The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 01:56:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Movie Anticipation Thread  (Read 4299 times)

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Movie Anticipation Thread
« on: September 15, 2007, 03:54:16 PM »

So...this is a thread for predictions of movies yet to be released. Whereas reviews for movies that are already in theatres merit an entire thread per review, I don't think there's quite enough that can be discussed about a trailer to necessitate one thread per prediction. So here we can discuss our desire to see upcoming films or our conviction that they'll flop.  :-D

Here are a few predictions/rants to start us off:

Rails & Ties:

A suicidal mother parks her car on a train track. Her son, who narrowly    escapes the impact, blames the conductor of the train for his mother's death. Eventually he begins to develop a bond with the conductor and his wife...

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this movie. Personally, I think it would make for a good chapter in Creepshow III (which, sadly, I have NOT heard plans for), if it were tweaked a bit so that the kid never spoke and turned out to be a cannibal, which is why the mother killed herself. However, as such is not the case, I don't see this movie holding my interest for very long. If you're into dramatic films that start with a tragedy and embellish upon the healing process, you might like it.

My prediction: This movie would have worked in the fifties, but I doubt it will be overly successful here in the 'thousands.

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium: November 2007
   The owner of a magical toystore is planning on leaving and giving the store to his most trusted employee. The Emporium isn't happy.

I don't care if it's rated G. I can't wait to see this movie. Dustin Hoffman is a terrific actor, and this is one of the few children's films in a while that I feel actually has some value to it.

My prediction: A series of Happy Meals toys at McDonalds.

John Rambo
: 2008
   I...whut?

Let's face it. Sylvester Stallone is to movies as Stephen King is to books: he'll never stop making them, and we'll never stop eating them up, whether they suck or not.

My prediction: Another box office hit.

The Golden Compass: December 2007
   Way too complicated to summarize. Read the books. It's a fantasy.

I read the trilogy, and the first book was really the only one worth it. The second was ok, the third sucked. Hopefully the movies will stop at one.

My prediction: Once again, a line of toys at McDonalds.

Iron Man: May, 2008
   As far as I can tell, not really true to the comic book. For once, this doesn't bother me.

I'm pretty excited for this one. Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man? Originally it didn't sound like a good idea, but having seen the trailer I feel differently. It looks like it's going to kick ass; an appropriate mixture of humor and action.

My prediction: This movie won't have anywhere near the hype that other comic book movies had (such as Spiderman, Superman Returns, etc); however, it will exceed at least some of them as far as being awesome is concerned.

Atonement:
   Near as I can figure, this film is about a couple that aren't supposed to be together, and a betrayal tears them apart, and the guy goes to war.

I could go either way on this film. I really have to see it before I can pass judgment, but if I had to guess I'd say I will probably enjoy it. I prefer romantic comedies to love-dramas, and I don't really like love stories that much in the first place. But when you add in the proper amount of action and plot, and make it a story in which love just happens to occur rather than a love story, it can be enjoyable.

My prediction: It's got Keira Knightley, tragedy, love, overcoming hardships, yadda yadda...I'd say Oscar nominations at the very least.

Juno:
   A pregnant teenager wants to give her child to a couple that actually wants/is capable of supporting a baby.

I can't wait to see this one. I go to high school myself, and I'm tired of all the self-righteous teen mothers in my school who think they're all-that because they have rich parents who will support the baby. This is a movie about normal people and it's a comedy as well as a bit of a drama.

My prediction: This will be a movie of the cult variety.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: September 2007
   The title pretty much says it all.

The trailer for this movie gives away the plot and the ending. This either means that the movie is fan-fucking-tastic enough to still be exciting, or the movie is going to suck balls and probably win an Oscar. I want to see it, but I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

My prediction: It will be the best "Old West" film to come out in a long time (keep in mind what "a long time" means in the terms of an almost-eighteen year old).

Youth Without Youth: December 2007
   Since the teasers didn't give much info, I went to IMDB for the summary:
      "A love story wrapped in a mystery. Set in Europe before WWII,
      a timid professor is changed by a cataclysmic event and explores
      the mysteries of life."

I can the number of times Francis Ford Coppola has disappointed me on one hand. So even though I'm STILL not sure what the hell this movie is about, I'm psyched to see it.

My prediction: Maybe an Oscar nomination or two, but it will remain in the realm of obscure movies that were pretty good but for some reason just...disappear...

Resident Evil: Extinction: September 2007
   "First they survived the infection. Then they survived the Apocalypse. Now they face Exctinction."

My first thought when I heard there was another Resident Evil film coming out was, "Why?" But after seeing the trailer, I'll admit I want to see it. It's nothing groundbreaking; just another Resident Evil movie, only with more zombies.

My prediction: Box office smash.

The Comebacks: October 2007
   It's like Scary Movie, only it's actually funny and it spoofs sports films.

I want to see this. The cast includes David Koechner and Andy Dick, both of whom I love. Overall it looks hilarious...it even spoofs spoofs. I can't wait to see it.

My Prediction: It will be bigger than Dodgeball (which it also spoofs).

Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem
:
   :(

I totally called it: I KNEW there would be a sequel. It seems the worst movies always do. The first one sucked and so will this one.

My prediction: Who fucking cares?

Across the Universe: September 2007
   A movie....told with the songs of the Beatles...kind of? It's a love story, but it also kind of follows the trails of rock and roll through the sixties and seventies.

