The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 01:55:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 230

Author Topic: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread  (Read 934538 times)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Re: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread
« Reply #2025 on: April 13, 2007, 08:12:41 PM »

and a big, fat +1 to you, xolly.  i really did lol
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 14, 2007, 03:14:47 AM »

I honestly do hope that this kinder, gentler Geekery grows on me.

'Cause right now it makes me wanna barf.

A bit friendlier would not hurt Vespertine.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: April 14, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »

A bit friendlier would not hurt Vespertine.
I'm not suggesting that it would hurt.  To me, 'friendlier' has a different connotation that 'kinder, gentler'.  I'll be completely and totally honest, I don't feel like it's acceptable for me to be myself any longer.  Under normal circumstances, I'm snarky and sarcastic from time to time.  I point out flaws in logic.  I point out absurd points of view.  I feel like it is no longer acceptable for me to do that.  I feel like, if I do that with the "wrong" person, I'm going to be getting PMs telling me to cool it.  In essense, it feels like speech around here has been "chilled".  I'm not trying to start an argument, and I'm not really questioning anyone's recent actions, I'm just telling you how I feel.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

milifist

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +36/-1
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #2028 on: April 14, 2007, 12:17:39 PM »

Stupid IRS!  :x

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: April 14, 2007, 01:41:09 PM »

I point out flaws in logic.  I point out absurd points of view.  I feel like it is no longer acceptable for me to do that.
Not at all. Please continue to do so. I won't speak on behalf of anyone but myself here, but I would never send a PM to anyone because they tried to get a valid point across. If anyone gets a PM from me, it will be because of the way they presented the point, what ever the point was, if I felt it was inapropriatly rude or disrespectful, or made personal as opposed to objective.

In essense, it feels like speech around here has been "chilled".  I'm not trying to start an argument, and I'm not really questioning anyone's recent actions, I'm just telling you how I feel.
No arguments need to come from this. In fact, I think it would be a good topic to talk about it. I know there are some frustrations and different opinions about some of my actions, and perhaps the actions of others as well. I still stand by my decisions but certainly do not in no way shape or form want to prevent dialogue from occuring. If anyone has opinions, please do not supress them. Bring them out! You agree or disagree with some of the things that have happen, feel free to speak your mind. Start a thread and feel free to say what ever you want to say. We don't all have to agree, and we probably won't, but at least everyone will know where everyone stands.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:51:37 PM by TheJudge »

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: April 17, 2007, 09:27:21 AM »

Can you vultures at least wait for bodies to grow cold before you start exploiting this to push your shitty political agendas?

"OMG IT'S TEH VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES!"
"I'm a gonna protest this here funeral. This shootin' happened cause God don't like dem fags"
"GUN CONTROL NOW GUN CONTROL!"

And the worst one of all..."This is all George Bush's fault!" (Ping Ping and he was serious.)
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 17, 2007, 09:53:32 AM »

It's those damn christians!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 17, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »

His picture is up on the ABC website. I don't really understand why people do these kinds of things. What did he hope to accomplish? That shooting up everyone would somehow make everything right? All those people's lives wasted and for what? The most prominent theory is that his (ex)girlfriend was messing around with another guy. Big fucking deal. Just dump her and move on, don't start killing everybody you can. I'm actually surprised it was an Asian kid. I thought us white guys cornered the market on school shootings. 
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2033 on: April 17, 2007, 03:53:03 PM »

It's probably just me, but I find it mildly amusing that Microsoft Word's spellchecker doesn't recognize the word "hotfix".    :-)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 18, 2007, 01:03:38 AM »

While cleaning up various inboxes, I found a couple emails from Bane from 2004.  :cry:

12AX7

« Reply #2035 on: April 18, 2007, 01:40:24 AM »

(((((cat)))))

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 18, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »

I'm not suggesting that it would hurt.  To me, 'friendlier' has a different connotation that 'kinder, gentler'.  I'll be completely and totally honest, I don't feel like it's acceptable for me to be myself any longer.  Under normal circumstances, I'm snarky and sarcastic from time to time.  I point out flaws in logic.  I point out absurd points of view.  I feel like it is no longer acceptable for me to do that.  I feel like, if I do that with the "wrong" person, I'm going to be getting PMs telling me to cool it.  In essense, it feels like speech around here has been "chilled".  I'm not trying to start an argument, and I'm not really questioning anyone's recent actions, I'm just telling you how I feel.

Vespertine, I've had to come to terms with some things because I like this place and a lot of the people in it. However, I am endlessly perplexed when otherwise reasonable and intelligent people suffer fools. A forum such as this can be a wonderful gathering place for people who trust and enjoy each other, but I have only a limited amount of time to spend here, and I don't like spending any of it reading useless drivel, offensive crap or ignorant posturings (UDOCIP).

However, no site on the net is immune from at least occassional UDOCIP, and UDOCIP is a subjective judgement. The moderators of this site have been tolerant of UDOCIP to such a degree that I mistook it for either extraordinary lenience or inatentiveness. So I began to take matters into my own hands and light little fires under the feet of people whose presence diminished my own personal OMFGTEHGHEEKRY experience. That was my error. What I did not anticipate was that the levels of UDOCIP that I found intollerable were still within what moderators are willing to allow. Thus, by lighting my fires, I myself became a problem that had to be dealt with, and was duly chastised. My choice then was either to abandon the playground where my friends like to hang out and wallow in solipcistic selfrighteousness, or eat crow and STFU. It is a measure of my respect and affection for certain people here that I chose the latter.

