The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 08:08:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 813029 times)

McFly

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-1
  • McFly
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #4750 on: September 15, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »

Long overdue, indeed! Three Days Grace is great! (I, personally, prefer the quasi-soothing sounds of Bullet For My Valentine and the always amazing Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, but TDG is good, too.)

I like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and I guess I'll look into Bullet For My Valentine while I'm checking out TDG.

Any specific songs for either of them I should check out? I'm listening to Animal I Have Become by TDG right now, because that's my friendy's favourite. Suggestions are good!  :-P
Floating asteroid...
Got to buy some school supplies...
You're soaking in it.

reverb

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: September 15, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »

I like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and I guess I'll look into Bullet For My Valentine while I'm checking out TDG.

Any specific songs for either of them I should check out? I'm listening to Animal I Have Become by TDG right now, because that's my friendy's favourite. Suggestions are good!  :-P

I just picked up the albums from my friend so I don't have many favorites yet.  I do enjoy the One-X album.  My music has been wandering from Avenged Sevenfold (A7X!) to Seether to TDG to Fall Out Boy to Rise Against... etc
<signature />

McFly

• Annoying Newbie
  • McFly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: September 15, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »

I just picked up the albums from my friend so I don't have many favorites yet.  I do enjoy the One-X album.  My music has been wandering from Avenged Sevenfold (A7X!) to Seether to TDG to Fall Out Boy to Rise Against... etc

I'm not too big on Avenged Sevenfold, personally, or Seether, but to teach their own. I do have a strange affection for Fall Out Boy. I dig Rise Against, and I love them for their version of 'Making Christmas' from Nightmare Before Christmas, that was awesome.
Floating asteroid...
You're soaking in it.

h4wt_b3t4

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +115/-17
  • Not an FBI agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: September 15, 2009, 09:47:23 PM »

Any specific songs for either of them I should check out?

For Bullet, I suggest Tears Don't Fall or Forever and Always. My personal favourite Three Days Grace song is Born Like This, but Animal I Have Become is really good, too.
Clear_Runway: i'm not a fothermucker. i'm a buck futter.

ivan: No one really needs to beg to differ. Just go ahead and differ. In fact, I beg you to differ without begging.

reverb

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: September 15, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »

I'm not too big on Avenged Sevenfold, personally, or Seether, but to teach their own. I do have a strange affection for Fall Out Boy. I dig Rise Against, and I love them for their version of 'Making Christmas' from Nightmare Before Christmas, that was awesome.

Yeah my music tastes are actually quite random. I forgot to mention in that listthat I have also been listening to My Chemical Romance lately now too.  I just got re-addicted to buying CDs.  A strange concept I know.  I am trying to think of what else I have picked up lately... Breaking Benjamin, Thrice, Shinedown...

When I am not in this genre of tastes I can also be found listening to classic rock, country, and yes even pop music (but not as much)
<signature />

McFly

• Annoying Newbie
  • McFly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: September 15, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »

Yeah my music tastes are actually quite random. I forgot to mention in that listthat I have also been listening to My Chemical Romance lately now too.  I just got re-addicted to buying CDs.  A strange concept I know.  I am trying to think of what else I have picked up lately... Breaking Benjamin, Thrice, Shinedown...

When I am not in this genre of tastes I can also be found listening to classic rock, country, and yes even pop music (but not as much)

I love me some MCR. I think Demolition Lovers is my favourite song of theirs. I like Breaking Benjamin, and I can't wait for their new CD... I don't remember when it comes out... the one they released off of it, 'I Will Not Bow' is really good, and I really wanna see the movie it's attached to (Surrogates, sci-fi Bruce Willis, whoo!)

Hell, I'll listen to anything. Pop music does tend to make me cringe in general, but I have found some good stuff hidden in the fail.
Floating asteroid...
You're soaking in it.

h4wt_b3t4

• Troll
  • Not an FBI agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: September 15, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »

Same. Unfortunately, we are the minority, and despite the fact that we listen to lots of good music... bleh. My metal friends berate me for listening to country (and rap, and pop), and my pop friends berate me for listening to metal (and country, sometimes). And... I have no friends who listen exclusively to rap. But my stepbrother does, and he constantly berates me for that.

Maybe I should just act insane like Dolphus Raymond so people will leave me alone. [What's in this bottle? Uhm... whiskey. Yeah.  :w: ]

ivan: No one really needs to beg to differ. Just go ahead and differ. In fact, I beg you to differ without begging.

reverb

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: September 15, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »

Pop music does tend to make me cringe in general, but I have found some good stuff hidden in the fail.

I couldn't have stated that better myself!  I was just introduced to MCR and have only listened to The Black Parade album. I plan on listening to much more ASAP. Perhaps on free.napster.com at work tomorrow if its an option.  

If you are interested in listening to a very "special" song.  You should listen to Avenged Sevenfold's   "A little piece of heaven".  I really like it in a strange twisted kind of way.  

Alright the music chat has been great but I am about to pass out... talk to you kids tomorrow...
<signature />

McFly

• Annoying Newbie
  • McFly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: September 15, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »

Same. Unfortunately, we are the minority, and despite the fact that we listen to lots of good music... bleh. My metal friends berate me for listening to country (and rap, and pop), and my pop friends berate me for listening to metal (and country, sometimes). And... I have no friends who listen exclusively to rap. But my stepbrother does, and he constantly berates me for that.

