The Geek Forum

• May 21, 2024, 01:06:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129653
  • Total Topics: 7200
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Troop withdrawl from Korea  (Read 2325 times)

sketch

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Troop withdrawl from Korea
« on: June 14, 2004, 10:24:19 AM »

After perusing the threads in this part of the forum, I realize that there are mostly US based political discussions on the board.  As I am a US citizen, these are indeed interesting to me (especially in light of the approching election and my relative isolation from other Americans and their political opinions) BUT....as I live in South Korea and come at the news from the other side of the world, I am hoping that nobody will mind if I add a few things here about American politics abroad or simply Asian politics in general.  

(Oh yeah, the caps lock key seems to work quite well when I am writing about things political~~)

SO...In light of this, I am curious what (if any) are your opinions about the impending troop withdrawl from the Korean peninsula.  Do you think that this is, in light of the continued and uncertain threat from North Korea, a good idea?  Do you foresee this move causing political instability in Asia in the future?  Do Americans back in the USA even consider this thought-worthy what with all the sensational media focused on Iraq?

one third of US force to leave by December '05
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.   Epicurus

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 10:53:25 AM »

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the subject, but my understanding is this:
-By and large the South Koreans tolerate the American troops, at best.
-South Korean leadership wants the troops to stave off the DPRK
-Troops who are stationed in South Korea will be overrun in the opening hours of any war, and they know it.  Basically, they're cannon fodder charged with slowing the DPRK army for, literally, maybe a couple of hours, if that.

I don't see it as a problem, personally.  We don't have enough of a military presence there to make that much of a difference, and we need those troops elsewhere.  I may think differently if we're talking about a quarter of a million troops, but we're talking, what, 50,000-ish?  Our presence there is largely symbolic.  The numbers don't matter that much.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 11:32:51 AM »

Quote from: reimero
-Troops who are stationed in South Korea will be overrun in the opening hours of any war, and they know it.  Basically, they're cannon fodder charged with slowing the DPRK army for, literally, maybe a couple of hours, if that.

Actually the purpose of the US troops there isn't really strategic or to even "slow down" an invasion from the north.

They are there only to ensure US involvement in any action on the peninsula initiated by the DPRK.

If the DPRK decides they want to re-initiate hostilities, they essentially guarantee US involvement because they have to go through us first, regardless of how small a force we have there.

That's more of a deterrant than the actual troops themselves currently stationed there.

I don't see it as a problem, personally.  We don't have enough of a military presence there to make that much of a difference, and we need those troops elsewhere.  I may think differently if we're talking about a quarter of a million troops, but we're talking, what, 50,000-ish?  Our presence there is largely symbolic.  The numbers don't matter that much.

I agree.  Personally, I think we should minimize the troops we have there, since their role is more of a political one than a tactical/strategic one.

And even then, only if the South Koreans really want them there.  On that subject I've heard mixed messages, so I'm not really willing to argue the point either way at this time, since I'm not very well informed on that.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

porcuswine

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:12:11 PM »

I think it's more along the lines of :
If you give 'em enough rope........

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 08:00:48 AM »

:?:

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

biggyfred

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 09:17:28 AM »

I think Demo's right. On top of it, paying for bases on foreign soil can't be cheap.

I know I got paaaaaid while in Korea.

The older generation adores American soldiers, and the younger generation detested us (for the most part). I was offered free food by old folks, then yelled at two seconds later by a college student. Bit of a Jekyl and Hyde social situation.
your ad here.

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 04:32:28 PM »

Our largest contribution to the current situation in Korea is strategic.  While, the majority of that IS the type of support that can be done with a minimal amount of personel on the peninsula, there is also a couple other things to consider.

A large number of our Soldiers in Korea are there to provide training in modern US tactics, and to allow for a better combined excercises.  The Soldiers in Korea are also an extremely important part of their economy, something few people realize.  Plus, the missions over there are excelent war-time training.  Korea is currently our ONLY permanent base of opperations in the that theater.  With continuing problems with the People's Republic of China, maintaining a strong presense in the area is certainly a good idea.

The number one reason Soldiers are still in Korea?  We are still at war.  Hardly anyone thinks about it because it never makes the news.  There are still shots fired across the border, there is still the worlds largest special forces parked just across the border, and enough artillery and amunition to make the Chinese new year look like a pop of static.  That is only a prolonged cease-fire, and even that's up for debate.  Were the US to pull out of Korea, we could might face international political problems for loosing a war.

Do I think we should pull out?  No idea.  I can think of several reasons to do either.  I'm sure that decreasing the amount of military we have over there would probably be a pretty decent idea, though.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you