The Geek Forum

• May 21, 2024, 04:12:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129655
  • Total Topics: 7201
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Canadian Election  (Read 17992 times)

Anonymous

Canadian Election
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2004, 07:24:25 AM »

The results are in! I watched till 2:00 am before I called it a night.

It was a very interesting race and a surprising one for many because they relied on poll. I told you those things are evil and irrelevant.

Right of the start, the Liberals took a commanding lead in the Atlantic and that was somewhat expected, but they did better than most anticipated. At that point, what pissed me off is that the results were available to people in the West and they could still go and tip the scale. To be honest, I think everyone in the country should have gone trough the voting process before they start announcing results.

In Quebec, as expected, the Bloc just pounded the liberals in the ass over and over. They ended up with 54 seats, matching the previous record and sending a very strong message to Ottawa. The message was simple: We are different and it must be acknowledged. Also, stop screwing with us in general. The Liberals lost some key MPs. Duceppe was a very happy man. He delivered a very energetic speech. Of all the leaders, I must say he appeared to be the most sincere. He was certainly the most charismatic in my book. This was definitely his night. However, he didn't get the position he was hoping for because if the liberals and the NDPs team up, his success is of little consequence to the liberals in terms of governing. But still, his success represents the anger the population has. Overall, I think it's a very positive thing. The Bloc may not become the balance, but they brought down the Liberal machine to a minority government. As I've stated, I am a supporter of the Liberals still, but this is the outcome I was hoping for. They needed a reality check. They needed to put the brakes on, and Quebec came and did just that. The NPD and the PC didn't accomplish much so far, but the NDP had a clear advantage when you looked at the numbers for the popular vote.

In Central Canada, the votes really didn't reflect the polls. We were expecting the PCs to gain more ground. They didn't. The NDP did quite well, and the Liberals did very well in the sense that they've lost a lot less seats than anticipated by everyone. Layton was in for a tough race and he finally made it with a difference of around 1000 votes over a total of around 180000 votes. At least, those were the last numbers I picked up. It was a close race and I'm sure he was nervous all night. But in the end, he prevailed. This was a great night for him as well. Not only did he win his seat, but the NDPs doubled their seat counts across the country. They did well. The PCs, not so much. They were hoping to get more and it didn't happen. But still, there were a lot of tight races and the balance could have shifted easily. See why you vote counts now?

Out in the west, it was interesting to watch the results for the Liberals and the PCs. In general, you could observe that the big cities were mostly liberal supporters while the rural areas supported the PCs. This was an interesting trend throughout the night. Oh, and some independent guy won somewhere. As soon as he puts down his bong, he's going to have to decide what party he wants to join.

When Mr Harper did his speech, he was obviously disappointed with the results. In fact, he stated he was. But he congratulated his team and told them that they shouldn't be. They should be proud of what they've achieved in so little time. And that's true. They've gained a lot of grounds. When Mr Harper congratulated the other parties and the other leaders, and when he congratulated Martin, people started booing. That pissed me off. Not because I supported Martin, but because you don't do that period. It's not polite and it's not showing respect to your country's leader. Sure, he wasn't your first choice, but this is democracy.

There's one thing Mr Harper still doesn't get to this day. When he campaigned and presented his platform, it was never a question of can he deliver it or not, it was a question of do we want it or not. At some point, Mr Harper was so confident that he was suggesting his party would form a majority government. The reason why that didn't happen, the reason why he didn't even form a government is because the average people didn't agree with his vision. Not because people thought he couldn't deliver. Because they didn't agree. The reason why I say Harper didn't get that simple and obvious message is because during his speech last night, he said he would still pursue the goals of his party with determination even if they didn't form the government. Newsflash Harper: You're on your own. The other parties, whose total form a big majority, don't agree with you and will not help you. The Majority of Canadian voters don't agree with you. Yet, you persist in your quest for radical change. Why? What is it that you don't get exactly? Isn't it pretty darn clear that you need to get off this track leading your train in circles and start looking for a better track?

