The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 06:00:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NOT racism ...|>  (Read 7745 times)

12AX7

NOT racism ...|>
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:31:16 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100816/ap_on_re_us/us_staten_island_attacks

Some of Port Richmond's black residents assert that newcomers' presence touches a nerve. Mike Mason, 47, a teacher who works in New Jersey, said the arrival of Mexican immigrants had changed the texture of the community.
"America has got to do something as far as immigration goes," he said. "In the morning you can see the streets lined with undocumented workers ... That's always in the back of people's minds."

Some of Port Richmond's blackwhite residents assert that newcomers' presence touches a nerve. Mike Mason, 47, a teacher who works in New Jersey, said the arrival of Mexican immigrantsNegroes had changed the texture of the community.
"America has got to do something as far as immigrationintegration goes," he said. "In the morning you can see the streets lined with undocumented workersgang members ... That's always in the back of people's minds."

And although most of the suspects were described as young black men and investigated for bias crimes, a grand jury has indicted only one of seven people arrested on a hate-crime charge.

most of the suspects were described as young blackwhite men and investigated for biasHATE crimes, a grand jury has indicted only one of seven people arrested on a hate-crime charge. The media, however, released the names and occupations of the white guys; who have lost their jobs, have received death threats, and are permanently branded via internet as racist, possibly white supremacists.

ah. The hypocrisy just slays me.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:22:52 PM by 12AX7 »

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Re: NOT racism
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:24:13 AM »

I just love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm missing something.

How is that story NOT describing racism in action.  As I read it in its original format (without your edits), racism comes through loud and clear.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:03:53 PM »

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm missing something.

How is that story NOT describing racism in action.  As I read it in its original format (without your edits), racism comes through loud and clear.

erm..   psst... "Sarcasm"   ;-)

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »

I was being sarcastic. When there are white people involved; racism is the first word out of everyone's mouth. The white people's identities and locations, and sometimes even workplaces, are disclosed; whereas here all you get is "the suspects were described as young black men" and that only ONE has even been charged with a hate crime. And what is a "bias crime"?  A hate crime for non-whites?  How about Mr. Mason, who said, " the arrival of Mexican immigrants had changed the texture of the community."  Can you imagine that statement even being printed if that was a white person speaking about blacks?

That was my point. I believe that the twisted way races are represented in the media has direct effect on race relations nationwide; and the effect is intentional, and detrimental.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Re: NOT racism ...|>
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »

There's big money to be made by the exploiting the culture of victimhood.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »

your ancestors enslaved us, give us money forever!

you know what? I wasn't involved in the slavery crap! in fact, I'm pretty sure none of my ancestors were either! what people conveniently don't remember is that more than half the country fought against slavery, and only a tiny fraction of the country as a whole actually owned any.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:30:16 PM »

your ancestors enslaved us, give us money forever!

you know what? I wasn't involved in the slavery crap! in fact, I'm pretty sure none of my ancestors were either! what people conveniently don't remember is that more than half the country fought against slavery, and only a tiny fraction of the country as a whole actually owned any.
You're trolling, right?  RIGHT?!?!?!?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Clear_Runway

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »

You're trolling, right?  RIGHT?!?!?!?

are you gonna feed me or what?
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

sandsphinx

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-3
  • Dont feed the trolls, merely get a team of hobbits
    • View Profile
    • Geeklin
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100816/ap_on_re_us/us_staten_island_attacks

Some of Port Richmond's blackwhite residents assert that newcomers' presence touches a nerve. Mike Mason, 47, a teacher who works in New Jersey, said the arrival of Mexican immigrantsNegroes had changed the texture of the community.
"America has got to do something as far as immigrationintegration goes," he said. "In the morning you can see the streets lined with undocumented workersgang members ... That's always in the back of people's minds."

most of the suspects were described as young blackwhite men and investigated for biasHATE crimes, a grand jury has indicted only one of seven people arrested on a hate-crime charge. The media, however, released the names and occupations of the white guys; who have lost their jobs, have received death threats, and are permanently branded via internet as racist, possibly white supremacists.

ah. The hypocrisy just slays me.

