The Geek Forum

• May 18, 2024, 06:06:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129642
  • Total Topics: 7190
  • Online Today: 101
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Electric bill  (Read 5861 times)

Jon

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gotthegeek.com
Electric bill
« on: August 15, 2002, 10:43:26 AM »

My mom just got our electric bill today and it comes out to $200. She automatically blames it on the computers that are left running all night, and im curious as to roughly how many amps does a normal computer use per hour. Just so I can prove her wrong and so she can't blame everything on our computers.

Normal computer consisting of just the CPU and moniter. Nothing else attached that would be sapping electricity.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
Electric bill
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2002, 02:22:13 PM »

depends on how many devices you have hooked into it besides cards

cd rom drives, hard drives, floppies.... all take up power

Anonymous

Electric bill
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2002, 05:23:13 PM »

The power supply uses X amount of watts. Therefor you use that X amounnt of watts. Even if you're not using all the connecters within your case.

Normally with one computer running all the time it will cost anywhere between 5 to 10 dollars. I say this because I've tried running just one computer all month, and am not going to bother to start converting power terms. So, say 7.50 dollars a month to be on the safe side.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Electric bill
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2002, 05:28:48 PM »

Well, if you guys have any kind of air conditioning in your place of residence,  during warmer months that'll account for about 50% of your energy expenditure, easy.

Next on the list is your water heater (if it's electric; if it's gas, you may or may not pay for that on the same bill, depending on whether or not it's a separate utility company that provides gas to your area.... in our situation our electricity and gas come from the same company, so it all figures in).  

Washing machines and clothes dryers are next.  They consume quite a bit of juice, especially if in a family-type situation where at least three or four loads of laundry are washed per week.

Refrigerators are regular old electricity-hogs as well.

Computers figure into the equation right between television sets and electric stoves.  The average computer setup (including monitor, basic speakers, and tower) uses a bit more than a 36" TV does per unit of time... but considerably less than an electric stove uses.

Granted, I'm not getting any of this from any particular source, so I may be wrong, but I do know what in the house tends to have the highest amperage, because I live in a house with questionable electrical wiring, and I find all this shit out in order to determine what circuit can handle what appliances, because sometimes I have to do some juggling to keep from tripping a breaker.

You can tell your mom that if your electric bills are $200, and you guys use any or all of the things that I listed (air conditioning, washer/dryer, electric water heater, electric stove), that if you cut the computers out of the equation, that same bill will work out to about $190 or so.

In other words, it's not a very significant drain.

I mean, not unless you are running a couple of servers and a 20-seat LAN or something.  If that's the case, then she's probably right.  But if you're talking about 3 PC's being on all the time or less, it's not NEARLY as big a chunk of the average electric bill as those other things I listed are.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

Electric bill
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2002, 06:35:50 PM »

Maybe she's hinting on saying something like, "I want these computers out of my house! You're infront of them too much!" :roll:

Anyway, it's really not that much. Infact, if she's really that concerned about it, give her 5 dollars a month for your computer and it's over with.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Electric bill
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2002, 06:47:15 PM »

Quote from: Chris
Maybe she's hinting on saying something like, "I want these computers out of my house! You're infront of them too much!" :roll:

Anyway, it's really not that much. Infact, if she's really that concerned about it, give her 5 dollars a month for your computer and it's over with.
[/i]No doubt.... Chris is probably right.  It probably in actuality has little to do with the electric bill.

Mom's aren't very subtle about things like this; it sounds like a tactic I've seen before...

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Unleashed

• My Space Emo Attention Whore
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/piksandbdates/shoebox.msnw
Electric bill
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2002, 01:14:44 PM »

Aha ... I like this thread  *evil grin* Thanks  for the amo dudes ... my ol' man is gonna get creamed!!!!

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Jon

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
Electric bill
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2002, 08:06:10 PM »

That's exactly it. Everything that goes wrong in this house, she moves in to blame the computers the second it happens.

