The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 07:49:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: The Da Vinci Code Effect  (Read 12153 times)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
The Da Vinci Code Effect
« on: May 25, 2006, 02:26:44 PM »

If you haven’t heard about The Da Vinci Code, then you’re probably from another planet. We earthlings have heard nothing but the Da Vinci Code whether it’s the book, the movie, the TV special or the random book that explains the original book. But the aftermath, the reaction to the book is what makes things interesting.
The Da Vinci code is quite the phenomenon. I haven’t seen anything like it in a long time. Dan Brown, the author of The Da Vinci Code is simply a genius. Not only has he found a subject that is fascinating to most individuals, but he was able to create a plausible yet fictional story within the context of the catholic religion, the pagans, some religious organizations, renowned savants and artists, and actual locations. It is a controversial mix of history and context that tell a different tale then current beliefs and teachings of the Catholic Church. But it is still fiction. They author himself stated that although the context is based on real locations and real organizations, the story is a fabrication. A clever fabrication I my opinion.

What I find interesting is the aftermath of the book. The current Pope had made a public statement dated before becoming his holy Popeness. He said that anyone who read the book would go to hell. By making this claim, I wonder if he realized that he may just have fulfilled the Jehovah’s witnesses belief that only 144,000 people will actually make it to heaven, because that’s about the count of the people who didn’t read the book! But in all seriousness, the initial reaction of the Catholic Church was a little excessive and somewhat primitive in my opinion. Trying to prevent people from exposure to creativity and logic is something that would be done by oh… I don’t know… the Taliban Regime. Does the Church want to sink that low? And over what? A book that was always intended to be fictional! Maybe they didn’t get that memo.

Yesterday I drove by a religious store. They had a big sign outside advertising one of their books which was titled “The Da Vinci Code: Fact or Fiction”. Fiction! Dammit it’s fiction! The author said it was fiction, what the hell do you want more? Go to www.danbrown.com and see for yourself! I quote his website: “The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction.”

But the Church doesn’t seem to grasp the statements. Instead, they are organizing seminars! It’s true! On the 31st of this month, there is a priest who will come to one of the many churches in my town to “discuss” the Da Vinci code.

Don’t you think that in the end, the whole hype that was generated by the book was only accentuated by the actions and reactions of the Church? Don’t you think that it’s plausible that their response to a simple yet clever novel indirectly lead to the making of its movie? I mean, Angels and Demons, the other book by Dan Brown that features the brilliant escapades of Robert Langdon at a time prior to the events that take place in the Da Vinci Code was, in my opinion, even better, and more controversial: It implicates the heads of the Church in a very desperate plot to renew Christian faith, and the murder of the pope!
In the end, I have to ask myself if it really would matter if the story told in the Da Vinci code was in fact true. I mean, the story presented to us from a young age by the Catholic Church is a plausible one, but not a verifiable one. This would be true for the Da Vinci Code if the author had claimed it to be factual. You would have two stories that contradict each other, with two sides defending themselves against the other. Shouldn’t the spiritual journey be based on the values preached by the religious group, no matter which group it is, and not on claims that are not verifiable? In the end, would it really matter who was right and who was wrong? Personally, I wouldn’t really care if Jesus had married or not. I think it would be cool, but it doesn’t affect in anyway what I believe in today. It doesn’t change anything.

I had already rejected some of the doctrines of the Catholic Church prior to this book coming out, and it was because I didn’t agree with them personally. Not because of historical fact and claims. As an example, I disagree with the idea that women shouldn’t be allowed to become priests. You’d think that anyone who would willingly want to dedicate their lives to preaching the teachings of God would be welcomed with open arms, but no. The Catholic Church is an arrogant organization. It is a fact. They have demonstrated their arrogance and their refusal to evolve on so many occasions.  Because of this, I tend to adapt the preaching of my church to fit my lifestyle and my values. Many others do the same and that makes something that is more and more common: a modern Christian trapped in an obsolete Christian organization.
Christians in general do not want to abandon their church, but a lot of them feel like their church is slowly abandoning them. The slight discomfort within the organization is turning into a never ending awkward moment. It’s easy for a religious group to lay out a story and then use guilt tactics to make you believe them. But it’s getting harder and harder to keep people from questioning things. People evolve, they adapt, and they become more intelligent over time. It’s getting harder and harder for individuals to believe without seeing, and it’s not as easy for religion to rely on this blind faith tactic. It is sad that the Church, like a proud old fool, is too blind to face reality. That attitude will result in the downfall of Christianity. Mark my words.

