The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 10:43:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Crime (And Punishment)  (Read 29241 times)

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
Re: Crime (And Punishment)
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »

Has Paladin met Evonus yet?
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 01:20:31 PM »

Paladin may've been sarcastic. Only time will tell.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 01:30:23 PM »

Well since this argument has been mainly demo and crystal monkey agree I figure I'll throw in my opinion. If you're going to ridicule me, don't read my post. If you want to debate, feel free.

Prisons should be rehabilitative wherever possible, provide humane separation of non-rehabilitory inmates from the rest of the law-abiding population when rehabilitation is not possible, and never punitive.

I agree with this for the most part. I do believe that a guy who raped and killed 15 people shouldn't be housed with a guy arrested for car theft. I don't agree with the "never punitive" thing.

If the goal of a free society is to protect the rights of individuals, it is necessary to remove those people from society who cannot refrain from violating the rights of others.

I agree.

It is not the place of the State to decide to "punish", but I do believe it is well within the State's authority to detain and separate.

I disagree. It is the states job to deal with people that can not operate normally within society. Now, I'm sure we'd disagree with which punishments would be assigned for the most part, but I think we can both agree jail time is a deterrent. Thieves and con men are put in jail for a certain amount of time as a punishment, so that when they get out they won't take the easy way out. Jail is simply another method of teaching people to operate within the bounds of society, and not try to take the easy way out, no matter what that is. Some people need to have a fear of a punishment hanging over their heads to not commit a crime. It won't deter everyone, but I don't think anyone besides homeless people who are starving to death wants to go to jail, so it will make people at least step back and think, "is this worth it."

Because of this, and because of the fact that I simply don't believe any government should have the authority and power to end the life of anyone -- regardless of what crime has been committed -- I'm opposed to anything beyond simple detention for those who are non-rehabilitative, and I believe that it is in the best interests of a free society to provide a realistic, reasonable path to rehabilitation for any who express a genuine desire for it.

This part I don't agree with, and it's simply because it just seems pointless to me to provide for people that can't ever amount to anything or contribute anything. I think that since they are basically the waste products of society that they should be disposed of, as efficiently as possible. They aren't worth anything because they can not operate with other people. It's not worth it to hurt other people emotionally, physical, or monetarily for these people, because they are worthless.

I'm also of the opinion that victims of crime deserve compensation for their losses in a much greater sense than the State currently provides.  Monetary damages are typically laughed at in the context of our prison system, namely in the sense that "you can't get blood from a stone".

I agree with this.

I'm not opposed to humane work camps as being part of that rehabilitory aspect of the penal system.  Production facilities and other organized working environments that enable an inmate who owes reparations to work an honest and productive -- not just busy work to earn a dime from the State -- day's work on the inside, with the non-essential portion of the inmate's salary going toward paying off whatever debt they owe their victims or victims' families.  Programs of this sort do exist in spotty fashion around the US today, but most of them are eaten up by shoddy management, bureaucratic red-tape and administrative costs, so victims and their families see nothing for it.  This could easily be corrected, but consistency in philosophy and approach must be mandated from the top on down, and, like so many other government-run entities, the prison systems in the United States are often mired in idiocy that would take a bulldozer to clean up.

Gulags comrade Stalin? ;)

Nah, I'm just joking, I agree that they should be made to contribute like everyone else. I think that prison life should just be a harder day of work than that outside the system. This could help the inmates as well as society, because inmates could possibly learn trades, as well
simply getting used to normal work.

For those who are non-rehabilitative, repeat offenders who demonstrate no desire to rejoin society as a law-abiding member, prison should be simply that: a holding pattern for those who are a danger to others and need to be held safely apart from other individuals so as to not allow them to violoate the rights of others.  This should be done as humanely as possible, in my opinion, as there is no excuse for a civilized society to treat human beings like animals or worse, even if those human beings have demonstrated contempt for others and don't seem "deserving" of humane treatment.

My only answer to this is that, if you act like an animal, you get treated like one, for example, being put in a cage. If you have the mentality of a rabid animal, you should be put down like one.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 02:43:01 PM »

So, if you act and argue like you have 3 live brain cells...
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 03:53:32 PM »

This part I don't agree with, and it's simply because it just seems pointless to me to provide for people that can't ever amount to anything or contribute anything. I think that since they are basically the waste products of society that they should be disposed of, as efficiently as possible. They aren't worth anything because they can not operate with other people. It's not worth it to hurt other people emotionally, physical, or monetarily for these people, because they are worthless.
Here's the thing.  These people are worthless in your opinion.  It is also your opinion that those you deem worthless should die.  Based on you own words (in the past), you have a much broader definition of 'worthless' than many, if not most, other people.  I would like you to define worthless.  In your eyes, at what point is someone nothing but a drain on society, and therefore worthy of termination?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Paladin

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »

I was beeing sarcastic, thank you Ivan. But i am into voluntary eugenics, we all are even if we don't realize it. As in: i want to have children with THAT woman, so my progeny will (maybe) have those genes from her... And we could do better than that i think, but not with compulsory sterilisation of family members.

Offtopic and all that.
"...And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Eric Idle

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 04:12:27 PM »

Here's the thing.  These people are worthless in your opinion.  It is also your opinion that those you deem worthless should die.

This thread has been largely opinion based so far, so I figured I'd provide mine.

Based on you own words (in the past), you have a much broader definition of 'worthless' than many, if not most, other people.  I would like you to define worthless.  In your eyes, at what point is someone nothing but a drain on society, and therefore worthy of termination?

Okay, worthless as I see it is basically the point where no matter what effort, money, or time is put into someone that they can no longer ever function within the bounds of society or contribute to society.

Now I know that there is one group of people that falls into this category that I'm not for terminating, and that is the elderly, but I feel that since these individuals worked their entire lives and made the world what it is that they deserve rest. The main thing I'm against is people that society keeps alive that don't contribute, or can't contribute.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

The retarded?  The severely disabled?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 05:11:13 PM »

Now I know that there is one group of people that falls into this category that I'm not for terminating, and that is the elderly, but I feel that since these individuals worked their entire lives and made the world what it is that they deserve rest. The main thing I'm against is people that society keeps alive that don't contribute, or can't contribute.

Do the retarded fit this? If he has the body of an adult, but the mind of a three year old and can't be taken anywhere in public anymore because last time he was in KayBee Toys he got caught trying to fuck the stuffed Kermit the frog doll while his handler was in the bathroom, should he be killed?

Edit: DAMN YOU PB!
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 05:12:43 PM »

Quoting him defeats the nifty Ignore feature.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 05:19:35 PM »

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »

V to Evonus:... I would like you to define worthless.

Economy with words is sometimes a virtue, as in when your list would conceivably go on forever it is far more expedient to start at the top and name those not on your 'hit-list' ....

Evonus: there is one group of people that falls into this category that I'm not for terminating, and that is the elderly

... at least you draw the line somewhere:roll:

Evonus: The main thing I'm against is people that society keeps alive that don't contribute, or can't contribute.

Were you potty trained at gunpoint ?

... Oh. One more thing ...

Evonus:... If you're going to ridicule me, don't read my post. ...

Nonsense. It is only by the reading of your posts that the seeds of ridicule can be gathered without prejudice.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 05:22:51 PM »

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess.

I'm just saying.

If y'all want to continue exchanging virtual saliva with the unpleasant fellow, then by all means. But there is another, less stressful path.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 05:23:12 PM »

Now, I'm sure we'd disagree with which punishments would be assigned for the most part, but I think we can both agree jail time is a deterrent.

Tell that to people that are still dealing drugs now that in most states there are laws on the books offering life without parole for some drug trafficking offenses.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 05:24:50 PM »

Nonsense. It is only by the reading of your posts that the seeds of ridicule can be gathered without prejudice.

Yeah, I'm gathering them WITH prejudice.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 09:37:05 PM »

Good call, Demo.

