The Geek Forum

• May 13, 2024, 08:29:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
  • Total Members: 4953
  • Latest: Leonriv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 145
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: The Society  (Read 2693 times)

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
The Society
« on: January 20, 2006, 01:36:25 PM »

I'm writing something in my free time (I have a lot of it, it seems) called "The Society." Basically, I want to explore the different parts of society in order to find the "ideal" one. It's always confused me when people say "our society is great because of X..." because it seems like they are missing the point of discussion/debate, so I want to look at all of the parts, good and bad, and come to a conclusion.

I think that makes sense, so here is what I want to do (and would like your help on).

I'm breaking up society/culture into different parts, and exploring each one. I've seen the quality of work you guys debate with (much better than my own) and I'd like to get your opinions on each section. I'll have questions I'm looking answers to, but given that we're all adults here (some younger than others) I think it's not necessary to stick strictly to them.

This is not homework, this is not for school, this is not required, but I really would like to see what would come from it. (And see where it goes from there.)

I promise that I'm not making any money off of it, and that if I somehow do I'll consult all those who bring meaningful contributions to it and distribute anything I get. (Saying "that's stupid, n00b" is not meaninful.)

Would you guys be willing?
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
The Society
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 02:18:38 PM »

All societies are imperfect because of one basic element.

Stupidity.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
The Society
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:19:53 PM »

Of course, but I still think it's important to at least have an idea in mind when trying to fix something. Look at the founding of the nation, look at what we are now, and tell me there hasn't been at least SOME improvement, and that was without direction.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
The Society
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 03:27:36 PM »

I think you're gonna end up with a 1500 page book and no real conclusions, but go for it!   :D
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
The Society
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 03:39:28 PM »

Idiot-proofing society would also be a section I suppose =)

Alright, should I use this for the different sections, or make a seperate post ("The Society: On Religion"....etc)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
The Society
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 03:44:04 PM »

Quote from: Crystalmonkey
Idiot-proofing society would also be a section I suppose =)

Alright, should I use this for the different sections, or make a seperate post ("The Society: On Religion"....etc)

I'd definitely recommend different threads.  Otherwise it's gonna get messy real quick.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
The Society
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 04:21:41 PM »

The problem with representative democracy is that even the stupid are allowed a voice.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
The Society
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 05:49:49 PM »

Quote from: Vespertine
I think you're gonna end up with a 1500 page book and no real conclusions, but go for it!   :D

Exactly.  The utopian movement was big in the 60s.  Read Huxley, etc.  Basically after all the thoughts and discussions most concluded that it was highly implausible and that utopian ideas ultimately brought about problems negating said utopia.

Without bad there can be no good, because without contrast you have nothing but pure vanilla.  In other words without the likes of Br0k3n_R4v3N in whatever incarnation, we wouldn't be able to appreciate the erudite.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
The Society
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 12:28:02 PM »

Drums fingers.....
Well, we're waiting for the first thread....
 :)