The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 02:50:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 247
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Very broad question regarding computer-based careers.  (Read 7472 times)

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
Very broad question regarding computer-based careers.
« on: October 24, 2008, 05:52:58 AM »

I'm probably going to make myself look like a complete dumb ass here, but I'll deal with it.

My initial break from college, taken to "rediscover" myself and figure out what career path I wanted to pursue, is about to reach four years. And very little has stood out to me, as far as careers go. But I was thinking about it a few weeks ago, and trying to compose a mental list of things I enjoy as hobbies I could make a career out of. Computers was one of the top of my list.

However, I have very little even basic knowledge of computers. My knowledge is very sporadic; I learned a little here, a little there, but missed a little this, and a little that. For example, I know a good bit of html and css, and can easily code a pretty decent website. I've not too much experience in it, nor do I have any actual training in it besides trial and error, but it's something. And a few weeks ago, I wanted to use SMF and TinyPortal for my WoW guild forums, and didn't particularly know anything about how to go about it. And in the end, learned a bit about php and javascript (tinkering around with module/block scripts for fun little features!). And I'm pretty decent in Photoshop.

I can't even figure out how to add more memory in my computer, though, and I don't even know even more basic things about a computer, such as the need to defrag every so often (I found that out the hard way- my computer was exceptionally sluggish.. for half a year, oops). But I know I'm a pretty intelligent person, and I have the capability of learning more about computers considering the little I've learned from, well, trial and error. I'm pretty decent at graphics and art, I enjoy coding and designing things, and I learn quickly.

So here are the basic questions I have for you if you've gotten past my incessant ramblings at this point:
1) "Computers" is a very broad subject; are there any sort of, uh, sub-genres I could narrow it down to? An actual field or a job to aim for that you think would appeal to me based on what I posted above?
2) What sort of training would I need for it? And would the training start at the very, VERY basics of all computer-related things?
3) Where do I start? Are there any sites/books I can read? I went to Books-A-Million the other day and realized I had no idea what to start on. I was drawn towards more website-based books since that's the area I'm most familiar in, but obviously, I want to broaden my knowledge.
3) Or should I just go back to the kitchen and make a sandwich? :P
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:54:37 AM by canoftuna »
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Very broad question regarding computer-based careers.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 06:27:18 AM »

There's a lot there.  I'm going to think on the best way to reply before I blurt out a bunch of drivel.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:32:54 AM »

Thank you, much appreciated!
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:45:48 AM »

Sounds like you're more inclined to programming or coding than "computers"(ie., hardware). Though I imagine any knowledge of computers themselves would help; you wouldn't need to study the machines to do well coding or in something such as graphic arts. LadyGendom, a latent member here, is the best Photoshopper/web designer I know. She makes her living doing it; yet wouldn't know a memory stick if it stuck her in the eye.
 From what you've mentioned, it seems "computers" for you could be broken down into three fields:

Computers (hardware) - don't know much; would like to know more.

Coding/Programming - know enough to muck things up; not quite enough yet to fix them (or TROUBLESHOOT <-- big ++++ if you're good at that)
 Others here can detail you on how it is to code for a living, I can only put forth that once you are doing it for someone else's reason(s); it's not as fun as it was adding/creating those modules on your own. As a matter of fact; I imagine it can be extrememly tedious; especially with someone looking over your shoulder with ideas of their own.

Graphic Arts (Photoshop/web design) - Sounds like you've cut your teeth on that. Does it interest you enough to be critiqued and second-guessed constantly and still be happy? You'll be applying your skills to create someone else's idea. Not really an easy task; especially if your client is at all wishy-washy.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just shooting down all your ideas. I just know that things you really like to do change drastically once you're doing it "for a living" or for someone else for $$; and I think it's important to think about that before you embark on a "job" that might very well kill your favourite "hobby".
 Of course, on the other hand, you could land a job that you love; and doing what you love to do for a living would be Nirvana.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »

I've been in IT for six years now, which is a lot less than some people, but if I could travel back in time and give myself some advice, here it is:

RUN THE FUCK AWAY

Edit: But that's just me. I'm sure there will be much more reasonable advice offered in this thread, as there already has been. Just had to throw that out there.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:00:53 AM by Lacerda »

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:18:39 AM »

I think I'm coming down with something... I've been agreeing with 12AX7's posts lately.

I've been lucky to have put together a decent career in the industry (knock on crotch) with no specific ceiling in sight, without a formal education.  It's worked out so far, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else try to do it.
All I know about coding and the market for it is what I read on Slashdot, and that ain't good.
When you talk about a job market for computer skills, what you're mostly going to find is other fields, say, Marketing, and knowledge of certain apps or languages will help a lot in that field.
So I'd say keep building your websites that you like to build, as a hobby. 
Then a couple of things can happen-
1) Maybe one of them takes off, and you can make a little money from ads, t-shirts, or whatnot.  Doesn't seem likely, but it's a complete bonus if it happens
2) Whatever job or career you decide to pursue, see how you can apply your web skillz.  Maybe it makes you more valuable in the role you're in, or maybe someone notices your work and you get your foot in the door in another department, company, etc...
My two cents.