And finally, Mr Martin delivered his speech. He was clearly excited to win, even if it was a minority government. I'm sure he's glad he'll have to make compromises with the NDPs and the Bloc versus the PCs. That will make things somewhat easier for everyone I think. He recognises that his party needed to work harder and be more responsible. He recognised that there are issues in Quebec and that he would work hard to resolve them in a way that would make Quebec feel like they belong with the rest of the country. And that's very important. I hope this is one thing he achieves.

He repeated his promises on health care, the national daycare program, and his other promises. He said he would deliver. It's going to be interesting to watch if he does. He thanks Canadians. I think he understands that he was given a second chance. And I'm sure he understands how critical it is for him and his party not to blow it.

And that's my summuray of the night.

I think what we will see in the next years is a government that will be moving slowly. There will be a lot of debating before an agreement can be reached. There will be a lot of negociating and a lot of give and take in order for this government to be able to govern. There will not be a formal coalition with other parties, because there doesn't have to be. The liberals can team up with the NDPs on some key issues, with the Bloc on other and even with the PCs, but that won't happen frequently. The liberals only need one partner to pass a new law. The real challenge for them will be to create and maintain these partnerships without causing frustration among the players. And that can happen very fast when you are in a position were you need to swap back and forth in order to make your own agenda move forward. This is indeed going to be the biggest challenge. Working in this type of environment will be dificult, yet critical in order to deliver on the promises. If they fail, I assure you the Liberals will not bi given another chance next time around.

Oh, and the green party didn't do shit. They were hoping to get some a few seats. Better luck next time. In the future, please refrain from doing your little delusional pep talks in restaurants where people are trying to enjoy their evening Mkay?

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2004, 09:54:51 AM »

My whole family voted green. Aaaannd they didn't get anything. Maybe next 4 years...
"Joani loves Chachi!" -Dodgeball

"Here at Globo Gym, we understand that fatness and ugliness are genetic disorders." - Dodgeball

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Canadian Election
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 11:29:50 AM »

That's about the best result I could have expected, all said and done. The NDP will likely take advantage of the minority Liberal gov't, and that's fine by me.

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
Canadian Election
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2004, 03:12:28 PM »

The independant is Green I think.

While watching the CBC coverage they read off some comments that people had emailed in. One of them said they were glad of the minority government because some of the most important things in Canadian politics had been accomplished by minority governments.
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2004, 09:36:42 AM »

Naw, Independant is something different. Green got 0 seats. I think the independant was the one somewhere in Surrey, B.C. Pretty random.

"Here at Globo Gym, we understand that fatness and ugliness are genetic disorders." - Dodgeball

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 09:38:49 AM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Quote from: Vegetarian
Ya, they want the whole country to be all french.

That's not true. They just want to be their own country because they feel they are getting screwed by Ottawa big time. Language has nothing to do with it. But they use the langauge as an excuse. They say they are different. They say they are a nation. There' not different. They're not a nation. We're all getting screwed equally by Ottawa. We're all canadians and that's that. They think they can do better on their own. They may be right. But I don't fell this justifies the existence of a party that will ignore the rest of the country and not look at the big picture. That's racism.

Even France doesn't like Quebec. I hate the french in general. I don't hate every french person, but general Quebec citizens piss me off. :x

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Canadian Election
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2004, 09:42:13 AM »

...I hate the french in general. I don't hate every french person...

Is there a rationale behind that?
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Anonymous

Canadian Election
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2004, 10:10:57 AM »

Teenager perceptions.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Canadian Election
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 11:04:39 AM »

I'm from Quebec.

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 11:05:04 AM »

Quote from: Law
...I hate the french in general. I don't hate every french person...

Is there a rationale behind that?

God Quebec is horrible. You go in the right parts of Quebec and they HATE you for not speaking french. You can't even drive around since it's all in french. There isn't english ANYWHERE 'cause they think they're so special. Then they complain that there isn't enough french in the rest of the country. Well, put some damn english in your province 'cause we've got more french than you have english. For * sake...

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »

That's not a rationale; that's a rant against Quebec. What's that have to do with the French in general?

