The Geek Forum

• May 21, 2024, 06:45:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129650
  • Total Topics: 7197
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Stem Cell Funding  (Read 2953 times)

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
Re: Stem Cell Funding
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 01:22:31 PM »

XD, wow that is gold. I got a good laugh out of that one.

Although that simultaneously pisses me off because that asshole vetoed research that is crucial to helping the sick.

John Kerry 2004!
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 02:06:31 PM »

that asshole vetoed research that is crucial to helping the sick.

Not really. Research is going on. Federal funding is still available for researching certain lines of stem cells. And non-federal funds can be used on any stem-cell lines. Today Arnold ordered a $150 million loan for our California stem-cell research institute. He didn't veto research, he vetoed a bill that would've allowed federal funds to be used for researching additional stem-cell lines.

Bush clearly believes that life begins at conception, and he also clearly believes that life is sacred. His veto was consistent with his beliefs regarding the unborn. However, he can't stem the tide.

Now, if only his beliefs about the sanctity of the unborn would influence his thoughts on the sanctity of life in general...
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 02:14:13 PM »

Not really. Research is going on. Federal funding is still available for researching certain lines of stem cells. And non-federal funds can be used on any stem-cell lines. Today Arnold ordered a $150 million loan for our California stem-cell research institute. He didn't veto research, he vetoed a bill that would've allowed federal funds to be used for researching additional stem-cell lines.

Ah, that's better than I thought. But anyway, he's still hampering something very important to those who are ill, which is why I'd still say he's a bastard. I hope they pass it over his veto.

Bush clearly believes that life begins at conception, and he also clearly believes that life is sacred. His veto was consistent with his beliefs regarding the unborn. However, he can't stem the tide.

Most of the stem cells that are used are grown in petry dishes, not taken from wombs. Which is why over 50% of abortion protestors are not opposed to stem cell research(Didn't make that up, read it in time maganize 3 years ago).

Now, if only his beliefs about the sanctity of the unborn would influence his thoughts on the sanctity of life in general...

Yeah really, he favors the death penalty, and wars. So forget about the young men and women in the world, but zygotes, those are what we need to save. h00ya!
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:47:03 AM »

Hear hear!  Sometimes I feel as if he holds unborn life in higher regard than those of us who have actually been born.  His policies certainly seem to indicate thus...
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:23:43 AM »

Hear hear!  Sometimes I feel as if he holds unborn life in higher regard than those of us who have actually been born.  His policies certainly seem to indicate thus...
reimero, I'm curious about something.  If I remember correctly (maybe I'm confusing you with someone else), you're one of the more conservative people on this board.  Do you classify yourself as a republican?  If so, is something like this an important enough issue to vote non-republican?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 12:50:50 PM »

reimero, I'm curious about something.  If I remember correctly (maybe I'm confusing you with someone else), you're one of the more conservative people on this board.  Do you classify yourself as a republican?  If so, is something like this an important enough issue to vote non-republican?

I used to classify myself as a Republican.  Any more, I'm a conservative-leaning Libertarian.  That in and of itself should answer your question.  :wink:

In all seriousness, I've never been a straight-ticket voter.  And in the last, say, 8 years or so especially, it seems the Republicans have been bending over backwards to lose my vote.  For the record, I didn't vote for Dubya in 2000 or 2004.  I abstained and voted Libertarian, respectively.  And I will be voting for the Democrat for Congress this November.

This doesn't mean I'm less conservative, mind you.  What it does mean is I don't approve of the way the Republicans are going about imposing their beliefs on people in a manner that is borderline (speak: blatantly) Unconstitutional.

I do have issues with research on embryonic stem cell lines (and I realize that we will never agree on that subject), so my comments about the Shrub are actually not an attack on the veto.  It's more an attack on his utterly cavalier attitude toward torture, the rights of accused criminals, the rights of non-citizens, etc.  For someone who claims to defend the sanctity of life, he's very quick to write exceptions.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert