The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 04:24:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread  (Read 934775 times)

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
Re: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread
« Reply #5225 on: August 27, 2010, 08:12:38 AM »

Cant be any worse for you than Chinese titties.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100823/twl-giant-baby-is-weight-of-a-six-year-o-3fd0ae9.html

oh my god attack of the 50 FOOT BABY! AAAAAAUUUGH!
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

12AX7

« Reply #5226 on: August 27, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »

My latest project:   AR-style .308 rifle

My two lower receivers

12AX7

« Reply #5227 on: September 02, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »

. . . and a few more days along, I have it completed and am waiting on the upper/barrel assembly. It's a .308 A2-style flat-top upper, and a 24" bull barrel.

It shipped yesterday.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNJtDQgGzQ

12AX7

Clear_Runway

• View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: September 02, 2010, 01:24:52 PM »

thats quite a setup you have there.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

12AX7

« Reply #5230 on: September 03, 2010, 01:06:47 AM »

thats quite a setup you have there.

The gun? Or the studio? Either way; "Thanks!" :-)

12AX7

« Reply #5231 on: September 03, 2010, 01:57:38 AM »

. . . and a few more days along, I have it completed and am waiting on the upper/barrel assembly. It's a .308 A2-style flat-top upper, and a 24" bull barrel.

It shipped yesterday.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNJtDQgGzQ

Got confirmation today about my weapons manufacturing hobby and my legal standing. Also got
reprimanded for firing my guns on my property (it's not big enough (1 acre); and too close to the road in front of the house. I'm in back, on the other side, but I'm still straight-line distance of less than 50 yards; which is the legal minimum).

I went out earlier and fired off 30 rounds with the AR-15 and 14 rounds with the Glock .45. Apparently one of my neighbors called the sheriff's department to complain. A deputy came out to my house and asked if I had been shooting. I told him yessiree. He wanted to see where I had been shooting; so I led him around back and showed him my spot, and the "range" and my target board. In reality it IS safe; but where I was standing was illegal. Also he had a 'mission' to get me to not shoot here anymore (since there had been complaints). So he told it was not a suitable place, etc. Ok. No problem. I've no issues with that; no more shooting here. Then he asked to see my guns. That's when I got a little bit nervous; but I said "Sure, absolutely." We went back up to the front door as the back door (right there where we were) was locked. I proceeded inside and headed down the stairs to the basement to retrieve the guns. I heard him ask if I minded if he stepped on in. I said nothing and continued down the stairs; pretending I just didn't hear him. In the basement I unloaded and cleared the guns, and headed back upstairs. He hadn't come through the door, and was still waiting outside. I felt a sense of relief. For those of you who dont catch that; he wasnt invited nor ok'ed to enter my home. He could have easily done so while I was downstairs, and thus a. had access now to my entire home; and b. Violated my rights.  He did neither; nor appeared to try and intimidate me. It seemed as if I was dealing with a decent law enforcement officer. Thank GOD.

The first thing he said was to ask who did the nice work on my hand grips on the Glock. I told him it had come that way; my brother had given it to me for my birthday+Christmas about 4 or 5 years ago. He got the serial number, etc. then turned to the rifle. I told him I had made it; and opened it up. "Whatta you mean, you made it?? Where's the serial number?" It doesn't have one; I'm not an official Manufacturer. "You HAVE to have a serial number... you can't just build these yourself..."

Uh oh. Here we go.

"I'm going to have to confiscate this one. And I'm gonna have to call BATF too."

Crap. Ok. Whatever you gotta do.

"I bought the receiver as a blank, and everything I researched has led me-  "

"Yeh, but then you've made it an operating firearm. This is a functional firearm. You can't just build these; it has to have a serial number blah bla blah blah blah....."

"Ok. I just thought I was in the right."

He takes the weapons and wants me to come outside with him while he calls stuff in and does his thing. So I sit on the tailgate where he can see me and he goes through a lot of rigamarole with the rifle and his cell phone. I'm getting a B A D feeling thinking he's taking time waiting on everyone else to get here... more officers, a warrant, dogs, etc. I was starting to realize I was just about to go to jail - this time for real; and for keeps.