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2004, 11:07:48 AM »

The Quebec french.

Anonymous

Canadian Election
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2004, 11:10:21 AM »

God Quebec is horrible. You go in the right parts of Quebec and they HATE you for not speaking french. You can't even drive around since it's all in french. There isn't english ANYWHERE 'cause they think they're so special. Then they complain that there isn't enough french in the rest of the country. Well, put some damn english in your province 'cause we've got more french than you have english. For * sake...

This mentality is the reason why COR party, Canadian alliance, and now the PC exist. And it's because of people like lacerda and me that they never win.

First, a lot of what you say is true. The signs are mostly french, a lot of them don't even understand english. But when you go over there, you have to addapt to them, not the other way around.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Canadian Election
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2004, 11:10:48 AM »

God everywhere else is horrible. You go in the right parts of anywhere and they HATE you for not speaking English. You can't even drive around since it's all in English. There isn't French ANYWHERE 'cause they think they're so special. Then they complain that there isn't enough English in the rest of the country. Well, put some damn French in your everywhere 'cause we've got the hope that we might understand what's going on. For * sake...

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2004, 11:11:52 AM »

First, a lot of what you say is true. The signs are mostly french, a lot of them don't even understand english. But when you go over there, you have to addapt to them, not the other way around.

When in Rome, etc.

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2004, 11:13:18 AM »

I think the country should be both french and english. We are supposed to be bilingual, that doesn't just mean having french but also having english. I think we should have english/french everywhere and not just english/french and then-BAM!-all french in one province. Sure, they're a french province, but why can't they have translations on the highway signs?!

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2004, 11:14:54 AM »

Quote from: catwritr

When in Rome, etc.

People from other parts of Italy understand Rome.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2004, 11:16:24 AM »

Anonymous

Canadian Election
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 11:16:58 AM »

I think the country should be both french and english. We are supposed to be bilingual, that doesn't just mean having french but also having english. I think we should have english/french everywhere and not just english/french and then-BAM!-all french in one province. Sure, they're a french province, but why can't they have translations on the highway signs?!

In principle, that is great. In practice, it's not realistic. New Brunswick for example is official a bilingual province. This means that you are entitled to be served in the language of your choice, english or french. Signs are for the majority in both official language.

It's be great to have the same thing in Quebec. But I don't see this happening in Ontario for example. Municipalities need to determine the official language in their area. I don't think we'll see every sign in Toronto being translated to French anytime soon. It's not reasonable and it's costly.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Canadian Election
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2004, 11:19:40 AM »

Why can't we all just adopt Esperanto?

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2004, 11:19:50 AM »

Quote from: Lacerda
I'm from Quebec.

I HATE YOU!

Only on alternate days ending in x.

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2004, 11:22:04 AM »

I understand. It's just very that it's very overwhelming in Quebec and the french don't like me there. There's some pet peeves I have, like George Bush. Some people I just don't like...

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2004, 11:24:56 AM »

It's be great to have the same thing in Quebec. But I don't see this happening in Ontario for example. Municipalities need to determine the official language in their area. I don't think we'll see every sign in Toronto being translated to French anytime soon. It's not reasonable and it's costly.

In the part of Nova Scotia I'm in about 20% of the people speak Acadian French as their primary language. And there a lot of signs in both languages. It makes sense here.

You go further away from Yarmouth and the French signs stop pretty quickly though.

Vegetarian

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Canadian Election
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2004, 11:26:33 AM »

In principle, that is great. In practice, it's not realistic. New Brunswick for example is official a bilingual province. This means that you are entitled to be served in the language of your choice, english or french. Signs are for the majority in both official language.

I'm upset that they didn't do the signs right in the first place.

Anonymous

Canadian Election
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2004, 11:26:41 AM »

Don't forget that it's overwelming for them when they go where you live. It's a two way street.

I think the resonable approch is to recognise that when you're not home, you need to addapt to the environement you are in.

If you tarveled to Bangladesh and no one spoke english, is that a valid reason to hate them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3