The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 03:25:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 143
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "cold" steam?  (Read 15344 times)

12AX7

"cold" steam?
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »

When water is sprayed, it cools. The reason behind this is the water is broken into many smaller droplets; resulting in much greater total surface area with which to dissipate the heat.
   When water is heated; it expands. The reason behind this is the molecules are farther apart. Steam, for example, has to cool before it can condense back into liquid water.

Suppose one could fashion a nozzle which 'sprayed' water with 'drops' exactly one molecule in size. The nature, composition, environment, etc would all be the same except the water molecules would be much farther apart; as they are in steam.

Wouldn't this 'spray', in fact be heated? Would actually be steam? The mechanism generating the heat energy is the energy it takes to move the molecules farther apart; the same as in steam production. This instead uses a different mechanism to spread the molecules; rather than application of heat energy initially, as in steam production.
   Is there a known way to mechanically spread molecules in this fashion (devoid of initial heat source)? If so, could this be used to generate relatively cheap(er) energy? ("cold" steam >>> turbines, etc)

12AX7

Re: "cold" steam?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »

Also, I wonder why coal-fired power plants remain "coal-fired" after they are up and running and producing electricity. It seems to me that once it is producing electricity, it could use that to heat the water for steam; rather than continue to burn coal. Of course, it would need the coal facility to get up and running, but once that is accomplished, and the electric heaters are online; shut it down. Seems that would be a lot "greener", less wasteful, and just as profitable - perhaps more so eventually.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »

Like a cold mist humidifier?
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »

Also, I wonder why coal-fired power plants remain "coal-fired" after they are up and running and producing electricity. It seems to me that once it is producing electricity, it could use that to heat the water for steam; rather than continue to burn coal. Of course, it would need the coal facility to get up and running, but once that is accomplished, and the electric heaters are online; shut it down. Seems that would be a lot "greener", less wasteful, and just as profitable - perhaps more so eventually.

What you have described there is a variation of a perpetual motion machine. The problem is, if you get it to work, you will violate the laws of thermodynamics, which no law-abiding being has been able to accomplish.

In a thermoelectric plant, electricity is produced by converting mechanical motion into electricity. The mechanical motion is produced by expanding steam. Steam is produced by heating water. Heat is produced by burning fuel. You are converting the potential energy contained in the fuel into electric energy through those steps. Along the way, you also waste a lot of energy -- mostly because of escaping heat -- so you really end up with less energy than you started out with, but in a more useful form. Now, if you take the resulting energy and try to use it instead of the fuel at the beginning of the chain, you would need more energy than you actually have. You wouldn't be able to heat enough water and make enough steam to keep the system going.

Theoretically, if you create a perfectly closed system with absolutely zero energy waste, you will have a perpetual motion machine of sorts, in which mechanical energy is converted to electricity which is then converted back to mechanical energy and so on and so on. However, all this self-contained machine could do is run itself. If you try to use some of the produced energy in any form -- even light -- you will introduce waste into the system and it will shut down.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »

What you have described there is a variation of a perpetual motion machine. The problem is, if you get it to work, you will violate the laws of thermodynamics, which no law-abiding being has been able to accomplish.
In a thermoelectric plant, electricity is produced by converting mechanical motion into electricity. The mechanical motion is produced by expanding steam. Steam is produced by heating water. Heat is produced by burning fuel. You are converting the potential energy contained in the fuel into electric energy through those steps. Along the way, you also waste a lot of energy -- mostly because of escaping heat -- so you really end up with less energy than you started out with, but in a more useful form. Now, if you take the resulting energy and try to use it instead of the fuel at the beginning of the chain, you would need more energy than you actually have. You wouldn't be able to heat enough water and make enough steam to keep the system going.
Theoretically, if you create a perfectly closed system with absolutely zero energy waste, you will have a perpetual motion machine of sorts, in which mechanical energy is converted to electricity which is then converted back to mechanical energy and so on and so on. However, all this self-contained machine could do is run itself. If you try to use some of the produced energy in any form -- even light -- you will introduce waste into the system and it will shut down.

This is assuming a ‘flat’, unmodified system. 1 gallon of steam expands to X volume; and will ; in current plants, turn X turbines at X revolutions and create X power.  Alterations anywhere along the way would change the outcome; some significantly.

Steam can be nozzled differently; producing more force per square inch. Turbines can be geared differently; allowing a smaller input to produce a larger output. The electricity itself can (IS)- after it is generated, be boosted via transformers to a higher voltage (or amperage, depending on the tansformer and use). A coal-fired power plant does not require the same (or more, as you’ve suggested in your theoretical model) energy to operate as it produces; or it would never be able to service homes and industries outside the plant. The power is stepped up greatly before being sent over the transmission lines to distribution stations.
   Water can be heated (converted to steam) with electricity, on the same scale as the current coal-fired boilers, and a power plant can certainly produce more than enough electricity to accomplish this. It certainly doesn’t take MORE energy to heat water for steam than it does to supply an entire region with dependable electricity.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »

Well, first I have to remark that if it were possible to self-power a thermoelectric plant, we'd be doing it. Totally. The reason they are not is because it cannot be done.

