The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 05:39:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129630
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 188
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: PSU Recommendations  (Read 2498 times)

scribcake

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +42/-2
    • View Profile
PSU Recommendations
« on: December 14, 2007, 10:26:11 AM »

I purchased 2 XFX 8800 GT's last night. I read that it is required that you have at least a 400W PSU, however after talking to one of my friends he said that he personally wouldn't attempt to do SLI with under a 600W PSU, but he also said something to the effect of PSU's that are running closer to their full output run with greater efficiency as opposed to when they are not being used as much.

Do you guys think that my Kingwin 520W PSU will be able to take the load of those 2 cards running in SLI, as well as the 3 SATA drives I have? Or would I be better off making the additional investment in a more powerful PSU, such as an 800W Kingwin PSU?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:45:38 PM by Chris »

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: 520W PSU: Can it handle SLI and 3 HDD?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:47:52 AM »

I purchased 2 XFX 8800 GT's last night. I read that it is required that you have at least a 400W PSU, however after talking to one of my friends he said that he personally wouldn't attempt to do SLI with under a 600W PSU, but he also said something to the effect of PSU's that are running closer to their full output run with greater efficiency as opposed to when they are not being used as much.

Do you guys think that my Kingwin 520W PSU will be able to take the load of those 2 cards running in SLI, as well as the 3 SATA drives I have? Or would I be better off making the additional investment in a more powerful PSU, such as an 800W Kingwin PSU?
I think the answer is "3".  Or, maybe "3" is the age of the person who typed those hyperlinks.  Or, perhaps "3" is the number of minutes I won't get back after contemplating your question and deciding that I have no clue.

In any case, "3" fits in there somewhere.

I'm sure someone here will be able to answer this.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 12:29:57 PM »

I personally wouldn't run this on 400W PS. the PS is the component that is given less attention than it deserves. Cheap PS can actually damage components. I would go with somehting like this, or better: http://www.ncixus.com/products/18184/OCZ600GXSSLI/OCZ%20Technology/

scribcake

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:03:20 PM »

I tried Newegg's wattage calculator and with the specs for my system it said I'd need at least 750W. So it'd probably be good to go with an 800W PS if not something a little more powerful. I really like Kingwin PS's though, so I'd like to stay with them unless someone knows a brand that is significantly better. I was surprised though to see how much of a price difference there is between an 800W PS and a 900W PS, 100$ price difference, while there is only a 20$ price difference between a 900W PS and a 1000W PS.  :?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:16:55 PM »

I wouldn't try it with any less than an 800w supply. I recently rebuilt my computer at home and went SLI with two disk drives and two optical drives with an 800w supply. I just didn't want to take chances of overloading the PSU.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Re: PSU Recommendations
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 09:47:38 PM »

I didn't realize triple clicking a thread title would allow me to edit it...

scribcake

• Troll
    • View Profile
Re: PSU Recommendations
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »

I ended up going with a 620W Corsair PS. Read some great reviews about it, hopefully it will work as well as people say it does.