opportunities". In fact, opportunities, doing stuff, etc. means crap absent the soul. Existence itself has no real worth without it.
Ummm.... okay.  There is no spoon unless you observe it.
People understand love about as well as their "soul"...not at all. If you ask someone who they "are", they'll tell you about their job, what they drive, where they live. We bomb innocent people because of a greater "love". I agree with one thing..people are a disgrace. They are selfish assholes and that's the ultimate source of their misery.
I bet you're a blast at parties.  You're such an up-beat people person!

What history are your reading????? All I studied in history was War after War..strife...global conquest...rape and pillage...on and on. I missed the love chapter. What I'm most ashamed of in our history is the lack of love. Our evolution, creativity, etc. has nothing to do with love. If it was about love, we'd be hanging out in Eden doing nothing but screwing...a daily orgy.
Your image of "love" is pretty twisted.  Throughout all of those wars and raping etc., love has been there.  But, then, so has soul and "observer".

In short, I agree with you though....we should love and have sex with as many people as possible. Soul mates can't be sought out because if one believes in a "soul mate", they must believe in destiny....and destiny is out of one's control. Getting laid however, isn't out of one's control. My philosophy is to love and have sex with as many people as possible...and if my soul mate comes along in this life...Great!!
Good Bob, I hope your soul mate is ready for you when/if they're found.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

derry

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 12:17:32 PM »

Your image of "love" is pretty twisted.  Throughout all of those wars and raping etc., love has been there.

LOL.

I don't care if people believe in a soul/soulmate or not.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 12:20:08 PM »

You are implying "destiny", which is unrelated. Let's assume that there is in fact such a thing as a soul, and such a thing as a soul mate (meaning that somewhere on this planet, a single person is the ultimate match for you). Even if such a thing exits, it does not automatically mean that the two individuals will ever encounter one other. If my soul mate isin China, and I never go there and she never comes here, then we'll never meet. But we are stil soul mates.

Something else you should consider: Assume my soul mate was currently residing in China, but tomorow she gets hit by a bus and dies, does that mean I no longer have a soul mate here on earth? And if that's the case, then how can anyone be sure their soul mate is still around?

There's just too many variables that make it improbable that we have just one soulmate that I beleive we have multiple soul mates where the definition then becomes "someone amongst many who's compatible".

Again, these are unrelated. I can certainly beleive in the existence of souls without beleiving in the existence of a soul mate.

That depends on who you ask. If you agree that some people are NOT worthy of an existence, like many who beleive in capital punishement for example, then be default you would have to beleive that the rest of people are worthy of existence. I don't know about you, but I value my own life, and the life of others. If you are a religious person, then the concept of existence goes beyond your time on earth. Some beleive that how you live your life on earth determines if you are worthy of an afterlife. There are many behaviors and beliefs that lead me to the conclusion that we are in fact worthy of an existence. In my case, I beleive it is because of our potential to love one another. You may disagree with that particular reason if you wish.

I will tell people that they are wrong if I beleive that they are wrong, but I accept that in doing so, I may sometimes be wrong myself. What I think matters. It matters to me, and it matters to those around me because my beleifs could influence their lives. And clearly, you feel that what I think matters since you took the time to respond.

If you did make a convincing argument that the soul does not exist, then by default you would also have made the argument that soul searching is in fact a waste of time. But since you didn't prove that yet, then you can't make that statement just yet. If you beleive we have a soul, and refer to soul searching as something personal (ei, an inner search of some kind, not the search for another person), then I would say that soul searching is essential to our existence because it makes up an important part of our personal identity.

Im going to disagree with you there. I think people understand love. Children understand love! It's simple and basic. What people don't understand is each other, and that's perhaps partly because they don't understand themselves at all, or because they understand themeselves so much that they forget that not everyone else works the same way. It's true that a lot of people will talk about there work and their assets when asked by a stranger who they are. But I think there's a simple explanation for it: Who I am is very personal and responding in the way you describe is certainly easier and more convenient. In fact, the response doesn't answer the question at all. I could tell you who I really am, but I don't feel like writting a book.

I'm reading the same history as you. I'm just reading it from a positive perspective instead of a negative one. You give the example that our history is fillled with wars, which you feel doesn't reflect the "love" I am describing. Look beyond the violent acts of war. Look at how wars can change people in a positive way. Loo at how humans try to leand a hand to one another during war, and after war. In WW2, many German families secretly took in Jewish families, or feed them, or gave them goods knowing fully well that if they were caught it would surely mean their deaths. They put their lives on the line for helping out strangers. Complete strangers. That's love.

Wars are generated by minorities of humans. Governments are minorities. Those who start wars are generally not directly involved in them. Washington is not pounded by missles. George Bush is not on the front line with an assault riffle. These minorities are in positions of power, and they use propaganda and media control to make their wars acceptable by others. Some individuals who see things with absolute clarity are immune to those tactics. They are the ones wo put their lives on the line to help out the innocents. They are the ones who spread the love. They are the ones who remind me that yes, we are worthy of an existence and that we are all humans.

In short, you don't agree with me!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 12:20:22 PM »

^^^^^ Sweet Cyric, that wasn't there a second ago!  :-o

It's not rape, it's suprise sex. The love is always there.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »

It's not rape, it's suprise sex. The love is always there.

Yeah. It's not rape if she blinks twice for "yes."

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2006, 01:15:21 PM »

Mace in the eyes just gets me hot.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

derry

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2006, 01:59:45 PM »

You are implying "destiny", which is unrelated. Let's assume that there is in fact such a thing as a soul, and such a thing as a soul mate (meaning that somewhere on this planet, a single person is the ultimate match for you). Even if such a thing exits, it does not automatically mean that the two individuals will ever encounter one other. If my soul mate isin China, and I never go there and she never comes here, then we'll never meet. But we are stil soul mates.

Something else you should consider: Assume my soul mate was currently residing in China, but tomorow she gets hit by a bus and dies, does that mean I no longer have a soul mate here on earth? And if that's the case, then how can anyone be sure their soul mate is still around?

Destiny and "soul mate" are related. You will meet your soul mate if you have one. Also, a soul mate is not always a "lover" in the typical hollywood fashion.

As far as existence, it's either a "gift" (religious) or a freak chance. It really isn't about "worth"..and only meaningful from a religious standpoint.

Im going to disagree with you there. I think people understand love. Children understand love! It's simple and basic.

At the most basic level, children understand "want" not love. Even as adults, we confuse want with love.

Look at how wars can change people in a positive way.

I have a good life, a nice home and I know it was built on oppression, genocide, war, etc. I know what you mean.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2006, 02:46:29 PM »

Destiny and "soul mate" are related.

In a logical discussion, you must often (if not always) support your theories/statements/ideaology with reason/evidence/facts/other theoretical work/etc...

I ask that you please show the relation between the two.

You will meet your soul mate if you have one.

Assuming the first condition ^^ is true.

Also, a soul mate is not always a "lover" in the typical hollywood fashion.

Define what you mean by "lover" then, and what a "lover in the typical hollywood fashion" is.

As far as existence, it's either a "gift" (religious) or a freak chance. It really isn't about "worth"..and only meaningful from a religious standpoint.

How do you determine worth and value? A dollar bill is nothing but a piece of paper, only worth something because we give it worth, given a value only because we value it. A dog would value a dollar as much as a rock or a newspaper, where as he would give much more value to food.

How do you give something meaning? Is it something inherent in an object? A mandate from heaven? (Who the hell combined "man" and "date" to create a synonym for order? What next, a manpurse?) Something arbitrary? Absolute?

At the most basic level, children understand "want" not love. Even as adults, we confuse want with love.

What is love? Who are you to say that your idea of love is closer to the truth, if you assume there is one "truth", than anyone elses?

Just trying to help...
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2006, 02:52:16 PM »

In a logical discussion, you must often (if not always) support your theories/statements/ideaology with reason/evidence/facts/other theoretical work/etc...

I ask that you please show the relation between the two.

Erm...the whole point of soul mates is that they're destined to be together...

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2006, 03:06:12 PM »

I disagree completely.  The concept of a soul mate is one person(s) above all others who is a perfect match for you.  Destiny doesn't have anything to do with it.  In theory, that person(s) is someone who exists, regardless of whether you ever actually meet them.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2006, 03:18:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure V is my soul mate. :-D

derry

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2006, 03:37:27 PM »

Thanks. Hopefully, I don't have to define "lover"...or "is".

How do you determine worth and value? A dollar bill is nothing but a piece of paper, only worth something because we give it worth, given a value only because we value it. A dog would value a dollar as much as a rock or a newspaper, where as he would give much more value to food.

How do you give something meaning? Is it something inherent in an object? A mandate from heaven? (Who the hell combined "man" and "date" to create a synonym for order? What next, a manpurse?) Something arbitrary? Absolute?

I'm not placing any value on anything. I'm saying existence only has worth from a spiritual/religious perspective. That's where one's "soul" comes into play.

What is love? Who are you to say that your idea of love is closer to the truth, if you assume there is one "truth", than anyone elses?

There's a difference between fundamental physiological needs, and actual love. I know what happens when needs aren't met or are threatened. If people kill for land to sustain their own family (which they love), doesn't mean it's a loving act.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2006, 03:41:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure V is my soul mate. :-D
And here I was, thinking that I am so deranged that the only person who could qualify as my sould mate would be Son of Sam.  Waidaminute, what'd you say your name was again???
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2006, 03:45:03 PM »

Thanks. Hopefully, I don't have to define "lover"...or "is".
Is there a particular reason that you feel the need to be condescending/insulting/a prick on a regular basis?  Take it easy.  It's a fairly casual discussion that doesn't merit you getting your panties all in a twist.

derry

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »

I disagree completely.  The concept of a soul mate is one person(s) above all others who is a perfect match for you.  Destiny doesn't have anything to do with it.  In theory, that person(s) is someone who exists, regardless of whether you ever actually meet them.

It just depends. Lots of different views, books, definitions, etc. regarding the soul and soul mates. From a Christian standpoint, the bible says God knows us before we are physically born. Other religions propose similar beliefs regarding the soul. Some believe there are groups of souls that "travel" together...throughout time...reincarnation, etc. Of course nobody knows for certain, however a common perspective is that soul mates are destined to be together. If we have a soul mates out there that we could never possibly meet, it really doesn't matter at all. They might as well not exist. If people believe in a soul as a separate thing from their physical body and part of some higher spiritual "aggenda", the idea of a "destined" soul mate often comes into play.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2006, 05:58:01 PM »

A pessimist Christian. Oh my favourite.

A soulmate is just the person who has the highest genetic compatibility to yourself. Vespertine is right, you may never meet them. You may never meet your top billion matches. It's the cruel nature of the world.

I believe that most people are valuable and worthy of existence, because most people can change the world and help shape society. Human beings have the ability to change whatever they're around, and that alone makes us worth it.

There is plenty of love in the world, most people live together in harmony, and the world is becomming ever more globalized, which requires all people to respect each other.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5