The reason it cannot be done is because a self-powered plant would be producing "free" energy, and there is no "free" energy. Energy has to come from somewhere.

This is assuming a ‘flat’, unmodified system. 1 gallon of steam expands to X volume; and will ; in current plants, turn X turbines at X revolutions and create X power.  Alterations anywhere along the way would change the outcome; some significantly.

Steam can be nozzled differently; producing more force per square inch. Turbines can be geared differently; allowing a smaller input to produce a larger output. The electricity itself can (IS)- after it is generated, be boosted via transformers to a higher voltage (or amperage, depending on the tansformer and use).

You can certainly make a more efficient power plant. But you cannot make a power plant that produces more energy than it consumes.

A coal-fired power plant does not require the same (or more, as you’ve suggested in your theoretical model) energy to operate as it produces; or it would never be able to service homes and industries outside the plant.

Yes, it does. The amount of energy expended is always greater than the amount of energy gleaned. Always. In the case of coal-powered plants, the output is only about 40% of the input. Let's say it takes 1 unit of coal to produce 1 unit of electricity. That 1 unit of electricity has 60% less potential thermal energy that the 1 unit of coal.

What a coal-burning plant does is transform the chemical energy locked up inside coal. You have one type of energy going in, and a much more useful type going out. But there is a net loss in the transaction. A power plant uses more energy than it produces. That is true of every power plant, no matter what kind of energy it consumes in order to produce electricity.

This doesn't really matter to us, because what we're after is the electricity. But it does matter if you want to use electricity to produce more electricity. It can't be done. Or, believe me, we'd do it.

The power is stepped up greatly before being sent over the transmission lines to distribution stations.

You're not gaining any electricity by stepping up the voltage -- you're just pumping more of it into the grid. Like opening a valve in a water main -- you're not creating new water, just putting more into the pipe. The transformer does not create new electricity. In fact, you lose a little energy through heat and vibration.

Water can be heated (converted to steam) with electricity, on the same scale as the current coal-fired boilers, and a power plant can certainly produce more than enough electricity to accomplish this. It certainly doesn’t take MORE energy to heat water for steam than it does to supply an entire region with dependable electricity.

Well, yes it does take more energy to make all that steam. The amount of heat consumed by thermal plants is staggering.

If your idea could work, why not do this: Use one power plant to power another. We could have, say, 1 coal burning plant somewhere, and use part of that plant's energy to run a second power plant, and then part of the second power plant's energy to power a third, and so on. We could power the entire world with one coal-burning plant.

That would be sweet!

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »

Well, first I have to remark that if it were possible to self-power a thermoelectric plant, we'd be doing it. Totally. The reason they are not is because it cannot be done.

The reason it cannot be done is because a self-powered plant would be producing "free" energy, and there is no "free" energy. Energy has to come from somewhere.

You can certainly make a more efficient power plant. But you cannot make a power plant that produces more energy than it consumes.

Yes, it does. The amount of energy expended is always greater than the amount of energy gleaned. Always. In the case of coal-powered plants, the output is only about 40% of the input. Let's say it takes 1 unit of coal to produce 1 unit of electricity. That 1 unit of electricity has 60% less potential thermal energy that the 1 unit of coal.

What a coal-burning plant does is transform the chemical energy locked up inside coal. You have one type of energy going in, and a much more useful type going out. But there is a net loss in the transaction. A power plant uses more energy than it produces. That is true of every power plant, no matter what kind of energy it consumes in order to produce electricity.

This doesn't really matter to us, because what we're after is the electricity. But it does matter if you want to use electricity to produce more electricity. It can't be done. Or, believe me, we'd do it.

You're not gaining any electricity by stepping up the voltage -- you're just pumping more of it into the grid. Like opening a valve in a water main -- you're not creating new water, just putting more into the pipe. The transformer does not create new electricity. In fact, you lose a little energy through heat and vibration.

Well, yes it does take more energy to make all that steam. The amount of heat consumed by thermal plants is staggering.

If your idea could work, why not do this: Use one power plant to power another. We could have, say, 1 coal burning plant somewhere, and use part of that plant's energy to run a second power plant, and then part of the second power plant's energy to power a third, and so on. We could power the entire world with one coal-burning plant.

That would be sweet!

