The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 09:05:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NASA's job to befriend Muslims?  (Read 5564 times)

12AX7

NASA's job to befriend Muslims?
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:18:18 AM »

Just what th fuck?

NASA Chief: Next Frontier Better Relations With Muslim World

"...NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world."

:?  Could someone enlighten me as to how it is AT ALL the job of NASA to improve relations with Muslims? And why it would be "the foremost mission" of the space agency?

If you can explain that; then please clue me in on how one would accomplish this without it being diplomacy at all?

"...However, Bolden denied the suggestion that he was on a diplomatic mission -- in a distinctly non-diplomatic role. "Not at all. It's not a diplomatic anything," he said."

One more thing. If any of you can find this on another site besides FoxNews; let me know. I looked all over for it; and found nothing.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:28:10 AM by 12AX7 »

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: NASA's job to befriend Muslims?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »

If This:
if any of you can find this on another site besides FoxNews; let me know.

Then:
what the fuck?
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:22:45 AM »

Cuz we like hearing what we want to hear and nothing else.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »

I think it's hilarious. I don't watch I just like to check out all the headlines of the day, read some stories and then go to FoxNews.com and laugh at "GIANT SNAKES EATING PETS" or something.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »

In all seriousness, I have stopped reading Fox News because it seems like they are trying to entertain rather than inform in most cases, especially on their cable news network. Either they have gotten worse with it over the years, or I have just become more aware of what they're doing, but either way there are better news outlets out there to pick from.

BTW, there's this from the New York Post:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/muslim_star_project_dAthuXBO3itv1PHotcY1PJ
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:49:51 AM by Chris »

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »

I guess it's too much to ask to post something substantial about the actual topic.
 You guys are as bad as the people who post ON Fox. Can't seem to focus on the topic without all this peripheral bs.

Nobody wonders why NASA can't fund any space missions; but has the "foremost mission" of foreign policy?
  You believe it's a fake story?

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:51:58 AM »

Oh... Alright.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:59:14 AM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:53:49 AM »

ETA-  You got that posted just before I posted, Chris. It wasn't ignoring or responding to your post. Thanks for the linkage.

there are better news outlets out there to pick from.
True, and I visit and read as many as I can. But when I find a story such as this, and can't find it anywhere else for corroboration, I'm stuck with the Fox article. They do seem to cater to entertainment; but that doesn't mean the articles (like this one) are fakes.

BTW, there's http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/muslim_star_project_dAthuXBO3itv1PHotcY1PJ]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/muslim_star_project_dAthuXBO3itv1PHotcY1PJ]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/muslim_star_project_dAthuXBO3itv1PHotcY1PJthis[/url] from the New York Post.

Excellent. Thanks for the link.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:10:14 AM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »

dammit

12AX7

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »

I hit Modify on your post; meant to hit Quote...sorry Chris

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »

Oh... Alright.

You posted same time I did.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 10:08:50 AM »

I believe he said that on Al Jazeera and the story is real. I also believe that through collaboration with other countries NASA can "expand (their) international relationships". And sure, some of those countries we collaborate with can be dominantly Muslim with certain caveats that would, of course, apply to most foreign countries.

Where Bolden loses me is where we need to make them (Muslim countries) "feel good" about their contributions. Moreover that it would be the "foremost" mission of NASA. Why would they being singled out like this?

12AX7

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:18:09 AM »

Although I'm all for "expanding international relationships"; I don't think our Aeronautics and Space Agency are the ones to do it. We already HAVE diplomats and people whose sole job is improving relationships with foreign nations. NASA should be more focused on improving relationships with their funding and supporters; and get back to the business of Space Exploration. We have an ISS without it being NASA's "foremost mission" to improve foreign relations.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »

I agree, I think NASA has bigger and better things to worry about and focus on. I'd certainly like to see a human land on Mars and return home safely in my life time. Whether or not that's even close to happening with our currently technology, I don't know, but I'd like to see them try and get us to that point.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »

We're spying on them using NASA funds. NASA feels guilty about it and issues an unsolicited statement.

/conspiracy theory mode
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »

NASA has no place in the Muslim world, then again at least they're helping the Muslims and not going to war with them. And they're not just going to educate them about space, but other things like global climate change so maybe it won't be a terrible idea.

It might be; if they (we) had the money for it. We don't. So they (NASA) don't. We already pay for people and organizations to do those very things; for far more than just Muslims. We pay NASA to explore space; and their funding has been cut to the point that we now have no launch vehicles (once the shuttles' missions are complete); and no prospects for one in the foreseeable future. Let alone four like we've had.

12AX7

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »

Also; what are the Muslim nations bringing to the table? Or is it (again) just doling out from the US; to be later condemned for by THAT Muslim nation's neighbor when they start to fight?

12AX7

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »

I know it's a waste of money, didn't say it wasn't but I mean I'm used to seeing the American government waste money.

Gotta  agree on that one.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »

"The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the
products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the
stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to
make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. Even when
weapons of war are not actually destroyed, their manufacture is still a convenient way of
expending labour power without producing anything that can be consumed. A Floating
Fortress, for example, has locked up in it the labour that would build several hundred cargoships.
Ultimately it is scrapped as obsolete, never having brought any material benefit to
anybody, and with further enormous labours another Floating Fortress is built. In principle
the war effort is always so planned as to eat up any surplus that might exist after meeting the
bare needs of the population. In practice the needs of the population are always
underestimated, with the result that there is a chronic shortage of half the necessities of life;
but this is looked on as an advantage. It is deliberate policy to keep even the favoured
groups somewhere near the brink of hardship, because a general state of scarcity increases
the importance of small privileges and thus magnifies the distinction between one group and
another."
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 11:23:49 AM »

... well... I agree on the US Government wasting money part. I just went to read the actual article, and yes; that money probably could be spent on other things. The point to remember is the war wasn't started there. It was started here. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather fighting a war be done on my opponent's homes and cities rather than my own.
 In other words; I'd rather have this war and have it over there, than have it over here.

And they already have come over here; so it's naive to say they won't/couldn't.

Also, it's not "the Muslims" we are at war with. Its a cult, basically, that calls itself Islamic. That is the target of the war; Al Queda and their hosts, the Taliban. The irony is that we are there to help "the Muslims" - especially in Afghanistan; but no one seems to be willing to acknowledge that. We're still there because they can't do it yet; govern their own country. The biggest part of those dollars cited in that article are going to train and equip the Afghan Army; and a lot more of it goes to help them set up their government.

12AX7

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »

I would love to get bombed with ya.

12AX7

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »

Interesting fact:

We (the US) aren't giving the Afghans our old, used, already-paid-for helicopters. Nope. We are buying Russian helicopters from Russia to give to the Afghans; because that's what their pilots are already familiar with. That's nice of us, isn't it?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:44:21 AM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »

I'd certainly like to see a human land on Mars and return home safely in my life time. Whether or not that's even close to happening with our currently technology, I don't know, but I'd like to see them try and get us to that point.

I was hoping; with the find of water on the moon, that that trip to Mars would be a HUGE step closer. Now, though, like BS mentioned, with spending unbelievable amounts on war, bailing out every other industry, and now the oil spill (I know; BP's supposed to pay for it. Wonder where BP gets it's revenue...); even if someone had the political will there's no way a trip to Mars or the moon would be funded.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »

Space exploration is an enemy of Islam and must be wiped out.

"Sun rises, Muslims worldwide outraged, demand apology. Ra unavailable for comment"
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:28 AM »

Muslims would have a heck of a hard time with space travel, what with space being curved and all. And what if (going scifi for a sec here) we drop into another dimension or something to get where were going? where would they pray to?
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2