The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 05:54:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The search for your soul mate  (Read 30710 times)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Re: The search for your soul mate
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2006, 12:37:42 PM »

Yes, yes...but how do you measure that?
This is a totally valid question.
Some of the worst types of crime (and criminals) have led to laws that punish offenders more and more harshly.  I would never think a rapist/murderer/child molester would advance society.  But if you look at it from this perspective, they have in fact done some good for their fellow humans by prompting, by the barbarity of their acts, more severe punishments for future offenders.  By your definition Evonus, those criminals lives have worth.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2006, 01:07:36 PM »

This is a totally valid question.
Some of the worst types of crime (and criminals) have led to laws that punish offenders more and more harshly.  I would never think a rapist/murderer/child molester would advance society.  But if you look at it from this perspective, they have in fact done some good for their fellow humans by prompting, by the barbarity of their acts, more severe punishments for future offenders.  By your definition Evonus, those criminals lives have worth.

Not at all. Something was done because of them not by them. There is an extreme difference there.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2006, 08:08:10 PM »

Not at all. Something was done because of them not by them. There is an extreme difference there.

Yes, but previously you said:

By what that person, can and has accomplished that have caused humanity to move forward towards a more ideal world, and I'm not only refering to money here.

You didn't say their actions had to directly improve society. Such heinous criminals acted in a way that caused humanity to move toward a better world. Therefore, they are worthy.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2006, 08:10:08 PM »

Said by derry a while ago:
If it was about love, we'd be hanging out in Eden doing nothing but screwing...a daily orgy.

That's not love; that's lust.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2006, 08:12:56 PM »

A real life Karma system would be an interesting (and subjective) approach to measuring a person's worth.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2006, 08:21:28 PM »

A real life Karma system would be an interesting (and subjective) approach to measuring a person's worth.

It'd be just as subjective as Evonus's measurement system.
Which, by the way, I feel like poking holes in again...

I don't like or respect religion, especially when people use it to back up an argument. You can't use something no proof behind it to prove something.

I was expressing my opinion on the soul mate. I'm a bigtime science nerd, and I'm an atheist, so I referenced a scientific topic with proof behind it to back up my belief.

If you have no religious belief, give me your definition of "soul." And where's the proof in:

A soulmate is just the person who has the highest genetic compatibility to yourself.

?

Genetic compatibility? W.t.f.?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:28:57 PM by catwritr »

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2006, 09:05:03 PM »

Yes, but previously you said:

You didn't say their actions had to directly improve society. Such heinous criminals acted in a way that caused humanity to move toward a better world. Therefore, they are worthy.

Well, I'm not a politician or a lawyer, so my wording I'm sure isn't perfect. I meant it had to be something the person did or pushed for. I mean if someone starts a cause and is martyred for it, I still believe their life was worth while, but these criminals didn't want things to change the way they did.

I think I'd be dead. :(

It'd be just as subjective as Evonus's measurement system.
Which, by the way, I feel like poking holes in again...

All this hate for me lately. Did I piss you off that badly with that one sexist comment?

If you have no religious belief, give me your definition of "soul." And where's the proof in:

I don't particularly believe in souls, but the closest thing I could compare it to would be the person's mind or conciousness. They're usually the same thing, even in religion, only the mind is tied to the body while the soul is the next step for the conciousness after the end of the bodies time on earth. But since I don't believe in a next step I'm all about minds.

Genetic compatibility? W.t.f.?

Everything in an organism comes from their genes.(I'm a strong believer in that nature wins in nature vs nurture), but anyway qualities in people, which derived from their genes are favorable to some others that have qualities(genes) which cause them to be favorable. In lamens terms, Billy and Jeanie are a good match up because their personalities complement each other, while their personalities are derrived from their genes. So in a "soulmate" you have the person who's genetics cause them to be the best personality macth for you. Is my view clear or am I rambling?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2006, 08:29:23 AM »

If you have no religious belief, give me your definition of "soul."
I'd like to take a stab at that if I may...

As discussed in "What the Bleep Do We Know?", there really is no "self" or "observer" that we can examine in a tangible way.  Yet, somehow, we "are" and we "observe".

That's the soul.  When we die and the electrical charges stop creating communication within our bodies, the only thing that is lost is "self" or "observer".
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2006, 03:06:18 PM »

All this hate for me lately. Did I piss you off that badly with that one sexist comment?

Uh, debating doesn't require hate.  :roll:

Everything in an organism comes from their genes.(I'm a strong believer in that nature wins in nature vs nurture), but anyway qualities in people, which derived from their genes are favorable to some others that have qualities(genes) which cause them to be favorable. In lamens terms, Billy and Jeanie are a good match up because their personalities complement each other, while their personalities are derrived from their genes. So in a "soulmate" you have the person who's genetics cause them to be the best personality macth for you. Is my view clear or am I rambling?

If personalities are solely derived from genetics, explain how so many children can be polar opposites of their parents or siblings. Explain how my brother is the shy sensitive one and I'm outspoken and aggressive. We've got extremely similar genetics. Just looking at us, there's no question we're siblings. But as far as personalities go, in many ways we couldn't be more opposite.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2006, 03:25:19 PM »

If personalities are solely derived from genetics, explain how so many children can be polar opposites of their parents or siblings. Explain how my brother is the shy sensitive one and I'm outspoken and aggressive. We've got extremely similar genetics. Just looking at us, there's no question we're siblings. But as far as personalities go, in many ways we couldn't be more opposite.