I look up and he's heading towards me - with BOTH my guns in hand.

"Just got off the phone with the ATF guy; and you're in the right. I'm returning your weapons to you. He says as long as you're not manufacturing fully auto; or for sale or distribution; you can make your own.
  Now, there's still the firing thing. I could take you to jail for that. I'm not; but you need to find somewhere else. You can't be shooting here anymore."

"No problem. Understand perfectly."

"So... where'd you get your skillz on building that lower? Looks pretty good. Nice."

"Ah, lol I've just always been mechanically inclined and have always looked at things and thought "Hmm...  I could build that myself..."

The last part of my sentence "i could build that myself" he said in unison with me as he started laughing.

Then he told me about the firearms class he teaches and we talked a few more minutes and he left. That's it.

I'm just sitting here now wondering when SWAT's gonna kick down my door. He coulda been an actually decent officer and today was all there was to it; then again, he could've gone back and started getting things together to raid a suspected illegal weapons manufacturing hideout.

It's not like they let you know the real truth about those things.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:01:05 PM by 12AX7 »

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: September 03, 2010, 06:32:14 AM »

You always get yourself into the craziest shit.  Glad everything is ok...for now.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

12AX7

« Reply #5233 on: September 03, 2010, 06:57:03 AM »

You always get yourself into the craziest shit.  Glad everything is ok...for now.
  :-D

I was certain I was perfectly legal, but I wasn't going to argue with him. I was just glad ( and surprised ) that he went to actually check, returned everything to me, and verified that he was incorrect; I was in the right. I expected to be arrested, jailed, charged with felonies, and my guns taken away - only to have it thrown out in court. That seems to be the Operating Method of Choice in my experience. I'm glad he didn't go that route. He was a decent fellow; treated me respectfully and didn't try to intimidate me or run over me.

Of course; they certainly know who I am now. That's not really a good thing for any reason.  :|

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: September 03, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »

PHEW!

That must've been a scary few minutes!

I avoid such excitement in my life by sticking to hobbies like stamp collecting.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #5235 on: September 03, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »

:-D

I was certain I was perfectly legal, but I wasn't going to argue with him. I was just glad ( and surprised ) that he went to actually check, returned everything to me, and verified that he was incorrect; I was in the right. I expected to be arrested, jailed, charged with felonies, and my guns taken away - only to have it thrown out in court. That seems to be the Operating Method of Choice in my experience. I'm glad he didn't go that route. He was a decent fellow; treated me respectfully and didn't try to intimidate me or run over me.

Of course; they certainly know who I am now. That's not really a good thing for any reason.  :|

Well...
They also know you know what you're doing.  They know you're respectful.  They know you did your homework with respect to the law.  They know when they came knocking, you were not a dick.  In other words, it sounds like they're pretty sure you're not a dick and not a threat.  And you're something of a known quantity to them.  Will they be watching?  Who knows?  But my hunch is that it won't come back to bite you in the ass.  On the contrary, this could play out to your benefit.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: September 03, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »

He was a decent fellow

You lucky son of a gun.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

12AX7

« Reply #5237 on: September 04, 2010, 12:20:25 AM »

PHEW!

I avoid such excitement in my life by sticking to hobbies like stamp collecting.

Dude; you have no idea. Maybe you do. Regardless; YES. It was not so bad at first; like I said, he was respectful and treated me decently. That's not enough to win me back over in light of my total experiences, but it makes a damn big difference.

As I sat there, though, suspicions began to creep in.