NOW you may go make me a sammich.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »

Get MS certified in something, two or three things if possible. Pay for it if you have to. MS ain't going anywhere. The field is so broad, specialization is a given. I've worked at companies chock-a-block full of l337 coders that would KILL for a capable certified systems manager. And the converse. Pick an aspect of IT that appeals to you, and get that sig line. Someone will be glad you did.

MS Certifications > IT College Degree.

It's a big, beautiful world. Maybe a little evil, but that makes it more fun.

On the other hand, if you want to be a generally well-rounded, happy, informed, fulfilled person, get an AA in Liberal Arts and marry into money.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »

You could take my path.  Start out as a Bio Sci major.  Change to Psych major.  Work food service.  Go into Air Traffic Control.  Go back into food service.  Get MBA.  Work at a corporate office for food service.  Get Biotech management certificate.  Finally escape food service  doing same thing with a much narrower scope for an EDA software company.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »

When I first started college I was going for a degree in computer science, but I have since changed to business administration because I figured computers should be a hobby of mine, rather than a career.

I started learning about and using computers at a somewhat early age - 13 years old if I recall correctly. I can't imagine myself going into work everyday and tinkering with code and hardware and then being able to come home and even look at or use a computer and enjoy it the way I do now.

It was one day I was working on a C++ script in the library at school when I realized I didn't want to major in computer science anymore. It was right then and there I got up, walked out of the library and dropped the class the next day and haven't looked back since.

The moral of this story is that I think some things remain a hobby better than being a career. Sit down and think if you'll be alright with not being able to use your computer the same way at home like you do now, If you're alright with that, then making it a career out of it maybe right for you; If not, then maybe you might want to go down another path.

Of course, this might not hold true to everyone. Maybe this only applies to me - who knows.

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 04:17:45 AM »

Well, here are my career options, thus far.

I could do teaching. But honestly, I'm a sarcastic cynical bitch, and I'd probably lose my job because I told too many kids they were "fucking morons." I have a very low tolerance for dumb teenagers. To be fair, I'm still pretty young. Give me a few years, and I'll hate everyone equally!

Music education. Which is teaching, sort of.. but not really. There are two reasons I'm turning more and more away from this profession. First of all, it's been years since I've really touched an instrument. I've forgotten all basic music theory, I've lost my musical ear, and... my desire. Part of me feels like I never really truly loved it, but I had been such a good musician, I got swept up in my obsession. Besides, it would take me years to be as good as I was before. The second reason is.. music has a way of consuming you completely. Especially me, as I have an exceptionally obsessive nature. Let's just put it this way: when I was into music before, that's ALL I was into. I didn't do anything else, I didn't have a life. My other studies were neglected because I was either practicing, writing music, studying music theory, or hanging out with fellow musicians. Not to mention, when someone in my life doesn't share my passion, it really hurts my relationship. And my wonderful fiance, who was a music major gone bad, has a strong aversion to music/band lifestyles. I couldn't do it without his support.

To be honest, my ideal job would be in the gaming field, but I think that's less to do with computers, and more to do with.. what, exactly?

On a completely different note, that doesn't change my interest in learning more. If any of you still have any recommendations in pursuing programming as a hobby, I'd love to hear them. You're all probably right, it wouldn't be that great of a career. But hell, I really need to add that to my compilation of nerdy interests to fully qualify as a nerd, right, right? :P

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »

here's a good (free) starter, the forward and preface gives a good feel for the mood of the project.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

You're all probably right, it wouldn't be that great of a career.

Well, not all of us are right. I think it's a fine carreer, if you like coding. I've supported a family for 25 years as a coder, and I'm still learning something new every single day.

Today, for instance -- Bashing my branes out trying to figure out how to reference a COM dll in an SSIS script task so that I can gain direct control of an Excel object in SQL 2005. Because they want embedded pretty pictures on their user-friendly Excel sheets. And bold face fonts on the title line.

FORTRAN 77 was easier.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 02:05:38 PM »

Ugh.  I don't miss programming one bit.   :-P

However, there are plenty of ways to make a great living with computer technology as your focus that don't necessarily involve heavy coding or direct technical support to morons.

One of the reasons I've stuck with my career in computers is the incredible flexibility and potential to carve one's own niche the field offers.  In every job I've had, I've cut my own path, and it's led me to places I didn't think I could go when I decided 12 years ago or so "well, I've always liked computers... maybe I could earn a few bucks that way?".

DISCLAIMER:  At the moment I'm unemployed.  But that was by choice.   :-D

I have another round already in the chamber, ready to fire.  I find out about it for sure this week.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

kanca mosan

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +33/-31
  • Yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »

I have another round already in the chamber, ready to fire.  I find out about it for sure this week.

Well, good luck to ya!

If only everything were as easy as it seems to be for you.
It appears I am a paradoxal paradox.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »

It's not.  I've had to bust my ass to get to where I am now in my career.  I don't recall saying anywhere that it's been "easy".

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 03:25:49 PM »

I got a job for ya.

Huh huh huh huh
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »

kanca mosan

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +33/-31
  • Yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »

Well, you have to admit you did not said it has been hard.  I just figured it was easy, because people normally say when things are difficult.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:44:21 PM by kanca mosan »
It appears I am a paradoxal paradox.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 08:08:13 PM »

I love my current job.  Feast or famine, though.  This week will probably be slow and uneventful and then next week blammo.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 08:37:25 PM »

I prefer blammo.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »

I do too, but the surfing time has it's benefits.