In the end, all that The Da Vinci Code did was to give a little jolt of energy to those who stood still, one foot in their church, the other outside of it. The actual reactions of the Church made a bigger impact. They just gave a sudden push to the person standing in their doorway. As a result, they either really pissed off that person, or they managed to push them out completely. Way to go guys! And you wonder why the majority of the heads in your church benches are covered in gray hair! HA! You draw to you those you act like the most: Old fools.

Odd_Bloke

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
The Da Vinci Code Effect
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »

I'm not sure it's true that Dan Brown has been entirely honest about the fictionality of this account. How many people are likely to visit the website of a book they've only read because everyone else is? And how many of those who might are going to, if the contents of the book give them even more of a reason to be dismissive of the Catholic (and, so, Christian) faith?

The reason there is so much hype about this book is because the media have made it so. They've seized upon a book which they can twist to their anti-Christian PoV (excepting Fox, which is a bedfellow most Christians don't want) and blown it out of all proportion.

Another possibility is that people couldn't believe that such a badly-written (if gripping) story could be as popular as it is, without some element of truth to it... :P

Dan
"I am, after all," said Pooh, "a bear of very little brain." -- A.A. Milne

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
The Da Vinci Code Effect
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

Quote from: Odd_Bloke

The reason there is so much hype about this book is because the media have made it so. They've seized upon a book which they can twist to their anti-Christian PoV (excepting Fox, which is a bedfellow most Christians don't want) and blown it out of all proportion.

Dam libural media!  :roll:

It's nothing more than a passing trend that will die out in a few months. Thankfully, we Americans have the attention span of a gerbil and will soon move on to bigger, more idiotic things.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
The Da Vinci Code Effect
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »

I think it's funny that a work of fiction can rile up the religious right so much. How strong is your faith if you are threatened by a story based on a theory?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
The Da Vinci Code Effect
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 11:38:30 PM »

The more Christians that abandon their faith, the more converts I get to the life-altering phenomenon that is Synergism!

Their walle--beliefs are very precious to me, and I want to show all of them how Synergism will renew their faith in God or whatever!

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
The Da Vinci Code Effect
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:07:34 AM »

I'm not sure it's true that Dan Brown has been entirely honest about the fictionality of this account.
He certainly wwasn't dishonest. I won't say he made every effort to warn people that his novel was fiction. I mean, he's trying to sell a book and what's as better incentive that a little religious controvercy? He did say in interveiws that the story of his book is based on "rumors" of this conspiracy have been whispered for centuries in countless languages.

It's a conspiracy theory only until proven otherwise. He was always honest about that.

They've seized upon a book which they can twist to their anti-Christian PoV and blown it out of all proportion.

That's what the media does best with anything. It's in their nature. Just look at tabloids and thoe whole idiotic concept of a "celebrity". They are just people like you and I. But the media turns them into Gods.

...without some element of truth to it... :P

Well it does.

Quote from: From the book
FACT:

The Priory of Sion—a European secret society founded in 1099—is a real organization. In 1975, Paris's Bibliothèque Nationale discovered parchments known as Les Dossiers Secrets, identifying numerous members of the Priory of Sion, including Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Leonardo da Vinci.

The Vatican prelature known as Opus Dei is a deeply devout Catholic group that has been the topic of recent controversy due to reports of brain-washing, coercion, and a practice known as "corporal mortification." Opus Dei has just completed construction of a $47 million National Headquarters at 243 Lexington Avenue in New York City.

All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate.

Quote from: xolik
It's nothing more than a passing trend that will die out in a few months. Thankfully, we Americans have the attention span of a gerbil and will soon move on to bigger, more idiotic things.

Now there's the absolute truth!

It's funny, I was reading the paper the other day and the front page was about the reaction to The Da Vinci Code by 3 catholic priests from north eastern New Brunswick (French and rural region). Well, two of them didn't read the book, but certainly had an opinion on it. If of these two even said something like "It's just rubish so why would I read it?". I would ask that person "How do you know it's rubish if you didn't actually read it?". I find it amusing that people will make statements with conviction regarding a topic they no absolutly nothing about. The third Priest, the one who actually read the book, said it was a really good book, well written, made you feel like you were there living the suspense, etc. He only had praises for the book and was looking forward to seeing the movie! He added that the contents of the book made him consider certain things but that in the end, it didnt' really influence his faith. He just said that while it was a good story, it still was a fictional story and that he himself had long ago chosen which faith to follow. "That's what faith is" he said "and if you are to question it or renounce it everytime someone says something contradictory to your faith, then it's because you really had no faith to begin with". Over all, I thought his reaction was positive and I respected his convictions. At least he took the time to read teh darn thing, and for him to stand up and say "yeah, it's a good book", I thought that was pretty cool.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
The Da Vinci Code Effect
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 12:27:02 PM »