I'm kind of glad I live in an area that doesn't have "gangs" and violence, but I think I would be really unhappy if I had people who came into my country, who don't have jobs and don't plan on finding one, and hang on the streets all day. I find that actually a waste of a life.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »

are you gonna feed me or what?
Only if someone actually gives me the go ahead to feed you your own heart after scooping it out of your chest with a grapefruit spoon.

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »

It's hypocrisy when its white Americans complaining about immigration, as well. How quickly people forget that they're all descended from immigrants.

Only if someone actually gives me the go ahead to feed you your own heart after scooping it out of your chest with a grapefruit spoon.

Why a spoon, Vespertine? Why not an axe?

Clear_Runway

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 04:57:42 PM »

It's hypocrisy when its white Americans complaining about immigration, as well. How quickly people forget that they're all descended from immigrants.

Why a spoon, Vespertine? Why not an axe?

because it would be more painful.

and no, its not. my ancestors immigrated legally. I have no problems with Mexicans who want to become Americans.
- RIP Scatman John

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »

The hypocrisy I was referring to is that of the media. Whether it's based in political correctness, or based in politics (writing/running stories a particular way, in certain locales, to promote a political agenda).

EDIT FROM V: Even though it shows that I edited your post, I didn't really.  I accidentally hit modify when I meant to hit quote and I got my whole reply (below) typed into your post and saved before I realized what I had done.  Then I went back and undid it and left you this note.   :-D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:18:59 PM by Vespertine »

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 05:13:04 PM »

because it would be more painful.

and no, its not. my ancestors immigrated legally. I have no problems with Mexicans who want to become Americans.

If you consider genocide and land theft to be legal, then sure.

Also, the only mention of illegal immigrants was the quote from the schoolteacher, and nothing in the article confirms this. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but the article seems to be saying that there's an increasing Hispanic presence in this particular community, and people are assuming they're illegal immigrants. The people who are being attacked seem to be here legally.

The hypocrisy I was referring to is that of the media. Whether it's based in political correctness, or based in politics (writing/running stories a particular way, in certain locales, to promote a political agenda).

This is also true - hypocrisy all around!

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 05:16:54 PM »

It's interesting you should bring that up.  I agree about the hypocrisy, but I've actually now seen an example of what I consider to be a responsible editorial decision from one of our local news outlets. 

An undercover cop (and two others) got ambushed during a drug deal a couple weeks ago.  One of the officers died.  The most recent update I read in the local news was that another suspect had been arrested.  Near the end of the story the article said that three of the suspects are African-American and the fourth is Hispanic, "and is here legally".  They NEVER used to say anything about that.  I brought it up to my sister who tells me that she sees it all the time now on the same news outlet.  We came to the conclusion that the editorial board is making an attempt to diffuse the state of race relations here in Phoenix, and both my sister and I applaud their efforts.

Backstory: Here in Arizona, immigration (specifically anyone who even remotely resembles a Hispanic) is something that almost no one can talk about without shouting...things have gotten very nasty, and if you ask me, there's real violence simmering just below the surface.

Clear_Runway

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »

If you consider genocide and land theft to be legal, then sure.

to be precise: all of my ancestors that I am aware of (one of the lines in particular I can trace back to Czechoslovakia) did not participate in anything of the kind, since they immigrated at around the turn of the century. as for the lines I cannot trace back, I suppose it's possible, but statistically they are likely to have immigrated around the same time, well after any genocide or theft took place. should I be punished on the possibility that my ancestors - who I am not responsible for in any case - committed some sort of crime against humanity?
- RIP Scatman John

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 05:28:19 PM »

to be precise: all of my ancestors that I am aware of (one of the lines in particular I can trace back to Czechoslovakia) did not participate in anything of the kind, since they immigrated at around the turn of the century. as for the lines I cannot trace back, I suppose it's possible, but statistically they are likely to have immigrated around the same time, well after any genocide or theft took place. should I be punished on the possibility that my ancestors - who I am not responsible for in any case - committed some sort of crime against humanity?

Did I say you should? All I'm saying is that Americans who look down on immigration are, in my opinion, hypocrites; we're all descended from immigrants. I mentioned this because, as I said, to me the article seemed to be implying a bias against all immigrants, including the legal ones.

I'm also saying that if we want to get really technical about legal vs. illegal immigration, then we'd do well to remember the legal citizens are only here in the first place because our predecessors committed some hardcore atrocities. I'm sure the indigenous Americans would have much preferred that the invading Englishmen merely stole their more menial labor jobs.

12AX7

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »

It's interesting you should bring that up.  I agree about the hypocrisy, but I've actually now seen an example of what I consider to be a responsible editorial decision from one of our local news outlets. 

An undercover cop (and two others) got ambushed during a drug deal a couple weeks ago.  One of the officers died.  The most recent update I read in the local news was that another suspect had been arrested.  Near the end of the story the article said that three of the suspects are African-American and the fourth is Hispanic, "and is here legally".  They NEVER used to say anything about that.  I brought it up to my sister who tells me that she sees it all the time now on the same news outlet.  We came to the conclusion that the editorial board is making an attempt to diffuse the state of race relations here in Phoenix, and both my sister and I applaud their efforts.

That's awesome. Kinda sad in a way; but awesome in the attempt.

Backstory: Here in Arizona, immigration (specifically anyone who even remotely resembles a Hispanic) is something that almost no one can talk about without shouting...things have gotten very nasty, and if you ask me, there's real violence simmering just below the surface.

You've heard my opinion on immigration; but I have to say...   it's got to be a bitter pill to move into a place with names like San Antonio, El Paso, Casa Grande, Yuma, Chula Vista, San Diego, and Los Angeles and be told you're here illegally by someone pale white and named something like Axel Fisher.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »

should I be punished on the possibility that my ancestors - who I am not responsible for in any case - committed some sort of crime against humanity?

What about Budweiser? Someone has to pay.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »

Ves that's great that a media outlet is doing that there.  It's nice to hear something good for a change.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 10:48:08 PM »

I'm going to clue you in on how some of us Native Americans feel about people who think like this. You say you are here "legally" and that your ancestors immigrated "legally", but they came through an illegal government that killed and displaced and dispossessed the original inhabitants of the land.

Just because a thief says you can have something they stole, doesn't make it right for you to keep it and by keeping it, especially if you know it was stolen, you, by principle, become a thief.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 11:10:48 PM »

but they came through an illegal government that killeds and displacedes and dispossessed the original inhabitants of the land.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Clear_Runway

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 11:26:06 PM »

funny how you use the word "you". Its almost like you think I personally came to north America and slaughtered all the Indians. well I didn't. and all the people who did are long dead. All I can do is look back and say "well that sucked". it isn't like every non-Indian can just pack up and leave the entire western hemisphere - and I'm pretty sure you don't want us to. So what do you want? recognition? you have it. there are countless memorials to and reminders of the Native Americans struggle against the White Man. do you want favoritism? you have that too - I imagine that if you have enough Indian blood to call yourself a Native American, you probably had little difficulty getting into college. What Native Americans really want is guilt - you want to be able to remind every non-indigenous person you see  (and this logically extends to non-whites - after all, you applied it to me, and none of my ancestors had left Europe at the time) that they are living on stolen ground.

okay, that's enough vitriol for now.
- RIP Scatman John

12AX7

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 11:32:44 PM »

In my experience, most Native Americans don't bring it up unless it's already the subject at hand, much less want something for it (a la "reparations").

I mean, I've never seen any seeking guilt; like you're saying. It's actually a pretty quiet subject as far as I know. I'm sure there are complaints, and grievances,

but I've never seen nor heard of any Native Americans pushing it in your face or 'reminding' anyone without - as I said - the conversation already being at hand.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:39:47 PM by 12AX7 »
Pages: [1] 2