The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 03:32:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IE virus???  (Read 8609 times)

Lurch

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.foxxtek.com
IE virus???
« on: September 20, 2004, 06:21:15 PM »

IE has something attached to it and I can't seem to get rid of it. When I open IE something else starts too and tons of windows pop up, downloaders start(some are sucessful), and if I don't act fast and shut down the IE process as well as the downloaders in about a minute I run out of ram and my junk crashes. Not good, eh?

So far I have cleared the cache, temp folders, done 3 scans with E-trust, Ad-Aware, and a remote scan with Norton. I also monitor the registry run folders, and try to research any malignant programs running and manually un-install them. Nada. I really don't use IE, but would like the infection gone nonetheless. Any suggestions? (besides the painful obvious)
+-Lurch-+

Nate

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 06:23:46 PM »

Try Spybot Search and Destroy

It is way more in depth than ad-aware.

Lurch

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 09:24:57 PM »

Quote from: Nate
Try Spybot Search and Destroy

It is way more in depth than ad-aware.

Uhhh, you're kidding right? Thanks but no thanks. It is crapware like that that is loaded with unchecked spyware and adware. That is exactly what I am trying to get off my system. The site that has this prog says nothing about built  in adware untill you are done installing it. I had to remove three malignant wares after the install, not trying to sound a-holeish, but no-thankee.
+-Lurch-+

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 09:34:46 PM »

I had this problem on my old HD, I rebooted in safemode and  ran a full Norton scan. It got rid of whatever it was that was causing these popups.

Personally, I think IE is a virus. I'm not sure about other people here, but I perfer using FireFox.  Great browser, imo.
"Ohhh! That is almost sig quote material.... almost!" - The Judge

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
IE virus???
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 09:38:47 PM »

Quote from: Lurch
Uhhh, you're kidding right? Thanks but no thanks. It is crapware like that that is loaded with unchecked spyware and adware. That is exactly what I am trying to get off my system. The site that has this prog says nothing about built  in adware untill you are done installing it. I had to remove three malignant wares after the install, not trying to sound a-holeish, but no-thankee.

I think you've been misinformed about Spybot.

Your best solution is to stop using crap programs like IE.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Lurch

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 09:47:43 PM »

Misinformed? I tried it today. Gaurenteed it has adware, it even prompts saying that deleting the ad software will cause the program to stop workng. Also I use Firefox, and frikkin love it. About the only use I have for IE is updates I guess. Well, no I get update CD's from a  Micro$oft buddy. Screw it, I wish I could just uninstall IE,  heh.
+-Lurch-+

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 09:48:13 PM »

You're kidding, right? Spybot S&D is a highly popular program that actually works.

Lurch

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 09:52:03 PM »

Quote from: catwritr

You're kidding, right? Spybot S&D is a highly popular program that actually works.

Again, sorry. I don't want want to seem against something that works, you all seem to like it. Mabye, well i dunno. I'm just damn skeptical I guess.
+-Lurch-+

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 09:54:49 PM »

Misinformed? I tried it today. Gaurenteed it has adware, it even prompts saying that deleting the ad software will cause the program to stop workng.

You twit, that message is for stuff like Kazaa: If you delete the ad programs associated with Kazaa, your download program may no longer work. It has NOTHING to do with Spybot itself.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 09:59:31 PM »

Quote from: snyperx
Personally, I think IE is a virus. I'm not sure about other people here, but I perfer using FireFox.  Great browser, imo.

I use FireFox almost exclusively. The only time I load IE (*shudder*) is when I have to check pages in my web development.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 10:19:06 PM »

Only time I use IE is for windows update. That is all. Hate IE. Damned IE.

Oh, and Spybot does NOT have adware, it must be something else you have. I would think that a safemode boot and then norton scan would do wonders, as well as a Spybot and Adaware scan.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Lurch

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 10:26:11 PM »

Misinformed? I tried it today. Gaurenteed it has adware, it even prompts saying that deleting the ad software will cause the program to stop workng.

You twit, that message is for stuff like Kazaa: If you delete the ad programs associated with Kazaa, your download program may no longer work. It has NOTHING to do with Spybot itself.

Goddammit, now I feel like an ass. You're of course right. Ughhhh. Bad day I guess. I looked up install log and the 3 wares that loaded were coincidence i suppose. Sh!t.
+-Lurch-+

Anonymous

IE virus???
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 10:27:19 PM »

I think every regular here use spy bot on a regular basis. Everyone is very happy with it as far as I know. Be sure to download the latest version (1.3) and run an update first. This is the right tool for the job.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
IE virus???
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 10:30:53 PM »

The only problem I'm having with FireFox is it's reluctancy to load most images. It loads them slowly, and cannot handle many at once. I'm wondering how I could remedy this issue?

Lurch

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 10:35:32 PM »

I have noticed a difference in the way Firefox loads images, however I'm not sure why and it also does not seen any slower.
+-Lurch-+

ho0ber

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +29/-1
    • View Profile
    • SDC-Music.com
IE virus???
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 11:58:17 PM »

Quote from: Crystalmonkey
Only time I use IE is for windows update. That is all. Hate IE. Damned IE.

Oh, and Spybot does NOT have adware, it must be something else you have. I would think that a safemode boot and then norton scan would do wonders, as well as a Spybot and Adaware scan.

Same for me^^

and yes, Spybot is trustworthy.  Our technology testing lab has done month long tests because of similar claims.  So far, Spybot has helped clean up way more than anything.
-ho0ber

ivan

IE virus???
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 11:59:35 PM »

I discussed the use of Spy Bot, among other apps, in A Geek's Guide to Pets, which is linked on the front page of these hallowed forums. If people aren't going to be bothered to read my copious emissions, why should I keep up this grueling schedule of an article every year and a half?

Pshish.

Lurch

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 12:06:14 AM »

Mkay, I installed it and fingers crossed. I'll start the scan, go to bed and find out what it found at the morrow.
+-Lurch-+

Nate

• Troll
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 07:03:40 AM »

I use FireFox almost exclusively. The only time I load IE (*shudder*) is when I have to check pages in my web development.

Ditto. Be sure to get Firefox 1.0... its new and improved :)

Also, I got my friend to get ad-aware and spybot, he wondered why his comp was running slow (he used IE also.) He finished spybot and then ran ad-aware. He had 10,000 problems on his computer before the scan was even done, then the scan froze. Every time he gets through scanning 60,000 files on his comp it freezes now. Anyways, I got him to use Firefox and he said...

**OMG! MY computer is so fast now! Why doesn't everyone use Firefox!?**

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
IE virus???
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2004, 08:41:22 AM »

Mkay, I installed it and fingers crossed. I'll start the scan, go to bed and find out what it found at the morrow.

You should install and run AdAware also (it too does not have adware loaded into it, but will prevent you from killing programs like Kazaa and WMP).

As for the image thing in Firefox, I've never noticed a problem.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Nate

• Troll
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »

Yeah, I run AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D 1.3 My computer has no problems :)

Lurch

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 06:44:36 PM »

Ran Spybot S&D found a few things. Ran local virus scan again, nothing. Ran Pest Patrol, found some cookies. Meh. Thanks for the suggestions all, time will test. well not really, my comp is about as secure as a safe sans the door.

EDIT: Dammit, didn't find it.
+-Lurch-+

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2004, 06:50:39 PM »

This may be a silly question, but do you have a firewall?

Lurch

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 09:04:30 PM »

This may be a silly question, but do you have a firewall?

E-Trust is all I run continously. It has some firewall features to it but I do not run a dedicated firewall, hardware or otherwise. I was actually thinking about investing in a Linux based headware firewall. I have heard good things about these.
+-Lurch-+

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
IE virus???
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2004, 09:16:41 PM »

I cannot stress enough how much you need a firewall. If nothing else, enable the ICF in Windows.
Pages: [1] 2