If I were to go to church it would be to the third guys.  As most of you know I'm not religious (unless you count pastafarianism), but I've been to numerous churches for various reasons--weddings, funerals, my wife guilting me into going with her (she's Episcopalian).  I was even married by an Episcopalian priest.  My wife's mother was insisting that I be baptized and convert.  My wife and I talked it over with the guy and he said, that wouldn't be necessary.  He said I could believe what I wanted and that his church will be there for me if and when I need it.  Now that is a religious dude I can respect.  The third guy sounds similar.

Belsazar

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Da Vinci Code Effect
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 10:49:37 PM »

Jehovah’s witnesses belief that only 144,000 people will actually make it to heaven

Doesn´t mean the rest will die.
Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?

Aleister Crowley: Because it was his Will, and therefore the Whole of His Law.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 03:23:28 AM »

Jehovah’s witnesses belief that only 144,000 people will actually make it to heaven

Doesn´t mean the rest will die.

Doesn't mean you should raise a half-dead main page thread.

Belsazar

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 03:25:00 AM »

I feel ashamed.
Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?

Aleister Crowley: Because it was his Will, and therefore the Whole of His Law.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 03:25:29 AM »

I feel ashamed.

And neglected? Don't take it too harshly, just try not to do it again.

QueenBee

• Banned Off Her Throne
  • Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 10:34:51 AM »

guys...it's just fiction...maybe some of you believe that Hobbiton,Middle Earth or Hogwarts are real too,huh? :))) but what do you know what's real when most geeks live the best of their lives playing computer games...L.A.M.E !!!

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 11:18:10 AM »

Hobbiton is IN MIDDLE EARTH YOU DUMB IDIOT GEEZ IF ONE IS REAL THE OTHER HAS TO BE

QueenBee

• Banned Off Her Throne
  • Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 11:24:05 AM »

sorry honey but I dont waste my time with Middle Earth stuff...maybe you should focos more on the Actual Earth....but hey if u dont belong in a society you gotta find another one....hey do you have the huge hairy hobbit feet as well?? :D and the belly? ure adorable

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 11:27:14 AM »

haha yeah well we'll see who's laughing when the armies of Saruman burn your village to the ground and we're safe in the Shire  :mrgreen:

QueenBee

• Banned Off Her Throne
  • Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 12:26:55 PM »

yes but so happens,honey,that my 'village' called Russia has more mass-distruction weapons that the US and Japan together :)) so lets see who burns who :))

pixelized

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 01:24:55 PM »

Fundamentalist christians are what put most people off the idea of religion. Maybe in a couple of hundred years christianity will have evolved and be more open to ideas; in other words they'll have stronger minds.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 01:40:17 PM »

Fundamentalist christians are what put most people off the idea of religion. Maybe in a couple of hundred years christianity will have evolved and be more open to ideas; in other words they'll have stronger minds.

Hopefully in a couple of hundred years Christianity will have finally died.  :evil:
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »

Hopefully in a couple of hundred years religion will have finally died.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 03:00:30 PM »

Hopefully in a couple of hundred years religion will have finally died.

You sir, speak the truth. :mrgreen:
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 12:01:31 PM »

sorry honey but I dont waste my time with Middle Earth stuff...maybe you should focos more on the Actual Earth....but hey if u dont belong in a society you gotta find another one....hey do you have the huge hairy hobbit feet as well?? :D and the belly? ure adorable

* Demosthenes puts on his wizard's hat and robe

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 01:35:56 PM »

Maybe you should focus on learning how to spell and use grammar properly. OMG! Did you actually take the time to spell out a "you" in that post? I can't believe it!

haha yeah well we'll see who's laughing when the armies of Saruman burn your village to the ground and we're safe in the Shire :mrgreen:

LMAO +1 OMFGLOLZ

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 01:40:18 PM »

yes but so happens,honey,that my 'village' called Russia has more mass-distruction weapons that the US and Japan together :)) so lets see who burns who :))

all ur oligarch's wmds will count for nothing when Sauron's fiery eye is upon u  :evil:

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 01:47:59 PM »

Ditto.

And thems Uruk-Hai be like the cockroaches: immune to nuclear weapons.