The Geek Forum

• May 20, 2024, 12:18:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129646
  • Total Topics: 7193
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Big project  (Read 1658 times)

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Big project
« on: September 11, 2003, 03:07:56 PM »

Hmmm, some background for you. I enlisted for a news reporting class this year at school and have just recently been given my first assignment. By next Monday, I must have information available to write an article on a crime, fire, court verdict, press conference, speech, government meeting, issue, weather, and profile. All must be gathered from first hand sources (courthouse, police archives, fire department, etc).

I've set aside tomorrow for all that, heh, so wish me luck and if ya have any tips for wrestling ostensibly public records out of these peoples' hands, do give.

Incidentally, the Township of Aberdeen-Matawan is my beat, so if any of the locals have some leads, give here.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Anonymous

Big project
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 08:07:14 PM »

That's a lot to do in one day, but then again if you're doing it in Matawan and Aberdeen that's not that much ground to cover. If you go to Town Hall in Matawan you should be able to knock off just about all of those. The only tough thing might be weather, as I don't think they keep track of those sorts of things at town hall.

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Big project
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 08:51:23 PM »

Hm... the municipal center's on Church Street, I know. I can certainly at least start my research there.

I'm not too worried about weather. I can always figure that one out as I go along; maybe the local TV station at the high school would even help me with that. I'm sure the secretary at the municipal center will be able to direct me around town.

Plus I could always ask for the file of a friend of mine; that should knock off at least 2 of my articles, plus get me an "eyewitness account" heh. (Like they'd release a person's police file to just anybody)
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Big project
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 09:10:45 PM »

Matawan NJ?  Isn't that where the shark attacks took place a long time ago?  Could you use those for anything?
"Ohhh! That is almost sig quote material.... almost!" - The Judge

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Big project
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 08:40:13 AM »

Heh, within the last year or 50 is best. :lol:
The shark attacks are out history though; we should do more to let people know. Our beaches would be just packed with dumb tourists though.... Not that our waters are swimmable....

Geez, there's a bias case in the works in Middletown concerning 5 alleged neo-Nazis vandalizing St. Catherine's Church. On Sept 11, 2001, a Matawan man stopped in a Holmdel gas station and punched the first Muslim-looking man (actually a Sikh, not surprisingly) he saw "out of patriotism". What's the best I can find in the area right now?
Woman pleads guilty to not finding proper shelter for 15 dogs.

Though I've checked and apparently yesterday, there was a brawl at the VFW in Cliffwood. I'm playing journalistic scavenger hunt, just like a real reporter!!! :!:

EDIT: Wow. I got even less far than I thought I would! Doesn't help that I would have slightly more pull if I claimed I was with the NJ IndyMedia than where I'm coming from now... Not to mention today's "Close Random Streets in Aberdeen Day" where random lanes on random streets in random areas are closed down for no reason, visible or not. I was half expecting the Minotaur to attack my car...