The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 06:00:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Literature Lately  (Read 17004 times)

TRAHALD

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +14/-22
  • IDDQD
    • View Profile
Re: Literature Lately
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2006, 02:05:45 AM »

Most all of the recent Alan Moore adaptations have been crummy.  I think V was alright, but they really pounded the audience over the head unnecces  unnessi … when they didn't need to.  Why else would Moore have requested to be left off the credits?  Because he hated it!  On the good side, Hugo Weaving was superb as V, and the fact that Natalie Portman was down with a head shave for the part gained her mucho karma in my book.

If you enjoy graphic novels, "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "300", all of "Sin City", and any Hellboy issue is awesome.  You might also check out "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac" by Jhonen Vasquez (the brains behind Invader Zim, but don't expect the kiddie stuff here), "The Hobbit" by David Wenzel (adapted by Charles Dixon and Sean Deming), and the early John Constantine Hellblazer issues.  Lastly, Marvel has finally released the full run of the original Age of Apocalypse run from 1995 in chronological order in 4 volumes.  Vol 1-3 are available now, and vol. 4 hits in October.

You may resume your daily lives, the Nerd has spoken.
"There seems to be no good reason why a thoroughly scientific dictatorship should ever be overthrown." - Aldous Huxley

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2006, 08:15:40 AM »

I've finished the Feist book and have started on rereading the Robert A. Heinlein classic "The Number Of The Beast", which I haven't read in a while.  It has always been one of my favourite novels, and now that I'm better-read on Lazarus Long, perhaps the ending will make better sense now.  :)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »

I can attest to the incredible awesomeness of Johnny the Homocidal Maniac, as I'm a huge Happy Noodle Boy fan (he's popular among the homeless insane). Also, if you haven't read the Sin City graphic novels you ought to.

I read the Subtle Knife, and now I'm reading the Amber Spyglass. It's better than the Subtle Knife, but nowhere near as good as the Golden Compass.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2006, 03:55:24 PM »

Hellboy's awesome and so are the Alan Moore books I've read (V, Watchmen, and LXG). Poor Alan Moore...his adaptations are always a lot different than the books, and I hope to whatever gods give half a shit that they never make that Watchmen movie they've been talking about.

Still, I thought that the V for Vendetta movie kicked ass, and that the changes made were just a conversion to the new medium. I treated it as a wholly seperate thing from the book, but based on similar themes. That being said, a comic virgin that I brought with me to watch came out saying he wanted to borrow my copy, so it was a good experience.

The last fiction book that I read would have to be Peter Benchley's (the Jaws guy with the shark fixation) 'White Shark' which is about a half-Nazi half-shark thing.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2006, 07:18:41 PM »

The last fiction book that I read would have to be Peter Benchley's (the Jaws guy with the shark fixation) 'White Shark' which is about a half-Nazi half-shark thing.

That sounds awesome. I may have to get off my ass someday and MS Paint a half-shark people D-Day battle. That would rock.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2006, 12:16:06 AM »

I spent around eight hours learning to draw sharks so I can move on to half-shark half Nazis.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]