The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 07:57:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129552
  • Total Topics: 7149
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Purrfect candidate for capital punishment  (Read 10745 times)

12AX7

Purrfect candidate for capital punishment
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »

Kitten in a bong

What a sick, disgusting clump of human cells.
  The cat won't die, but this turd should get felony charges.

12AX7

Re: Purrfect candidate for capital punishment
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »

see if there's a reply button on this post

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »

Let he who has never smoked kitty cast the first stone.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »

Reply button is there.  So is the quote button.

I hope kitty is ok.  Cats don't have alot of brane cells to burn up.

...or do they??
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:44 PM »

Sorry.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »

Although I love kitties, I don't agree. Nobody deserves to die. NOBODY.

Yeah, right.  :roll:

That bird had it coming.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:17:13 PM by xolik »

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 04:16:11 PM »

Although I love kitties, I don't agree. Nobody deserves to die. NOBODY.

That is not true. Many people deserve to die: mainly people who bring death and suffering to others, but also including people who want to die -- why shouldn't they deserve what they want?

However, this is not the same as saying that the state, or a mob, or even an individual has a right to take anyone's life -- including, again, one's own.

Figuring out who gets to take who's life is a gnarly problem. If there is no such thing as a legal killing, then you not only eliminate the death penalty, but also the ability to legally defend yourself with lethal force, abort pregnancies, defend your nation against armed incursions, and help someone in agony to die.

But again, just because it's illegal for someone to kill the murderer of her child does not mean the murderer deserves to live.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »

But I still don't think the government should be able to decide who deserves to live and who doesn't.

That is an eminently sensible attitude.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »

Alright I take it back. But I still don't think the government should be able to decide who deserves to live and who doesn't.

So then....who does?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »

Only you should be able to decide that.

I dislike Capital Punishment because:
It is moar expensive than life in prison.
It is immoral (What is your justification for taking another human life? Why must we stop violence with moar violence?)
The American court systems are corrupt and many of the people sentenced to death row are innocent or they didn't deserve the punishment.
The list goes on...

1. How is the cost of one bullet the back of the skull more expensive than housing and feeding somebody until they die a peaceful death of natural causes in prison? See, the problem here is that if we're going to insist on using the death penalty, we should do it right, like that bastion of justice, China, does.

B. What makes you think it's immoral? To who? What if my morality dictates that it's perfectly acceptable to lie, cheat and murder your way to to the top?

C. Using 'moar' violence to stop violence has proven quite effective in past instances. Sometimes saying "Pretty please stop killing me" while you're being stabbed just won't cut it. <--BAD PUN AHOY!

D. It's a good thing only American courts are corrupt. I'd hate to think there's injustice in other parts of the world. Also, what makes you the deciding factor on if the person offending deserves the sentence or not?

Just having some fun here. :-D

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »

Lol okay. *Is bad at arguing*

1. Capital Punishment is MOAR expensive. I did a research paper on it. All the appeals and everything the criminals have to go through cost MOAR than keeping prisoners for life.

B. Guess you're right about this one. Fuck morality.

C. Actually statistics show that people become MOAR violent after watching a public execution and states that have eliminated the death penalty have started being less violent as opposed to those that haven't.

D. Shut up. :) Why don't we just kill everyone in the world. Whose to say that we don't all deserve it. Let's have a nuclear genocide. Kill the human race. Let the animals reclaim what is theirs.

I would like to see your research paper in which the cost of a single bullet is more expensive.  :-) It only costs so much because it's not being done correctly. And yes, I know full well that it does cost more. I've read studies, doubtless very similar to yours, that go over the costs in great detail.

I wasn't really talking about public executions, like sports arenas devoted to such things like the Taliban liked to employ, but more like as a means to halt a tyrannical maniac from taking over the world. Some German idiot tried to wipe out an entire race, but violence ultimately solved that pesky problem.

I'm by no means a debate SUPERSTAR nor do I always take positions that I necessarily hold in actuality, but I do enjoy trying to get people to explain themselves.

And yes, sometimes I did wish the world would just keel over and be done with it. I'm so goth, I shit bats.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:02:15 PM »

I'm all for killing some dumb fuckers. I don't care what your position is; at the core of your soul you know damn good and well there are WAAAAY many people who should be terminated immediately. Not even getting into the real scumbag criminals; there are people out and about whose blinding stupidity costs others infinitely more than incarceration or death. Slather all that stupidity onto a set of crossbred genes with a generous dose of narcissism and simmer for eighteen years under the misguidance and ignorant "county-view" (too small-minded to have a world-view) of most likely one; possibly two (but only one related) older retarded, meth-mouthed welfare recipients; and you have a prime candidate for "pre-emptive population maintenance".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:05:20 PM by 12AX7 »

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »

Well, I see I'm a little late. That's what I get for tending to work. But here it is anyway.