"Jonathan is wasting electricity with the computer!"
"Jonathan isn't getting out side enough because he's infront of that damn computer"
"Jonathan doesn't have a life because he's infront of that damn computer"
"Jonathan has turned his brother into a drone using that damn computer"
"What is Jonathan doing with that computer?!"
"Why can't I read Jonathan's email. Is it really that necessary to get all that using the computer?"
"Who is Jonathan talking to on that damn computer?"
"Jonathan is illiterate because of that damn computer"
"Jonathan is making faces at me because I told him to get his lazy ass off of that computer."

...The list goes on and on.  :roll:

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Electric bill
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2002, 11:47:01 PM »

Quote from: Jon

That's exactly it. Everything that goes wrong in this house, she moves in to blame the computers the second it happens.

"Jonathan is wasting electricity with the computer!"
"Jonathan isn't getting out side enough because he's infront of that damn computer"
"Jonathan doesn't have a life because he's infront of that damn computer"
"Jonathan has turned his brother into a drone using that damn computer"
"What is Jonathan doing with that computer?!"
"Why can't I read Jonathan's email. Is it really that necessary to get all that using the computer?"
"Jonathan is making faces at me because I told him to get his lazy ass off of that computer."

...The list goes on and on.  :roll:

Thatd be my mom. She doesn't call me Jonathan though, she calls me Anthony. It's weird.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Revka

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +28/-1
    • View Profile
Electric bill
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2002, 02:02:24 AM »

Quote from: Jon

Wow... does your mom contradict herself like that all the time?
"I think very few of us are not 'messed up' by the internet that are members here. Really, very few are actually "normal" humans." - Chris

mattshocker

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Electric bill
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2002, 12:22:22 PM »

i would say, computers made me even more literate than i already am...they teach me alot of stuff and i'm always on here  8)

x222943

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deafening-urge.net
Electric bill
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 02:28:20 PM »

im on a hell of alot more than you ;)

i get the same crap... except they call me brandon, not johnathan or anthony... even weirder.

Anonymous

Electric bill
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 02:37:58 PM »

Quote from: x222943
im on a hell of alot more than you ;)

i get the same crap... except they call me brandon, not johnathan or anthony... even weirder.

I think we're about tied. It would be hard to stay infront of the computer anymore given that it's pretty much the most allowed.

I've actually been looking for ways to get away from the computer lately, but haven't found any ways.

Jon

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
Electric bill
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2002, 02:45:13 PM »

Except Mickey D's.

mel

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Electric bill
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2002, 07:10:25 PM »

i'm on the computer all day, although if i left it on my parents would bitch. but my mom says the same stuff about me, yet calls me melanie (yeah, i'm not trying to be funny, it doesn't work much) i admit i have no life because of the computer. i have friends but i do absolutly nothing with them. & i can say the same as matt, the computer has made me smarter in some ways. i used to type "lyke this n thoght i wuz kewl" but ever since pit & b made fun of me for that i type normal. so it's actually helped me to type, & write normal. (although my keyboarding teacher still yells at me beacuse i don't use homerow keys...who needs them? as long as you can type right!)
mel, only a one/couple time poster

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dextroverse.org
re: df
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2002, 07:45:51 PM »

Luckily, my dad is a programmer for lucent, and he's just fine with me using the computer as much as I want over the internet, seeing that I do something productive at least once in a while. During the schoolyear, though, he bitches all the time about it. Maybe he should get a new job, he's on more than I am!! No that does not make a good argument.
Pink Floyd is Good, Opeth is good, Insane Rants are good. I am jusy trying to make myself happy, damnit.

-Keith

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Electric bill
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2002, 09:42:58 PM »

Mom tries to use the old "Talking with people over IM isn't real communication" excuse; you know, the one that shows nothing but ignorance on the part of the person who says it? I swear, it's like livin with Grampa Simpson sometimes. "I'm afraaaaiiiiiiid of the future!"

And of course I can't convince her to change her mind cuz well... she's never on. To her, a computer is a typewriter with pictures where she can make projects for her pre-school students who probably all know much more about computers than she does. Heh
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
Electric bill
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2002, 08:07:03 AM »

All I have to say:

U 14M3rZ U SuXX0r U 4r3 N07 1337 1iK3 M3!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I pWnZ j00!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!~~~~~~~~

Go outside, kiddies. :P
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert