The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 07:24:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: paper tigers  (Read 1513 times)

aoowt

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
paper tigers
« on: November 12, 2004, 04:44:26 PM »

Are certs even valued in the industry anymore?
I know that when I was in school years ago a lot of folks laughed at certifications because it was so easy to hack the system to get them. They used to be called "paper MCSE" -or whatever the cert owner had- because as soon as these people were asked to do the job it became clear that they knew jack. Now I hear they are called paper tigers, but I'm wondering if something has changed to make companies give them consideration?
~aoowt

"They say, best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most, become much more the better for being a little bad."

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: paper tigers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 04:49:30 PM »

Quote from: aoowt
Are certs even valued in the industry anymore?
Only the ones with retsin.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
paper tigers
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 04:54:55 PM »

My MCSE was the deciding factor my boss used to hire me over the other two applicants. The problem, as I see it, with certifications is two fold. First, there are the folks who obtain them from less than honest methods, thus putting all holders of said cert under suspicion. Certs don't really have any way to ensure competancy. Just that you know how to fix things 'in theory.' The second problem would be people who see, for example, MCSE and assume that means you're a Microsfot God and know everything. If you don't, well then you must be a 'paper cert' guy.

I've got certs up the wazoo. No college degree though. (Yet. I'm working on it, dammit!) To me, the college degree is more important than any certificaiton. Even above a degree, is actual know-how.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

aoowt

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
know-how.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 02:09:26 AM »

xolik said:
is actual know-how.

And truer words were never spoken.
I've got two degrees and have met folks without out any letters that could crush most hardcore 'paper guys'. If you ask me both the degrees and certs seem to be a money grab. Seriously I think it breaks down to knowin' your S@#$, surfin' the waves at work, and prayin' for another tech boom. I doubt if it will ever get as crazy as it was in the late 90's but you never know. All the big boys are set with FATTY bank roles just waiting for the next market to jump into.  God I love tech!

~ aoowt
~aoowt

"They say, best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most, become much more the better for being a little bad."