Ok.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 01:31:27 AM »

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »

Well, we do have power plants that produce more energy than they consume, if you want to get technical. They just produce it by burning coal, not by using electricity to heat the steam to turn a turbine to make electricity to heat the steam...
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 11:51:28 AM »

The idea that a power plant could not produce enough energy to run itself disregards several important points.
  To start with, using coal to heat water for steam is apporoximately 30% efficient; with 70% being lost. An electric water heating system can reach efficiencies in the upper 90's.
  Also overlooked is improvements in efficiency of steam usage (nozzling). Maybe not a large gain there; but a gain nonetheless.
  In addition, there is a transmission between the turbine and the generator. This is a place where significant gains could be made; using higher gear ratios.
  Also, ivan's idea of the transformer is not exactly correct. Yes, you DO create "new" electricity. It isnt the same current leaving the secondary as was introduced into the primary. That current passes through the primary winding to ground (eventually). Transformers work by inducing a current in the secondary winding by passing a current through the primary. In a "buck and boost" transformer; the turns ratio between the windings determines that it will be a higher voltage leaving than was introduced. Power stations step up the kVa to "push" the power out across the grid. That is why step down stations and site transformers are used. I find it hard to summarily discount the idea that a plant could tap from this and heat (enough) water to keep running.

I also don't think that "if it could be done; we'd be doing it already". There are plenty of outstanding ideas out there on how to do things / make things / use things / create things; yet it seems we nearly always settle on using the most inefficient, the most convoluted, and/or the most difficult thing/way/procedure. Not to mention the majority of these operational plants were built circa 1960's / 1970's; surely they have had "upgrades"; but they operate basically the same way they did back then. I would like to believe we are overall more efficient today than in 1970; with more efficient devices, materials, and methods.   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:53:04 AM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »

Like a cold mist humidifier?

Im not sure, Biz.  My original thought was spreading the water at a molecular level by some other physical method (not heating). After thinking a while; I dont think it could be done without requiring enormous energy to force the water through the "separation device". Just misting it wouldnt create the same expansion as heating; which is what I was looking for.

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »

(I havent read the whole thread forgive me if someone has already said this)

Merely seperating the molecules wouldnt give them the kinetic engry that makes steam 'work'. The heat makes the molecules vibrate and be volitile. Also all the entropy stuff ivan was talking about.
// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:39:45 PM »

I would say the problem lies with the fact that the molecules cannot be separated to the point of steam without heating. However, I'm sure you could get close. If we consider steam to be 100% gaseous water, then you might have a close air / gaseous water ratio but not 100% gaseous water.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »

Well, we do have power plants that produce more energy than they consume,

No, we do not.

Dude: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

And: The second law of thermodynamics states that any closed-loop cycle can only convert a fraction of the heat produced during combustion into mechanical work. The rest of the heat, called waste heat, must be released into a cooler environment during the return portion of the cycle.

This is true of any power-generating plant, even non-thermal plants, although non-thermal plants (wind, hydropower) are FAR more efficient.

You cannot go against the laws of physics.

Yet, at least.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 01:08:07 PM »

Hot, heat sink ACTION!

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

12AX7

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »

No, we do not.

Dude: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

And: The second law of thermodynamics states that any closed-loop cycle can only convert a fraction of the heat produced during combustion into mechanical work. The rest of the heat, called waste heat, must be released into a cooler environment during the return portion of the cycle.

This is true of any power-generating plant, even non-thermal plants, although non-thermal plants (wind, hydropower) are FAR more efficient.

This fraction of heat converted - by that law- in an electric system; as I stated earlier, reach efficiencies in the 90's.
 A coal plant is around 30%. You're right; in the current setup; there's no way to get that 100+% back to the beginning.
 70% is hard to make back up; even with massive high-efficiency transformers. But the heating system Im talking about isn't 30% efficient; its near/around 95%. Starting there; it's not hard to imagine gains made in the turbine/generator transmission gear ratio; and high efficiency transformers.  

You cannot go against the laws of physics.

Don't tell the bumblebee that.

Yet, at least.

Which is in the spirit of this thread. :-)

When MY plant comes online and I'm a wealthy Energy Baron; I hope these pages are cached somewhere.  8-)  :lol:

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 01:49:12 PM »

there's no way to get that 100+% back to the beginning.

In a 100% efficient system, you would get 100% energy conversion.

A 100% efficient power generator is still to be built, although wind and hydropower generators are practically there.

Now, please tell me (and you too, Joesixpack):

If you create a 100%+ efficient power generator, that produces more energy than what you put in -- where does that extra energy come from?

God?

12AX7

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »

Are you now only talking about the generator? Or are you talking about the entire system? "Gains" made in the gear ratio, transformers, etc that I mentioned "equate" in the total system as energy.