"This dude is same as the rest; he just plays "Buddy" fairly well... ah crap I bet we're waiting on backup and a warrant. F   U    C   K ." Is this "it"? Is this where I have already lost everything I know and love and just don't know it yet? Is this when I should RUN? Wait. I can't run. I'm half-crippled. Well, about 1/8 or a 1/16 crippled. Does that mean I have to 'jump him' now; before everyone gets here? He's twice my size, and it AIN'T fat. Why should I do anything; I'm legal...  but you KNOW it doesn't necessarily go down like that. "Legal" doesn't apply until you get to court. You are about to get an ass whipping, and hauled to jail; your house is wide open, there's no one to call, no one to feed the animals, no one to turn off the air conditioner (it's funny all the things that you suddenly remember when faced with having to leave your home immediately without being able to go back in at all). And there's a really big chance you'll never see it all again. If, for whatever reason, you're denied bail, or can't come up with it, or they never let you have the call, or they dont / wont give you any numbers or phone books, or bail bondsmen's numbers, or if they are going to 'turn on the phone in a minute" and then just never do... you're in a cell; what can you do? Nothing.  And I know personally that this crap happens ALL THE TIME. In any case; take a good look around you as you may never see this home again. By the time you get out it'll have been foreclosed, and with no employment and now a police record, well...

So, yeh man. It was horrifyingly scary. It still is, sort of; not being able to trust them that he didn't go back and start making plans for a raid.

Well...
They also know you know what you're doing.  They know you're respectful.  They know you did your homework with respect to the law.  They know when they came knocking, you were not a dick.  In other words, it sounds like they're pretty sure you're not a dick and not a threat.  And you're something of a known quantity to them.  Will they be watching?  Who knows?  But my hunch is that it won't come back to bite you in the ass.  On the contrary, this could play out to your benefit.

I sure hope so. In my earlier days, I could've believed that easily. Now, I just can't. I certainly hope it's the way you describe; but previous experience won't let me drop my guard that easily. Not for a few weeks, anyway; when it will be "too late" for any sort of raid. I'll breathe then.

You lucky son of a gun.

I know, right. About time.

. . . wait. Wouldn't being lucky entail no one calling the sheriff to start with?

Arnox

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +24/-61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: September 04, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »

Well, on a lighter note, I got Unreal Championship 2 and it's awesome.
A living being above all else seeks to discharge it's strength. Life itself is will to power. Nothing else matters.
- The Jackal

12AX7

« Reply #5239 on: September 04, 2010, 01:21:09 PM »

12AX7

« Reply #5240 on: September 06, 2010, 08:02:04 AM »

w t f...

Is this the new fad?

Acid in the face

Hey, happened to me, too...

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #5241 on: September 06, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »

Gay Scientists Isolate Christian Gene

You could switch around the word Gay and Christian and form a more probable sentence.

// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #5242 on: September 06, 2010, 07:40:21 PM »

PHEW!

FULLY AUTOMATIC stamp collecting?

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: September 08, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »

You could switch around the word Gay and Christian and form a more probable sentence.

LEAVE GENE ALONE!
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: September 08, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »

So I have this theory about the whole Pastor that wants to burn the Islamic holy book on the 11th:

"I don't like the idea of that community center\house of worship that the Muslims want to build so close to where the WTC was, but looks like they're not budging. What to do? I know! I'll make a big ruckus about how I'm gonna torch a few books. That'll get everybody nice and pissed off. Then, at the last minute, I'll make this grand speech about how in order to 'promote peace and understanding' I'll call the whole thing off since it upset so many people. This will PROVE that we're better people than those damn dirty Muslims!"

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: September 08, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »

Interesting theory. Is it bad that I think the guy hasn't gotten farther than "We's gonna burn they's book!" and will end up going through with it?
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »

Wow, xolly, you seem to have nailed it.  There's a breaking news headline that the pastor says the burning won't take place if the Muslim center is moved.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: September 09, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »

Wow, xolly, you seem to have nailed it.  There's a breaking news headline that the pastor says the burning won't take place if the Muslim center is moved.

Predictable Attention Whore is Predictable. Who knew?  :lol:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: September 10, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »

Almost lost a good friend tonight. Our 32 year old equine family member, Jamie (affectionately Super Jams), came down with colic.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Clear_Runway

• View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: September 10, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »

I don't know anything about horses, but that seems ridiculously old
- RIP Scatman John