It was a Jewish anarchist (I can't recall his name, the only reason that's noteworthy is because the whole video was about Jewish anarchism in particular) who said that good people don't need laws and bad people break them anyway. The fact that laws and prisons are around now yet crime still happens proves they are fatally flawed. So what's the answer? Arm the police with better weapons, disarm the public, set up security systems galore, and prisons so brutal you'd have to be insane to break the law and risk being sent there? That would result in a police state, and many would say that sucks even worse than having a bit of crime here and there.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2007, 09:54:01 PM »

Tell that to people that are still dealing drugs now that in most states there are laws on the books offering life without parole for some drug trafficking offenses.
Hell, forget dealing...look how many people are using drugs, and then tell me that laws against drugs are an effective deterrent.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

12AX7

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2007, 10:01:44 PM »

look how many people are using drugs, and then tell me that laws against drugs are an effective deterrent.
Crack hoes don't give damn about drug laws. Neither do I.
The drug laws are a scam to rip off the citizenry "legally".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:21:17 PM by 12AX7 »

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2007, 10:08:11 PM »

The retarded?  The severely disabled?

Well, I mean I'm not for pulling people out of their homes if they've done nothing wrong, and gunning them down. But if these people eventually end up hopeless lost and homeless I think it's probably the right thing to do. Some people that are retarded and severely disabled can work. You can still work as a Janitor even if you're retarded (we have a couple at college) and disabled people can still work a desk job.

Some people have the system figured out, or think they do anyway and find that the net gain will outweigh the potential risk. Not all people can be deterred, there will always be crime, but deterrents do work, they just don't work for everyone, at least to a certain point.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 10:09:05 PM »

Crack hoes don't give damn about drug laws. Neither do I.

Better be careful dude, there's a war on those things!

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2007, 10:16:49 PM »

Here's the thing.  These people are worthless in your opinion.  It is also your opinion that those you deem worthless should die.

This thread has been largely opinion based so far, so I figured I'd provide mine.

I didn't mean that you shouldn't offer your opinion.  I meant that you're not stating a fact.  Those beliefs are your opinions, and are, therefore, not necessarily reflective of any facts.

Okay, worthless as I see it is basically the point where no matter what effort, money, or time is put into someone that they can no longer ever function within the bounds of society or contribute to society.

So, if the severely retarded/disabled end up homeless "drains on society", you believe they should be terminated.

I have some questions about your point, "no matter what effort, money, or time is put into someone that they can no longer ever function within the bounds of society or contribute to society".

1. How do you determine the time/money/effort threshold?
2. How to you intend to make the law prescient enough to know what the future will hold for any given person?
2a. What about convicted killers/rapists who have gone to prison for life and/or death, who have then contributed to society from behind bars?

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »

Depending on what state you live in, I think a murderer or rapist may have drilled the holes for your license plates.

12AX7

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »

Better be careful dude, there's a war on those things!
There's a war on crack hoes?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »

I didn't mean that you shouldn't offer your opinion.  I meant that you're not stating a fact.  Those beliefs are your opinions, and are, therefore, not necessarily reflective of any facts.

I wasn't trying to make it sound like that, if it came off that way I apologize and will try to improve my phrasing for next time.

So, if the severely retarded/disabled end up homeless "drains on society", you believe they should be terminated.

Yes. I know the United States criminal justice system does not execute people who have mental problems, but I disagree with this. I just don't see any reason to keep them around.

I have some questions about your point, "no matter what effort, money, or time is put into someone that they can no longer ever function within the bounds of society or contribute to society".

1. How do you determine the time/money/effort threshold?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the "after how much is it suitable for them to retire?" or do you mean "how much time we should spend trying to get them capable of working?"

2. How to you intend to make the law prescient enough to know what the future will hold for any given person?

Well we know people sentenced to death or condemned to life in prison can't contribute, because they're probably in maximum security, and don't get to leave their room very much, so that's easy enough. Besides that I think we should put money towards reforming the homeless and unemployed, and those that don't succeed should be terminated.

2a. What about convicted killers/rapists who have gone to prison for life and/or death, who have then contributed to society from behind bars?

Stamping liscence plates doesn't mean much to me. Do you have any examples?
[/quote]

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2007, 10:44:08 PM »

I think that Ted Kaczynski wrote a book review, and Ted Bundy did an interview with Focus of the Family about the evils of pornography.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5