I will only add to this that I will continue to find offensive things offensive. However, my claws have been dulled by what has transpired, and instead of battling assholes head on, I will have to let their shit go unchallenged. I have never used an ignore system, because that constitutes a distortion of reality. I will not live in a fool's paradise. Instead, I will bite my tongue and try not to let the fuckwads ruin it for me.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 18, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »

My choice then was either to abandon the playground where my friends like to hang out and wallow in solipcistic selfrighteousness, or eat crow and STFU. It is a measure of my respect and affection for certain people here that I chose the latter.

Eat crow?  :-)

And I think plenty of people respect/love you too ivan. It would be horrible to see you go. (Love in a perfectly non-homosexual way... always laugh when someone has to add that in.)
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #2038 on: April 18, 2007, 02:07:05 PM »

I can still mock whomever I want though, right guys?

...guys?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #2039 on: April 18, 2007, 02:13:47 PM »

I can still mock whomever I want though, right guys?

...guys?

Which one were you again?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #2040 on: April 18, 2007, 02:15:01 PM »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 18, 2007, 02:15:24 PM »

Doesn't ring a bell.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #2042 on: April 18, 2007, 02:16:43 PM »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 18, 2007, 02:17:51 PM »

That one rings one of those come and get it triangle thingies.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 18, 2007, 02:24:48 PM »

What did you have?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 18, 2007, 02:31:30 PM »

I had the chicken fried steak dinner special.  Pretty cool place.  I loved the pickle slices that they bring to the table to start with.  The rye bread was good, the mashed potatoes were good, the country gravy was alright, the chicken fried steak was pretty good, the dinner vegetables were overcooked, the price unbeatable.  The ambiance was a complete throwback to a time long gone though.  The guy in the next booth over had a rather impressive looking reuben.  All in all a good experience.  Thanks for the suggestion.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 18, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »

Very welcome. The ambience is what it's all about there. I've never had anything like the chicken fried steak -- I always get sandwich-type fare. The pickles are a great touch, and have been a feature since we've been going there, which is over 20 years now.

In the late 80s, we were regulars in the lounge for breakfast. The dining room was always packed with a waiting line, but if you didn't mind eating breakfast in a dark overstuffed booth while crusty old boozers sat at the bar a few feet away drinking their breakfasts, then you could usually just walk in and sit down without a wait and order anything from the menu. We got pretty friendly with the lounge waitress, and one day we told her we were contemplating a trip around Europe, including parts of Germany. She asked us to bring her back an Amon Duul CD. I had never heard of Amon Duul, but when we happened to be passing a Virigin Records store in downtown Munich, we popped in and looked around. We couldn't find anything by that name, so we asked a sales guy whether they carried anything by something called Amon Duul. "Ah," he smiled, "you want the oldies section." We brought back a couple of CDs -- all they had -- of what was actually Amon Duul II, but our friend was nonetheless very pleased. I still have a cassette of those disks -- pretty wild stuff. What was interesting is that our waitress friend was not a music-head, not into any kind of alty stuff... So we were scratching our heads over how in the world she came to be familiar with such (at that time at least) an esoteric German band. Of course, we asked her. Turns out, her ex-boyfriend, who indeed was a music head, listened to Amon Duul LPs a lot, and she grew to like them.

Just goes to show -- music is the most democratic of the arts, and a book's cover means jack.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 18, 2007, 02:58:09 PM »

Great story.  We never lived any place long enough (during our younger years) to be regulars anywhere.  Now that we're old I guess we could, but we never seem to have the time, nor the funds to do something like that.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 18, 2007, 03:02:53 PM »

Yeah, that was back in more carefree and fiscally fluid times. It was a weekly habit. Now we go there -- and all other places -- maybe twice a year.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 18, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »

The moderators of this site have been tolerant of UDOCIP to such a degree that I mistook it for either extraordinary lenience or inatentiveness.
Honestly, I don't think there is a clear concensus or guideline on how lenient moderators need to be. For sure, this is not HN which you were used to. That's where judgement kicks in, and sometimes bad calls can be made. It happens.

Instead, I will bite my tongue and try not to let the fuckwads ruin it for me.
May I suggest that instead of lighting fires, or bottling up frustrations, that perhaps sending a pm to a moderator to express your concerns would probably be the best thing to do for everyone? That's what we are here for.

I get the sense from V's previous post, and from what you just posted, that part of you feels like you can't speak your mind anymore. And perhaps others feel the same way, I don't know. What I do know is that this is really not the case. When anything at all bothers you and it appears as though no one is reacting or doing anything, just talk to one of the mods.

I think everyone's goal here is the same. We wan't to make this place fun for everyone. For a lot of us, it's our intraweb home and we want to protect it. But we're a big family, and that means differences in opinions and approaches. The only way to make things as pleasant as possible is trough communication. So please, don't hold your tongue when something troubles you. I don't think that will be beneficial in the long run.  :-)
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 230