The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 12:17:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Unsecured wireless in the area...  (Read 4224 times)

12AX7

Unsecured wireless in the area...
« on: September 04, 2006, 06:20:55 PM »

One of my neighbors has apparently set up a wireless network, and it's totally wide open. I recently purchased a laptop with built - in wireless, and soon as I booted up here in my living room, I was online.
 Now, many of you may be thinking "Wow! What luck!" but I'm not. Well... I sorta am, but I'd really rather find out who it is and let them know. They are my neighbors, after all, and I'd rather them know me as looking out for them than mooching their bandwidth. So, my question is; is there any way for me to find out who; or better yet is there any way to send them some kind of message? I'm not gonna go door-to-door; Im not going to put THAT much effort into it, but I would like to let them know if I could.
Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. If it can't be done (I kinda think it can) then I guess I'll relax and enjoy my free bandwidth; I can't cover for everybody's ignorance, but I wanna try to help em out first...

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Re: Unsecured wireless in the area...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:51:09 PM »

If they have a networked printer, you can print them out a friendly message and hopefully they'll see it. Also, when connected to their network, I believe you can send a net send * message via the command prompt, and it will go to all computers within the work group or the domain.

A bunch of my neighbors have unsecured wireless networks. They're all assholes anyway, so I don't care enough to let any of them know.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:38:40 PM »

Thanks, Chris. I'll try the printer if there is one; if not then the net send...   after that; I dont care, lol.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »

If they have a networked printer, then you simply MUST print out a full color goatse.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 06:48:56 PM »

+1  AHAHAH!!! :lol:  If I could only capture their reactions....

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 06:30:14 AM »

You could also stick a sign on your front lawn that reads

"Free intraweb access!

A nearby idiot is running an unsecured wireless network"

12AX7

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 07:05:20 AM »

I'm afraid they'd all park in my drive, though!  :-o

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 11:12:25 AM »

Speaking of wirless networks, the college that I attend offerers wireless access on the entire campus. I figured, "Great, I can get a lot of stuff done - Homework, get email, respond to IMs all while using my own laptop away from the rest of the morons." Well, I thought wrong. Apparently they limit access to port 80, and only port 80. There goes remote desktop access, access to AIM, and access to my own web-based email, which runs off of port 2088.

There goes doing anything that I wanted to get done.

End rant.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 10:52:18 AM »

One of my neighbors has apparently set up a wireless network, and it's totally wide open. I recently purchased a laptop with built - in wireless, and soon as I booted up here in my living room, I was online.
 Now, many of you may be thinking "Wow! What luck!" but I'm not. Well... I sorta am, but I'd really rather find out who it is and let them know. They are my neighbors, after all, and I'd rather them know me as looking out for them than mooching their bandwidth. So, my question is; is there any way for me to find out who; or better yet is there any way to send them some kind of message? I'm not gonna go door-to-door; Im not going to put THAT much effort into it, but I would like to let them know if I could.
Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. If it can't be done (I kinda think it can) then I guess I'll relax and enjoy my free bandwidth; I can't cover for everybody's ignorance, but I wanna try to help em out first...

Put 192.168.1.1 into a browser and see if you can connect to the router's admin page (if it's a Linksys... if it's a D-Link router I believe the default is 192.168.0.1).  Chances are they never changed the default admin password (which would be blank if it's a Linksys, and I think it's "admin" for both the username and password if it's a D-Link).

Then change the admin pasword, lock the router down by MAC address and kick them off their own router.

That will let them know that their router is unsecured.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 12:54:49 PM »

I think by default linksys blocks wireless from accessing the admin page. (I believe mine did for me, at any rate...)
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 01:27:48 PM »

I think that's only if you secured it.  You should be able to configure your wireless device before securing it to a hard wired box.  If they left it wide open then you can still get there.

Then again that may be just D-link.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 04:05:52 PM »

No, I was able to get to my Linksys router's admin page wirelessly when I first got it.

Those things are 100% unsecure out of the box.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 04:36:04 PM »

They may not be using the wireless for their computer.  My son got wireless for his Play station, X box, or whatever the hell he plays these days.

I'd be willing to bet he never secured it.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Cyber_Sniper

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +21/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://msdn.microsoft.com
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 11:02:25 AM »

One of my neighbours has a unsecured network.  Although I haven't figured out which one it is.  I'll tell them one day, once I have downloaded the entire James Bond collection onto my server.
I'm guessing that their pc isn't secured either oh the fun that could be had but I'm just not like that...

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 11:30:05 AM »

Speaking of wirless networks, the college that I attend offerers wireless access on the entire campus. I figured, "Great, I can get a lot of stuff done - Homework, get email, respond to IMs all while using my own laptop away from the rest of the morons." Well, I thought wrong. Apparently they limit access to port 80, and only port 80. There goes remote desktop access, access to AIM, and access to my own web-based email, which runs off of port 2088.

There goes doing anything that I wanted to get done.

End rant.

Forgot to mention this, but google HTTP Tunnel for how to get around that.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275