Because you don't have the same genetic setup as your brother. Same reason siblings have different colored hair and eyes, and are different heights. Every normal human being on the planet has 2 sets of genes. During conception you randomly get a set from your mother and a set from your father. [There are 23 different types, each person has 46 chromosomes. So two sets. But the chromosomes can mix and flip around during meosis(reproductive cell making) so there are thousands of combinations. 23 to the second power to be precise. That's how many different sets you could make from one parent. So multiply that by itself and that's how many total possibilities you have for unique children.] Basically the point of all of that, you don't really ever get the same set from either parent. You and your brother could have completely different genes, the only thing that you two have in common is that half of them are from your mother and half of them are from your father.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

Got any proof that genetics determine personality?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2006, 03:43:52 PM »

Got any proof that genetics determine personality?

Your genes determine everything about your body which includes your brain, which is where personality and reactions are derrived from. If you want a link google it, I'm sure you'll find info that says it's caused by the enviroment in some articles and others will say it's caused by genes. I personally believe the gene side of it, because my brothers and I all grew up in a similar environment but all of us are completely different due to genetic differences. But there is no 100% proof either way, there rarely ever is though.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2006, 03:46:40 PM »

Because you don't have the same genetic setup as your brother. Same reason siblings have different colored hair and eyes, and are different heights. Every normal human being on the planet has 2 sets of genes. During conception you randomly get a set from your mother and a set from your father. [There are 23 different types, each person has 46 chromosomes. So two sets. But the chromosomes can mix and flip around during meosis(reproductive cell making) so there are thousands of combinations. 23 to the second power to be precise. That's how many different sets you could make from one parent. So multiply that by itself and that's how many total possibilities you have for unique children.] Basically the point of all of that, you don't really ever get the same set from either parent. You and your brother could have completely different genes, the only thing that you two have in common is that half of them are from your mother and half of them are from your father.
In that case, you had better be prepared to explain how identical twins, bearing in mind that they have identical DNA, can and often do have different personalities.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »

Ah, but though your brothers and you were provided the same home environment, your experiences outside of the home and even how your parents treated you separately or how you treated each other cannot be discounted as having no effect on personality. I'm not going to deny that genetics play no part in it. Whether we want to or not, we end up with some of our parents' traits.

I'm a bigtime science nerd, and I'm an atheist, so I referenced a scientific topic with proof behind it to back up my belief.

If you want a link google it, I'm sure you'll find info that says it's caused by the enviroment in some articles and others will say it's caused by genes. I personally believe the gene side of it, because my brothers and I all grew up in a similar environment but all of us are completely different due to genetic differences. But there is no 100% proof either way, there rarely ever is though.

A) I've yet to see you provide "proof."
B) If you're going to insist on using this as an arguing point, you should be prepared to provide quality research on it.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2006, 07:27:57 PM »

Vespertine/catwritr - Clearly you guys can't out-wit the HURRRRRR factor.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »

In that case, you had better be prepared to explain how identical twins, bearing in mind that they have identical DNA, can and often do have different personalities.

I want you to prove this. If you can I am obviously wrong, which I'm sure you would love.

Cat, I get most of my knowledge on the subject from books. Therefore I don't have a way to show you proof on here.

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2006, 10:29:09 PM »

I want you to prove this. If you can I am obviously wrong, which I'm sure you would love.

Cat, I get most of my knowledge on the subject from books. Therefore I don't have a way to show you proof on here.

ISBN, plzkthx.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2006, 11:16:30 PM »

Prove that identical twins have identical DNA?  No problem.  And please pay special attention to the fourth link, which has a mother describing the personality differences in her identical twin children.

How 'bout this? http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/050708_identical_twins.html

Or this: http://www.physorg.com/news73070448.html

Or maybe this: http://www.twinsworld.com/stats.html

Another: http://multiples.about.com/od/funfacts/a/differenttwins.htm

And yet another: http://www.genetree.com/relationship/twins.php

Satisfied yet, or should I keep going?

And these books don't have names that you can give us so that we can go out and read these books for ourselves?

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2006, 01:55:00 AM »

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2006, 06:45:15 AM »

Genetic compatability: Great... Now we need to come up with chromosone pick up lines.

HAH BUH BAY! KROMOZONES!! LOLOL~~  :-D

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »

Prove that identical twins have identical DNA?  No problem.  And please pay special attention to the fourth link, which has a mother describing the personality differences in her identical twin children.

How 'bout this? http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/050708_identical_twins.html

Or this: http://www.physorg.com/news73070448.html

Or maybe this: http://www.twinsworld.com/stats.html

Another: http://multiples.about.com/od/funfacts/a/differenttwins.htm

And yet another: http://www.genetree.com/relationship/twins.php

Satisfied yet, or should I keep going?
And these books don't have names that you can give us so that we can go out and read these books for ourselves?

Hmmm, fascinating. Okay I concede that I was wrong about things being based solely on DNA. However, based on what you just presented my definition can still stand, because even though twins are genetically identical due to their upbringing and such they do express different genes more strongly and such(I think it said this in the second link you posted.) So my definition of a soulmate as the perfect match for your genetic setup still is plausable.

As far as the books go, I'd have to look them up when I got back to Florida, but that won't be till December. =/ It may sound like I'm making excuses, but I'm not, I had to "move" to PA for an internship that I'm currently doing, and I won't be able to go back to my parents house till it ends.

Genetic compatability: Great... Now we need to come up with chromosone pick up lines.

HAH BUH BAY! KROMOZONES!! LOLOL~~  :-D

I love the way your cells are arranged. ;)

12AX7

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2006, 05:36:38 PM »

D.N.A.
Damn Nice Ass

12AX7

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2006, 05:40:22 PM »

"DUDE!! Check out the samples on that specimen!"

12AX7