The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 06:21:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Something Interesting From School. Finally.  (Read 4346 times)

Anonymous

Something Interesting From School. Finally.
« on: November 05, 2003, 11:28:18 PM »

For once this year in school I have finally heard one of my teachers make a very valid point. English, of all classes. We had to read an excerpt from "Civil Disobedience" by Henry David Thoreau which sparked the discussion of how public schools have to make the students learn, where on the other hand, private schools do not have to do that; if you don't want to learn and instead fool around and bull shit your ways around the halls, they throw you out.

Then how is it, that in public schools students that want to get their work done have to put up with morons that think they must look cool instead of learn? Even if they disrupt the learning environment, they are put right back there the next day, or a week later, or whenever to do the same thing simply because they value other things than their own education.

Tax payers are paying money to give their children an education in the public schools, shouldn't they be allowed to make the rules instead of giving students second, third, forth, and even fifth chances and then only to disrupt the learning environment time and time again? Sure, we all have the right to a free education as we grow up in the United States, but it's pretty hard to get educated when other students clearly do not want to learn, and instead want to go into the bathroom and smoke, or want to take away time in class for stupid nonsense. It clearly does not work that well when you force people to learn when they'd rather move garbage around for the rest of their lives, or wind up 6 feet under in a few years because they over dosed.

How do we fix this problem? Simple. Catch someone smoking in the school, throw them out. Who cares if they are addicted. It's their problem, not someone else's. Why use tax payer's money to educate them even more after they have been told daily for 11 years that it is bad for them. It clearly demonstrates that they don't want to learn as smoking only kills brain cells. If they start or provoke a fight, do the same thing. Get rid of them. They only cause a huge scene in the hall ways which gets everyone talking about it for the next three periods. If you want to fight, do it on the streets, motherfuckers.

I don't see how it's that hard for people to follow some rules for 6 hours each day. Once they get out of school, they can go do whatever they want. They can go jump infront of a Mac Truck for all I care. But as long as they're in the same school as me, I don't want to hear them bitch and moan about how they have it so bad that they have to smoke, or their parents made them the way they are, or even how badly they have to go to the bathroom, and if they don't go to the bathroom they'll sue. We all know what they're most likely going to do in the bathroom. Smoke.

Morons.

Hazard

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://dark-soul.org/brite
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 02:59:49 AM »

That's exactly why I don't go to school anymore.   I've found an alternative.  I do all my schooling at home, but will still get my OSSD. (Ontario Secondary School Diploma) One of the local schools offers an at-home correspondence program.   I just go in whenever I'm finished the lessons they give me, and they give me more.  It'll allow me to graduate a year early.
Ask not what your Student Body President can do for you, ask what you can do for your Student Body President's body.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 11:08:09 AM »

There's one fundamental problem with the Public School System in the United States:

It's Public.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 05:38:44 PM »

Public schools are generally currupt because they are trying to deal with morons. They become currupt when they start making rules that are unjust to the other decent students. If they were able to filter out all of the morons in the system, and still keep it free, it would be a pretty good system then. But until that, the system has some major issues to deal with.

For instance, my schools latest campaign:
Steal other people's property.

Why do I say "steal"? Because that's just what they're doing. Their latest announcment states that they are going to strictly enforce the rules regarding cellphones, hoods, gloves, and food outside of the cafeteria. I especially enjoy the line that goes something like, "Any facaulty member has the right to take any paging device that they see in school". They don't say that they can take it from you if you are using it in the hallways or during class, but they say that they have the right to take it away from you if they see it. Again, I thought I was going to a public school and not privite school. It certainly seems like I'm going to a privite school.

I'm curious to know if they are legally allowed to just "take" anything they see while in school. Like I said before, they can't do that within other public places, so why is school any different?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 05:44:29 PM »

The problem with public schools is like public anything:

Lowest common denominator.

It will only be as fast-paced as the slowest students.

It will only be as informative as the stupidest people can handle.

It will only be as controversial or "cutting edge" as the average member of the voting public is willing to accept.

Because of this, public schools will always be merely adequate or mediocre at the very best, by definition.

Any that truly excel are not following the rules, or are corrupt in some way.  The system itself is what guarantees mediocrity.  If public schools are to be "fixed", then first the system itself must be dismantled and replaced.

Starting with how teachers are handled and going from there.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 11:23:44 PM »

An example:

My German I class is perhaps the least productive class in the entire school.  The instructor is an American-bashing middle-aged Austrian woman who barks at anyone who even attempts to question the lessons, regardless of whether or not they have a valid query.  She's paranoid; convinced that we're all making Nazi jokes behind her back.  Even if my classmates weren't complete disruptive oxygen thieves (I'll get to them in a moment), we'd still be fucked if we wanted to *gasp* learn something.  

Across from me is the dreaded "purple people eater."  This girl seems to think she's hot shit because of her purple hair, studded belt,  and pack of Marlboro's.  When asked by the teacher to do work, she responds with a loud "That's bullshit!"  Her friends (a pack of giggly, disrespectful, Blink 182-listening cunts) justify her behaviour and emulate it every chance they can.  This takes up at least a third of every class.

My school is divided into three houses, one for each segment of the student body divided alphabetically.  Each house is run by a vice principal.  When a student is so disruptive that they need to be sent out of the room, that's where they're sent.  The German instructor, Frau Z, sends at least three people to their house office daily.  Half the time, they did nothing to merit it.  Sneeze, and risk this woman's wrath.  Need to sharpen your pencil?  Tough shit.  Need a tissue?  Fuck you, use your sleeve.  The administration refuses to do anything about this woman, despite the fact that we don't learn anything from her.  They laugh at students sent to see them, give them a pat on the back, and send them back to class.  "Third one today!"  

On the first day of class someone asked about Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech, and the famous jelly donut reference.  How did she respond to that one?  "You Americans think you're sosmart!  The thought never occured to anybody until some American (said with disgust) looked in a pastry book and said 'Oh, look, a Berliner!' and thought he was so very clever.  It's no wonder Europe doesn't take you seriously."   Similar anti-US rants take place every day.  

Anyone who so much as mentions the Third Reich in ANY manner is immediately sent out of the room.  Yeah, Frau, denying it makes what happened any less real.  According to friends with a different German teacher, they're supposed to be learning about the rise and fall of the Third Reich.  It's a required part of the course.  (We're not only supposed to learn about the German language, but also the German culture.)

Between the students and the teacher, German I is a waste of a course.  The only German I've actually learned is through my father.  Go figure.
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 12:13:36 AM »

Sounds like you have yourself a serious problem there, Jay. I can't really lend much advice on the situation, however, the sheer story of it was extremely amusing to read through.

While I'm hot and on the topic, whatever happened to your little pearl of wisdom 'HeavyJay.Net'? Didn't take much interest in it anymore? Changed hosts without telling me?

Just thought I'd ask...

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 02:49:10 PM »

The blog is gone, but I've set up a forum.
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 02:58:16 PM »

Chris, I was one of the morrons you are describing. The problem was not that I didn't want to learn. In fact, in some classes where I was actually interested, I was participating and doing great. In other classes, I was throwing pencil cases at the teacher's head. I don't think I smoked in the bathrooms because I liked to smoke outside. But I did light up one of those snake smoke thingies onces. Now I know why they say for "external use" only... The fire departement was involved. Half the schoolhad to be evacuated and the police came because those litte toys are not legal in Canada. My point is I wasn't behaving stupidly because I wanted to steal other's time. I was behaving that way because the public school system failed to inspire me. They failed at providing a learning environment that was adequate for me. And that's their damn fault. They waisted tax payers money. Not me.

SatannicA

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 02:15:00 AM »

I think these morons can be filtered out with a simple screening for any "Phat Farm" clothing. If you wear your hat sideways at a rediculous angle, Weird Tingly Feeling is the point? Weren't hats made to keep sunlight out of your eyes? Curve the goddamn brim atleast so you don't look like a rediculous idiot. But I suppose they'll have to keep their $50 hats in mint condition for when they need to sell them on eBay to support their pregnant girlfriend(s).

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 08:07:55 AM »

Woah... Don't go starting to judge people by the looks. Sure, the hat has a function to block sunlight or what ever, but do you think that's the reason why the kids wear them? Nope. Thus the argument that they are idiots because they wear it sideways is irrelevant.