If you are now talking just about the generator; then I have nothing to say. Thats not my argument idea. I havent said, and wouldnt say that there is a such thing as a 100% efficient generator.

12AX7

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 02:10:50 PM »

Also, I think Joe was referring to electrical power with his statement; and he's right. They consume more energy [as per our discussion]; yes, but they DO produce more electrical power than they use.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 02:33:47 PM »

Are you now only talking about the generator? Or are you talking about the entire system? "Gains" made in the gear ratio, transformers, etc that I mentioned "equate" in the total system as energy.

If you are now talking just about the generator; then I have nothing to say. Thats not my argument idea. I havent said, and wouldnt say that there is a such thing as a 100% efficient generator.

The entire system.

The goal is to produce electricity by the most inexpensive means.

The cheapest way we have right now is to spin a turbine using steam, which is produced by burning fuel.

So, fuel goes in one end, and electricity comes out the other. In the middle, you lose some energy. There is a net loss of useable energy, but it is worth it because we end up with a bunch of electricity, which is the goal here.

If you use electricity as the fuel to heat the water to spin the turbine to make electricity, the BEST you can POSSIBLY hope is to produce as much electricity as you used. You cannot produce more than you use, because that would require the intervention of supernatural forces. Actually, you will produce less than you use, because of waste. That's why there are no electric-powered electric generators.

You can't make an electric-powered power plant that produces more electricity than is used to make it. You can't even make an electric-powered power plant that produces AS MUCH electricity as is used to make it.

Look at it this way: in the entire process, the most efficient step is the last one: converting kinetic energy to electricity. That's the turbine. The energy you spend spinning the turbine is converted to electricity with nearly 100% efficiency. So why not take some of the electricity that the turbine produces, and use it to power a motor that... spins the turbine? That is a more efficient version of what you are proposing (to use some of the electricity produced to heat water). And even though it is more efficient, it still will not work. A turbine cannot produce enough electricity to spin itself and have power left over.

12AX7

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »

12v motor > turns shaft > spins generator producing 12v > 12v motor

That's your "100%" electric system. (Although in reality even this would not be completely 100%)

Now introduce a transmission between 12v motor and shaft with a 3:1 gear ratio.

Gain

Introduce another transmission (again, 3:1) between the shaft and generator   <---**edit

Gain

Now introduce a buck and boost tranformer after the generator; before the 12v motor

Gain

Where am I wrong?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:51:56 PM by 12AX7 »

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »

12v motor > turns shaft > spins generator producing 12v > 12v motor

That's your "100%" electric system. (Although in reality even this would not be completely 100%) Now introduce a transmission between 12v motor and shaft with a 3:1 gear ratio.

Gain

You now need more power to turn the shaft. The motor now consumes more electricity.

Introduce another transmission (again, 3:1) between the shaft and generator   <---**edit

Gain

Same again. Your power requirement has increased. That is not a gain.

Now introduce a buck and boost tranformer after the generator; before the 12v motor

Gain

We already covered this. Transformers do not make more electricity -- they transform voltage. In fact, they use up a little bit of electricity in the process. There is no gain here.

You can build this device at home. Try it out.

Or, browse some of the devices here: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm

Your idea of powering a power-plant with electricity is called an "over-unity" device, and inventors have been after one for centuries:

Throughout the history of technology, people have been fascinated with the possibility of a machine that would do useful work while requiring no energy input, or at least much less energy than conventional machines that burn fossil fuels, or use "natural" sources such as wind and water. Their goal is a machine that puts out more energy in the form of useful work than it takes in, a hypothetical device that they call an "over-unity" machine, because its energy efficiency would be greater than one. Sometimes this is loosely called a "perpetual motion machine" because if some of its output energy were used to provide the input energy, it could run forever and still put out some useful work. Needless to say, no one has achieved this goal.

One might have thought people would give up this effort once scientists formulated and then understood the laws of thermodynamics, which tell us that energy is strictly conserved in any mechanical device, whatever its detailed construction, whether it be strictly mechanical, or electrical or magnetic, or whatever else you might conceive.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:23:24 PM by ivan »

12AX7

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »

The whole idea of the transmission is to use less power to turn the shaft. Or, use the same power and the shaft turns faster. The whole point of a transmission is a gain in work produced per input. Or to step an "energy" level down. Maybe you have your transmission on backwards?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »

Here is a very detailed (and over-my-head) description of an over-unity device. These guys say they actually built this motor, which is self-powering, and runs at like 300% efficiency, meaning it produces far more electricity than it uses to produce it.

The device: http://www.explorepub.com/articles/beardon/overunity.html

Unfortunately, this device never made it into production. Apparently, the Yakuza are now enforsing the laws of thermodynamics: http://www.cheniere.org/misc/kawai.htm

Pages: [1] 2 3