The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 09:49:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Ft Hood Soldier found dead  (Read 2568 times)

12AX7

Ft Hood Soldier found dead
« on: June 13, 2007, 07:22:31 AM »

http://www.ktvu.com/news/13493030/detail.html

FORT HOOD, Texas -- Searchers found the body late Tuesday of a sergeant who was missing for four days after he disappeared during a training exercise, bringing to a close an intense ground and aerial search, an Army spokeswoman said.
Sgt. Lawrence G. Sprader, 25, went missing Friday during a solo exercise testing basic map-reading and navigation skills.
Col. Diane Battaglia, III Corps spokeswoman at Fort Hood, said the body was found on the rugged Central Texas Army post. The body had been sent for an autopsy and the cause of death had not been determined, she said.

<snip>
Sprader wasn't the only soldier who got lost during Friday's three-hour exercise, but nine others who were disoriented safely got back to the rally point by following the sound of a siren that blasts when time is up, Battaglia said. Reached on his cell phone two hours after the exercise was over, Sprader told commanders he wanted to finish the drill.
No one had seen or heard from him since. Post officials said no other soldier has ever been lost on the heavily-used range long enough to prompt such a massive search.
Battaglia said it had not been determined when Sprader died. She said she did not have information on whether his body was found within the boundaries of the land-navigation course.

This is so odd. I could understand a new recruit, or someone injured behaving irrationally; but this was an NCO - (definately NOT a n00b for all you non-military types here. NCO = Non Commissioned Officer).
 PLUS he had his cell phone with him. Even if that battery was dead, and he was actually totally lost; at the minimum all he had to do was sit down and wait. Possibly build a rescue fire. 

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
Re: Ft Hood Soldier found dead
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:07:59 AM »

It's a bit weird to me that he had a cell phone at all, during a training drill and all.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:23:03 AM »

Nah. After basic training, it's not like you're in pre-school. You can have whatever the hell you want with you. I used to bring a TV and an air conditioner with me on some training exercises. We even ordered pizza on most of them. If I had been on this particular one, I'd have brought my GPS unit.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:27:08 AM by 12AX7 »

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:27:37 AM »

If he died of exposure... ugh.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »

Nah. After basic training, it's not like you're in pre-school. You can have whatever the hell you want with you. I used to bring a TV and an air conditioner with me on some training exercises. We even ordered pizza on most of them. If I had been on this particular one, I'd have brought my GPS unit.

*nods*

I was an NCO in the Navy.  When I wasn't out to sea, I lived in an apartment, and wore civilian clothes, and drank beer.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

LuciferSam

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 01:35:17 AM »

I guess he needed to work on those basic map reading and navigation skills - very sad, though.  :oops:

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 08:35:17 AM »

Dehydration and hyperthermia.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.