The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 04:09:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Foreign Language In The Work Place  (Read 2187 times)

Anonymous

Foreign Language In The Work Place
« on: December 11, 2003, 01:59:50 PM »

Speaking in Tongues

Now the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is suing Sephora on behalf of the women for instituting an "English-only" rule, which the commission says violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, a rule that prohibits discrimination against workers based on their national origin, among other factors.

You have to love our laws in the United States. Why even bother to having an official language if it cannot be official? Does that mean when someone that speaks no English walks into a restaurant, tries to order in their language, and cannot be served because the people serving them cannot understand them sue for discrimination?

I guess that also means that the requirements for the President must be altered as well, right? You know the whole native born citizen thing. Then again, I bet they don't consider being the President as a job, despite benefits, and a yearly salary.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 02:05:19 PM »

Last I checked, America doesn't have an official language.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 02:23:50 PM »

Damnation!

It's those other silly countries that get official languages.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 02:48:30 PM »

Yup, everyone bitches about people speaking spanish all over the place and whatnot, but what they don't realize is that English isn't our "official language".  I think it's great.

I wish America was the true melting pot that it's supposed to be.  Then maybe I'd speak Spanish and be able to cook vietnamese.  Instead, I'm a typical American.  My tradition is beer and a hamburger.

Mmmmm.  Beer and hamburger.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Anonymous

Re: Foreign Language In The Work Place
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 03:16:13 PM »

Quote from: Chris

You have to love our laws in the United States. Why even bother to having an official language if it cannot be official? Does that mean when someone that speaks no English walks into a restaurant, tries to order in their language, and cannot be served because the people serving them cannot understand them sue for discrimination?

That's essentially what it comes down to over here. In my province there are two official languages :English and french. If you go to a restaurant, you have the option to be served in English or French. It doesn't mean that all staff members need tospeak both languages. It means that if your waiter can't server you in the language of your choice, they better have someone else available. It's their responsibility.

Not only do they need to address you in your language, but they need to provide documentation in the language of your choice as well. That can be a menu from a restaurant, or a ticket from the police. What ever.

TheBigBadBruno

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://squaredroot.net
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 03:38:29 PM »

Quote from: Detta
Yup, everyone bitches about people speaking spanish all over the place and whatnot, but what they don't realize is that English isn't our "official language".  I think it's great.

I wish America was the true melting pot that it's supposed to be.  Then maybe I'd speak Spanish and be able to cook vietnamese.  Instead, I'm a typical American.  My tradition is beer and a hamburger.

Mmmmm.  Beer and hamburger.

Yeah, I do agree, but sometimes, don't you think having an Official langugae would be nice? I deal with so many god-damned foreigners at my job, and it really pisses me off. And another thing...to become a citizen of the US...don't you need to be able to read and write in English, although it's not our "Official Langugae"?
There are many people like me in this world who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that.