The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 09:16:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129552
  • Total Topics: 7149
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: New Site  (Read 3815 times)

12AX7

New Site
« on: December 29, 2002, 11:29:27 PM »

Well, I have 'builded' my own site. (finally). I dunno a whole lot about what I've done (I used SiteDesigner, and just a little bit of tweaking in notepad)
...what I mean is, I've never had any webspace before, this is my first attempt. I already posted the link at HN, thanking people there for "inspiring" me and all; I wanna say the same for everyone (well, ...almost) everyone here. Thanks, people.
Take a peek at it; lemme know what ya think. All criticism taken positively, so be honest. The Console

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
New Site
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 12:02:04 AM »

Looks pretty good.  I noticed one thing, not sure if it's a typo or not.  

Email: The Console feedback@theconsole.biz

Check out the email addy that the link is... feeback@theconsole.biz

Other then that, it's got a nice look to it, informitive, and you didn't use that forsaken comic font, good job.

I've never used SiteDesigner, so I'm not sure how it compares to DreamWeaver, but I've always liked DW with notepad.  this is all dreamweaver.
"Ohhh! That is almost sig quote material.... almost!" - The Judge

12AX7

New Site
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 12:47:37 AM »

AAEEIII!!!! Dude (I guessyou're a "dude"...) thanks a million for pointing that out!  :shock:  Good eye. I went right when I read your post and fixed it. I'm so stupid..."feeback"...  jeez... :roll:

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
New Site
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 12:54:53 AM »

Typo's happen, trust me, i make them all the time.  i've found it best to have a few people check out pages for typos and verifying links, seems to workfor me

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
New Site
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 01:11:33 AM »

Erm, it's really well layed out.  The html is kind of lacking, but it works.

But, you might want to look into a little better design.  The images jump out at me and say "im out of date."

I could go into a LOT more detail, cause thats what I do all day, photoshop, and make web sites.

12AX7

New Site
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 01:26:07 AM »

Quote from: hob goblin

I could go into a LOT more detail

If you don't mind, hell yeah! You ain't gonna hurt my feelings, so shoot. I need to hear what needs to be ironed out...
 Like, what do you mean exactly "i'm out of date"? The site? Or the studio? I'm all ears! (er, uh...eyes.)

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
New Site
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 03:48:11 AM »

Out of date as in the site, i don't know much about studios.

Now, the title image and border and background look a little old fashion.

You might try a simple table with good matching colors.  Also try a different font, like Verdana.

I whipped this up in like a minute, it's not anything special, but it is an idea that could be elaborated on:

http://vexdev.com/temp/layout.html

Maybe some of the pictures can be taken out? there are tons of pictures of mics and controls, i get the point, maybe one or two per page would be cool, but sometimes you overdo it.

Also if they were aligned better, it woulld look cooler.  Them all being centered kinda looks goofy.

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
New Site
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 05:42:15 AM »

Its 5:39 in the AM, and I've been up for 13 hours and a bit high, but something soft on the eyes for the background (#CCCCCC is my favourite), as it can be a very big part of the site.

12AX7

New Site
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 09:11:12 AM »

Very cool! Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice.
I can see where the title/border stuff may very well be out of date. I didn't actually write it (don't know very much coding) it's a sample template from SiteDesigner that I sorta tweaked a little. Hell, it may have been around for years now! :)
I'm glad you pointed out "too many pics". I was kinda thinking the same thing... even to a newb like me it seems crowded. Guess I shoulda followed my first hunch...I just couldn't seem to help it!  
"Put another here..."
"Now this space seems empty..."
"So put this small one here..."
"And this one is a cool pic... put it in.."  :roll:
You get the idea.  
So do you guys have any recommended color schemes? Er, rather, maybe sites that have a killer scheme? When I first built this one, the background was   :shock: WHITE  :shock:  -and you can't change it in the trial version.
I tried to soften it up with the grey marble stuff after the fact. I'm not sure what colors I wanna use. Still looking around.