When I was young and confused (I'm just older and confused now) I had what people would qualify as a rebel look and I was judged and classed based on that only. Yet all of my life, I've always made the effort not to wrong anyone. I think I'm a good person. I think I have always been a good person. But then people like you kept judging me and made my life very difficult. And I have a serious problem with that. But that's just my opinion.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 12:59:30 PM »

Nah, people wearing hats sideways is stupid.

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 01:00:21 PM »

Yeah...

SatannicA

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2003, 12:46:26 AM »

If by "rebel" look, you mean a band shirt with torn denim vest and leather pants, with chains everywhere, hell that's cool! Just add a Slash-style top hat and you're ready for a night out on the town. But, so far, every single person who i've seen dressing in the "gangsta" (and it's many non-african american forms, ie: 'wangsta') attire has shown multiple signs of stupidity... just a few examples are: -Kid in my shop class used a $500 roll of semi-reflective lucite as a fake "cock" swinging it around looking like an idiot, eventually getting caught, suspended, and removed from the class, good riddance. -Some young punk tripped me in the halls for no apparent reason, upon questioning his behavior, he responded with a slack-jawed "What are you looking at?" -While passing the table where these idiots sit in my shop class, I noticed them talking about a TV show they saw, they were genuinely believing that Jesus* could have came from another planet, & there is intelligent life on mars, then they proceeded to discussing how "hype" these TV shows are.
Perhaps this is just because I *HATE* rap "music" in all its forms, but these morons truly are stupid.

*Jesus, assuming he existed

SatannicA

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2003, 01:03:11 AM »

Oh by the way Judge, I have no idea how old you are, so I have no idea what your definition of "rebel" is. I kind of also consider myself to be a "rebel", one that dresses in a t-shirt and jeans. I've matured slightly now, but back in my glory days of middle school, i'd get into all kinds of trouble, but never anything like a fight, I don't understand why two people in a disagreement would want to make it worse by involving violence, therefore involving the school administration (despite their incompentence), involving their parents, and in the end, their college resumes. But even being in a "gifted" class, I somehow managed to stray away from our strict social stereotypes, sure I did alot of stupid things, but ATLEAST I managed to get good marks also. And it was rare that petty offences would be reported. I've somewhat matured now, and don't go by my wicked ways anymore, but these days I'm walking down the halls, I'll see people swearing at each other and arguing, then when a teacher comes to intervene, they just start fighting, it truly does show stupidity, atleast I had the common sense to know when to stop, after all, it's only a crime if you're caught. So anywho, I think I've begun rambling again, I think I'll stop, I have better things to do (not really), why is it always past midnight that I drop by this site?

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2003, 10:08:03 AM »

I'm 27. I think... Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it. I also have a bad memory.

What I mean by rebel is someone who refuses to conform to the norm and will go out of his way to point out how ridiculous the norm can be sometimes. It doesn't mean a trouble maker, an asshole, a bully or anything like that. It's not related to right and wrong but it's just a way to look at life and it requires an oppositional personality. I started caving in during my second year of university because I failed half of my courses in the 1st year. Just to give you an example, during my 1st year of university, I had a typing course (yeah, what the hell does that have to do with a business program...) Anyway, I have always typed with both my index fingers all my life and didn't want to learn the proper way because I didn't feel a need for it. It was of no benefit to me, so why put in the effort? So with my years of two finger typing experience, I manage to type faster and more accuratly than the majority. Yes, if I put my mind to it, I can actually avoid typos. lol! I was doing 35 to 40 words per minute with two fingers! Imagine if I had been using all ten!

Long story short, the professor was a bitch who refused to make me pass because I didn't learn the "proper" technique. So whenever she could pin me down, she would. It was really unfair. I failed. I took the course again and got the bitch again. I was even more determined to stick with the two finger approach. She failed me again. I took it a third time. Got a different professor. She didn't give a fuck at all about anything. I met the objectives of the course so I passed. It didn't matter what technique I used. And that was my point all along.

But over time, I realised that it took a lot of my time and money to make my point. And I didn't really have anything in return to show for it except perhaps telling this little story once in a while. From that point on, I stopped waisting my time and started to conform. But there's always that side of me that will come out once in a while and it keeps things interesting.  :D

SatannicA

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2003, 02:33:07 PM »

Ah yes, the infamous 2-finger approach, used by many a famous persons such as Stephen Hawking (actually more like 1), and Homer J. Simpson himself... good job Judge, good job! (SHIT 40 words per minute is crazy for 2 fingers)