Only you should be able to decide that.

I dislike Capital Punishment because:
It is moar expensive than life in prison.
It is immoral (What is your justification for taking another human life? Why must we stop violence with moar violence?)
The American court systems are corrupt and many of the people sentenced to death row are innocent or they didn't deserve the punishment.
The list goes on...

Heh. You would sound more convincing if you didn't use LOLspeak in posts like that.

Execution more expensive than life in prison? Not by a long shot. What's expensive is the death penalty system, including years-long appeals and years-long incarceration on death row. The execution itself can be very inexpensive. How much does a rope cost? So if cost is your measure, that is solved by streamlining or eliminating the appeals process. Tim McVey's speedy execution did not cost as much as Manson's life is.

It is immoral? A majority of this country's church-going, God-fearing citizens think the opposite, that it is immoral to allow murderers to continue to live. So looks like it depends on who's writing the morality books.

The American court system is corrupt? No, it is not. Certainly, it is not perfect, and mistakes happen, but I would hold it up as a fine example, overall, of how it should be done. The fact that innocent people have been executed is not a result of corruption, but normal human limitations.

Innocent people executed? Again, this does not argue against the death penalty conclusively. What about cases where eggregious guilt -- as with Tim McVey -- is unquestionable? Should he be allowed to live in a cell after deliberately, callously, and beyond any doubt destroying dozens of humans just because there have been mistaken convictions in the past? No one will buy that.

The list goes on? Let's hear it, but I think you covered the distinct arguments.

Obviously, I've argued both sides of this issue. In the end, the only argument that holds water is this: The State shall not have the right to put its citizens to death. The reasoning behind this argument is not succinct, and not everyone will see it that way, and it depends on how you define the functions of The State, but it stands up better than the others.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »

No kidding.  Have you ever seen The State?  I wouldn't trust those dudes with my life.

12AX7

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »

Yes, they should be shut down. Before they cost everyone else much more than they are worth. Remember some of these people have cost others their lives and / or families; if you begin to include the criminals, too. Which I would.

And your cost analysis-thingy is waaaay wrong. If we are going to execute someone summarily; (which is what we're talking about) there is no ongoing appeal after appeal, etc. You just sentence them, take them out back, and shoot them. We're talking about killing them here; not housing them for life and then killing them as they get old.
 All-in-all, it should cost about $1.47 per. The bullet.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »

All-in-all, it should cost about $1.47 per. The bullet.

You're not taking into accout the cost of the gun. A rope is still cheaper.

12AX7

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 07:16:42 PM »

But nobody stays in prison that long; then, when they get out, what then? Expect them to get gainfully employed somewhere? You know what happens.

12AX7

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »

You're not taking into accout the cost of the gun. A rope is still cheaper.

Nope. Police departments already have guns. They'd have to buy a rope.

12AX7

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »

AH!!!! Ok. Well that pertty much solves it then. :-)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »

Let me just end with it's much more cruel to put a person in a cell for 25 years, have them lose their family, friends and their sanity than simply put a gun to their heads and kill them. Why let them off so easily? Yes, it may stop them from ever committing crimes again, but so will keeping them in prison.

This does not work, because you can't have it both ways. You can't argue against death penalty because it's inhumane, then turn around and say that actually it's humane, and the bastards don't deserve it LOLZ.

Here are the Three Laws of Government:

A government may not injure a citizen or, through inaction, allow a citizen to come to harm.
A government must obey orders given to it by citizens, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A government must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I think you all know where that came from.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 07:25:56 PM »

I've said it before, and probably more eloquently, but capital punishment is wrong because what the gov. does best is Fuck Things Up.  An organization with that special talent is not one that you want to have the power to kill you.
If someone has wronged you so badly that you feel they should die for it, you should man up, do the deed, and then take your medicine.  Quit pawning off your dirty work on Big Brother.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »

What about the dude who wronged you by killing you and your family?

12AX7

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »

I don't think the gubmint should either; Im just saying that's there PLENTY of people who should be removed; and the world would be a better place. I believe to claim no one deserves to die is an outright lie; because I believe you feel the same as I.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:31:21 PM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »

I think I have that T-shirt. Says "GITMO than U Bargained FO'!" on the back.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:59:17 AM by 12AX7 »

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

What about the dude who wronged you by killing you and your family?

What will I care at that point?

Pages: [1] 2