I cannot wait to see this movie. I love the Beatles, and this film looks like it can incorporate their songs and actually still make sense. It looks to be a very powerful piece of art.

My prediction: At LEAST one Oscar.

Saw IV: October 2007

I have no idea what this one's about, I'm not going to lie. I don't really care. Because how many people watch Saw movies for the plot? It's all about the gore. So I'll go see it, even if the big plot twist at the end reveals that it was Barney the whole time.

My prediction: This HAS to be the last one. Please.

When Did You Last See Your Father?
: February 2008
   Eww...the trailer gives me shivers. It's a film about a father and son who haven't the most functional of relationships...and then the father is dying, and...stuff happens.

I want to see it. It looks funny, it looks sad, it looks like one of those films that makes you think about your situation and look at things differently. Colin Firth and Jim Broadbent are both fantastic actors, and it looks like they've got amazing chemistry.

My prediction: Oscar Nomination

The Strangers: 2008
   A couple moves into a house and it tries to kill them. Cause THAT hasn't been done a thousand times already.

I'll see it, mostly because it's Liv Tyler and there will probably be some nice gore and I might not sleep that not. But it doesn't look particularly original or ground-breaking or inspiring. Just another horror movie.

My prediction: Liv Tyler is desperately trying to avoid type-casting. We'll probably see her in a sports comedy next.

Harold and Kumar 2: 2008
   :D

I am psyched for this one. For those of you wondering, Neil Patrick Harris IS back.

My prediction: It will own just as hard as the first one.

Be Kind Rewind: January 2008
   Two guys (Jack Black and Mos Def) remake a whole bunch of movies and they become very popular.

I think it looks hilarious. Both actors are extremely talented and I think combining them will WORK.

My prediction: Cult classic.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 02:26:24 AM by ihatecliches »

pickled kitten

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +108/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Anticipation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 08:29:55 PM »

1-18-08

/SARCASM <--- Fixed the problem ;)

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:18:52 AM »

I anticipate a day in which I have time to watch movies again.

Paladin

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:35:23 AM »

I can't wait to see Resident Evil 3. RE 2 sucked so hard i thought it was an Ed Wood remake.

I love zombie movies that suck but have a big budget.
"...And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Eric Idle

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »

I anticipate a day in which I have time to watch movies again.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:21:40 AM »

The only one I think I'd want to see would be Harold and Kumar 2 and that's only because John Cho is hot.  :lol: To give you an idea on how long it takes me to actually go see a movie, I just saw The Simposons yesterday.

I like to go when everybody has already seen it so I've got the theater to myself.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »

I might see 1 or 2 of those...besides the fact that the majority don't sound interesting to me, I also cannot afford to see so many just to see a bunch of movies.  I'm interested in how The Golden Compass will turn out.  I heard they are making all three...the second book lagged and the third felt rushed, as though Pullman tried to pack in as much as he could with as little depth as possible.  Character-wise anyway...kind of like X-3...Anyways, the Beatles movie thing looks like fun.

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 10:21:29 PM »

Harold and Kumar 2 is going to own hardcore (shouldn't that have been out years ago), but I'm extremely psyched about Iron Man. Iron Man kicks intense amounts of ass. In fact today a friend told me that the trailer was out and I watched it a few times and I wished I had a huge TV to watch it on. Robert Downey seemed like the perfect guy to play an alcoholic asshole war-profiteer (and from his two one liners in the trailer I was able to confirm my suspicions), and  it seemed pretty true to the origin story (though they again updated Vietnam to a contemporary war) from the few minutes of trailer. The use of the Sabbath song rules, even though it doesn't really have a lot to do with the comics (retcon aside). The next 8 months are going to kill me. This is probably the coolest trailer I've seen in a long time, aside from the V for Vendetta one (though the movie didn't come near to the book in the end).
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

abortretryfail

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 04:35:20 PM »

Oooh!  Harold and Kumar 2!  I am excited about that, they go to Amsterdam, don't they?

mr.mack300

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 07:12:28 PM »

I really want to see Juno. I think its going to be pretty good. I love the actress that plays Juno. Has it come out yet? I hope I haven't missed its debut.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 02:01:11 AM »

I'd normally smack you around for this, but the post was of some merit. But try not to raise threads from the dead, we don't appreciate that here. Thanks heaps.

To try and stay on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing the 'Iron Man' movie when it comes out. I've always been a big comic book fan.

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 07:43:10 PM »

I really want to see Juno. I think its going to be pretty good. I love the actress that plays Juno. Has it come out yet? I hope I haven't missed its debut.

You haven't, it comes out on the 14th according to IMDb.  I'm looking forward to it as well, from what I've seen from the trailers and commercials, the writing feels reminiscent of Joss Whedon( <3).

pssst, am I perpetuating the whole "raising the dead thread" dealy here?

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 11:04:13 AM »

pssst, am I perpetuating the whole "raising the dead thread" dealy here?

No, you're good. Don't worry m'dear.  :-)

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +22/-10
  • I'm not narcissistic, I'm just awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »

well, since we're posting in the zombie thread, I must say that "I Am Legend" looks like it could be pretty decent.

It looks like a zombie flick, but from what I saw in the trailer, it seems like it will have a lot more in the way of character development...  and a more interesting story line.
Wait, so the might-be-a-bot isn't dead?!

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 05:47:40 AM »

Aye, that it does. Have you ever read the book?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »

I'm really looking forward to Be Kind Please Rewind.  I saw the trailer yesterday and Gondry does fantastic films.