The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 07:59:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2921 times)

12AX7

What would you do?
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »

You have captured a foreign national believed to be engaged in espionage.
 The suspect has committed no other crimes than said espionage.

1. Execute them

2. Imprison them for life

3. Imprison them for a less than life term; then deport and ban them from re-entry for life

4. Imprison them for a less than life term; then deport them

5. Deport them and ban them from re-entry

6. Deport them

7. Nothing

This could be a poll; but Im more interested in your reasons than the overall vote direction.

What would you do, and why or why not?

Personally, I lean towards just deport and ban for life. Every nation knows that every other nation does the same thing - and HAS to. I'd probably make a big fuss about it to the spy's home country; but would just send the man back and ban him, unless I could use him for some sort of leverage for something. And obviously; if I kept him, he would be kept in prison.  Either I'd go that route; or just execute them as soon as found guilty. I suppose it would depend on the relationship with the offending nation and the message I'd want to send; and to whom.

So  .  .  .  
 What would you do?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:48:12 AM by 12AX7 »

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »

same answer as you
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »

Are we at war with the country of which said foreign national is a citizen?

If so, what is the danger of level of the information that could have been/was obtained?
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »

Are we at war with the country of which said foreign national is a citizen?

If so, what is the danger of level of the information that could have been/was obtained?

No. No war; but I cant specify any sort of political relationship, as that would sort of direct people's replies to a certain situation. I'm interested in hearing
 -for example- "If we were at war, execution; if it was an ally; deport and ban" - your reasons; even for different situations.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »

I would personally not even attempt to apprehend that person in the first place.  Not my job, not my concern.  If you're asking what should the US do, the answer is it depends.

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »

I would personally not even attempt to apprehend that person in the first place.  Not my job, not my concern.  If you're asking what should the US do, the answer is it depends.

For clarification,  by "you" I meant as a hypothetical sovereign nation. Not as you personally; although I realize I am asking you, personally, the question.
 What I am looking for is people's ideas of what to do with a spy when they are caught. If 'it depends'; which I agree, it should; what differences depend on what circumstances? For example, I said earlier I would either simply deport and ban him; or execute him. Thats a serious difference, and my reasons would be something akin to:
  If it was an ally; and they were not sharing this info/intel/devices/whatever with someone dangerous to me; I'd simply send them home, ban them from re-entry, and make a statement about not being happy with our allies right now because of this, but that we are still allies.
  If it was someone dangerous to me; then it would depend on their usefulness to me. If more useful alive; such as intelligence gleaned or bargaining power gained against someone I wanted to bargain with, they would live - in prison - but be treated well until the situation develops further; determining my next course of action with them.
  If it was someone very dangerous to me; and their execution made it difficult for them to recruit new spies to infiltrate my nation, for example; and it was not someone with whom I could possibly come to terms with; he would be executed. I would not let him return home as I don't want any MORE information to get out to the spying nation, and I wouldn't ask my tax payers to feed, house, medically care for, entertain, and occupy him in a prison.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:29:33 PM by 12AX7 »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »

If I were a sovereign nation I probably deport and not permit reentry if no other law was broken.  If we were at war I would probably keep them as a POW and treat them humanely.  I would not execute as a state should have no right to execute.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »

If I were a sovereign nation I probably deport and not permit reentry if no other law was broken.  If we were at war I would probably keep them as a POW and treat them humanely.  I would not execute as a state should have no right to execute.

Beat me to this, pb.  I think I fall into about the same camp.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »

This was the kernel this thread came from (no shit, huh, lol):

No easy solution to impasse over jailed CIA man

As far as I can tell, two men attempted to rob him, and he shot and killed both. He was arrested; and it was then found out who he was.

What do you think should happen here? We are allies; but releasing him in this climate could indeed escalate issues globally. I feel sure they are treating him decently. Should they try and sentence him? Does anyone know their penalties, btw? (I dont) Should they release him to us regardless of global sentiment? Should we "let" them try and sentence him? Should we, effectively, abandon him? Should we cut funding to Pakistan if they don't release him?

I don't have any good answers on this one yet.

djb1987

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »

i think deport lets face it for every person that is there are more than likely 3 who slip through the net so might aswell deport and ban because even if executed it isnt going to change the 3 that havent been found

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »

Stop that.   :x

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222