The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 05:14:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: It's A Psychobilly Freakout!  (Read 1509 times)

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
It's A Psychobilly Freakout!
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:12:50 AM »

I just checked out the album "Kiss Kiss Kill Kill" by the band Horrorpops on the recommendation of a coworker... and it's good!
They're not pure psycho, a la Reverend Horton Heat, and I wouldn't even say they have the technical musicianship of that group.  There is definitely more of a punk sound with rockabilly instrumentation.  One might even call it "Punkabilly".
The singer, who is female, is definitely the focus of the record, with the band being there for accompaniment to her voice.  If you're familiar with my tastes, you might find it odd that I'd like this group.  I usually prefer to listen to bands for their musicianship and get very annoyed when the singer is the star.  I feel this leads to the band becoming interchangeable with any other, which leads to the music business becoming producer-oriented instead of artist-oriented, and therefore to a buttload of overproduced records (see: my wife's shitty Maroon 5 CDs).  In this case, for whatever reason, it really works.  Her singing has a definite but subtle "F- You" vibe, which any punk frontman should have, but it also has quality, even approaching a Gwen Stefani sound at times.
I said the band was there as accompaniment for the singer and that they aren't as skilled as a band like the Rev Horton Heat, but I'm not sure that's a total negative.  They sound right for this record, and there is an instrumental track on the album that I'm guessing was put  there for this very reason.  It's  quite good with the surf guitar sounds you would expect from a band of this genre.
Overall I give it Four Thumbs Up, and you should definitely check it out, especially if you are a fan of the psycho/rocka/punka billy genre.
Stay thirsty, my friends.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Re: It's A Psychobilly Freakout!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

I love Horrorpops.  Great videos on youtube too.