Maybe I should just act insane like Dolphus Raymond so people will leave me alone. [What's in this bottle? Uhm... whiskey. Yeah.  :w: ]

Berate them back... with a hammer!

All music's good music, unless you're Kanye West. Hell, my ring tone is an Asia song.

It's kinda cute that you have 'metal' friends and 'pop' friends. I have 'if it wasn't on vinyl it's bullshit' friends and 'my band is better and unappreciated, and im so butthurt i cant listen to anyone else's music' friends.

*sigh* Stupid elitists.
Floating asteroid...
You're soaking in it.

h4wt_b3t4

• Troll
  • Not an FBI agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: September 16, 2009, 06:33:54 AM »

Berate them back... with a hammer!

All music's good music, unless you're Kanye West. Hell, my ring tone is an Asia song.

It's kinda cute that you have 'metal' friends and 'pop' friends. I have 'if it wasn't on vinyl it's bullshit' friends and 'my band is better and unappreciated, and im so butthurt i cant listen to anyone else's music' friends.

*sigh* Stupid elitists.

Haha, I have friends of all types. I think the reason I don't have any 'if it wasn't on vinyl its bullshit' friends is because none of my friends were living when things were on vinyl :) And some of my friends are almost of the 'my band is better and unappreciated and... music' category. But bleh. They can listen to their music and I guess I'll listen to mine.

And what's wrong with Kanye West? (Besides at the VMAs. Unless that's what you meant, in which case I get to feel stupid.)

McFly

• Annoying Newbie
  • McFly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: September 16, 2009, 09:52:05 AM »

Haha, I have friends of all types. I think the reason I don't have any 'if it wasn't on vinyl its bullshit' friends is because none of my friends were living when things were on vinyl :) And some of my friends are almost of the 'my band is better and unappreciated and... music' category. But bleh. They can listen to their music and I guess I'll listen to mine.

And what's wrong with Kanye West? (Besides at the VMAs. Unless that's what you meant, in which case I get to feel stupid.)

Shit, most of my 'vinyl' friends are YOUNGER than I am, they're just bat shit crazy.

What isn't wrong with Kanye West? What happened at the VMAs was just one more shovel on the pile of bullshit. "Voice of this generation" my fucking ASS. The guy's an egotistical bag of dicks, and his music is medicore.

If I get going, I won't stop. Sorry, I'll take my opinion of that guy and go over here with it, because this isn't really the place for me to describe how I would like to feed him feet first into a wood chipper. *coughs*

Yea. *walks away*
Floating asteroid...
You're soaking in it.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: September 16, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »

If it wasn't on a 78, it's crap.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

h4wt_b3t4

• Troll
  • Not an FBI agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: September 16, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »

What isn't wrong with Kanye West? What happened at the VMAs was just one more shovel on the pile of bullshit. "Voice of this generation" my fucking ASS. The guy's an egotistical bag of dicks, and his music is medicore.

If I get going, I won't stop. Sorry, I'll take my opinion of that guy and go over here with it, because this isn't really the place for me to describe how I would like to feed him feet first into a wood chipper. *coughs*

Yea. *walks away*

Meh. If I can express my dislike for people who discriminate based on choice of music, you can express your (strong) dislike for Kanye West, I'm sure. Right? Someone get me a mod in herre. I like his music, but he's definitely not the voice of our generation.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4763 on: September 16, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »

song: Tired Of You
artist: Foo Fighters
album: One By One

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

h4wt_b3t4

• Troll
  • Not an FBI agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: September 16, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »

Good choice, demo. FF is great :)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4765 on: September 16, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »

Meh. If I can express my dislike for people who discriminate based on choice of music, you can express your (strong) dislike for Kanye West, I'm sure. Right? Someone get me a mod in herre. I like his music, but he's definitely not the voice of our generation.

NEWBIE FIGHT!!!!

;)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4766 on: September 16, 2009, 04:03:08 PM »

Unrelated: while searching for the image which I just used there, I ran across this, which is probably only semi-work safe: click

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: September 16, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »

The Leiaclone pillow fight is NEVER unrelated.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: September 16, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »

So a friend of mine made me a Status Quo compilation (deliberately excluding the Matchstick Men song), an I've been grooving on it pretty seriously. Just good pure rock n roll. What I mostly think is how fun it would be to cover their songs.

Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju2enr9TUvg#noexternalembed

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4769 on: September 16, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »

That makes me want to play some guitar tonight.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: September 16, 2009, 05:08:38 PM »

Yeah, at least I can figure out what they're playing and get pretty close. I still haven't sussed out the newer metal stuff. Like the stuff my son listens to.

Now he's into the micro-sub-genre of Pirate Metal. I think there are like 3 bands in the world.

This is pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw#noexternalembed

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4771 on: September 16, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »

:-o

That may well be THE MOST AWESOME THING I HAVE EVER HEARD.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: September 16, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »

Here's one by Swashbuckle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53A4GyB96RI#noexternalembed

The Pirate vs. Ninja thing is pretty much settled, as far as I'm concerned. Ninjas can't do this.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4773 on: September 16, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »