The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 07:44:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread  (Read 934624 times)

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
Re: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread
« Reply #2975 on: March 19, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »

http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html
Hey, guys, let's regulate the internet!

On another random note, I've just realized I cannot function all too well with about three hours of sleep. I'm definitely not a morning person.
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

violet34

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +18/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: March 19, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »

o.o
hmm.
I like the 90's. and a lot of other times before this one. if you criticize me for liking the 90's then I'll cast a spell on you. so don't..
my tea is gone! *becomes invisible*

12AX7

« Reply #2977 on: March 19, 2008, 10:49:34 PM »

o.o
hmm.
I like the 90's. and a lot of other times before this one. if you criticize me for liking the 90's then I'll cast a spell on you. so don't..
Weird Tingly Feeling?

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: March 19, 2008, 11:25:07 PM »

o.o
hmm.
I put on my robe and wizard hat. I cast Lvl. 3 Eroticism. You turn into a real beautiful woman.
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

12AX7

« Reply #2979 on: March 20, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »

Humans to admire

From: http://www.utexas.edu/courses/wilson/ant304/projects/projects98/krochenskip/krochenskip.html

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is just one part of a communal kill site complex.  The buffalo would graze in the basins above the cliffs where the young men would disguise themselves under wolf and buffalo calf skins to lure and then push the herd into narrow drive lanes marked by stone cairns (heaps of stones), some of which are still evident.  Along the way hunters hidden behind brush piles would jump up and wave buffalo robes to keep the animals going on course.  There was a visual deception that made the land above and below the cliff appear unbroken; the buffalo, usually galloping at full speed, were unable to stop or veer away once they saw the cliff.  After the drive hunters used spears to finish off the buffalo as the 10 meter fall didn't always immediately kill the animals (Corbett 1997).  The carcasses were then dragged to the nearby campsite for butchering and skinning, a task shared by the hunters.  The meat was divided accordingly to the need of each family while special allotments were made for the sick and elderly.  Communal hunts took place in June, July, and August when the buffalo fat and their meat prime.

Out of respect of kinship with the buffalo and the sense of eating their own flesh the Blackfeet describe the hunt as leading the buffalo and calling to them, not driving or chasing them to their death.  It was a good life that sustained itself for thousands of years, but it all ended in less than a century with the arrival of the horse and gun in 1730.

So much for technology (always) = advancement.  :-(

**edit - for clarification of a complete thought
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:33:37 PM by 12AX7 »

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2980 on: March 20, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »

hmmmmmmmm...

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

violet34

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 20, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »

Weird Tingly Feeling?
heh..I made him say Weird Tingly Feeling...o.O
well... I didn't want anyone beating me down for liking the 90's...since I'm sick of people beating me down for things I like in general...
*sighs*
does anyone here like salt and vinegar potato chips?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: March 20, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »

Nothing boosts the ol'self esteem better than hearing "Damn, Xolik, you've got a little python going!"  :-D Guess my working out for the past two months is starting to show.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 20, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »

Humans to admire

From: http://www.utexas.edu/courses/wilson/ant304/projects/projects98/krochenskip/krochenskip.html

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is just one part of a communal kill site complex.  The buffalo would graze in the basins above the cliffs where the young men would disguise themselves under wolf and buffalo calf skins to lure and then push the herd into narrow drive lanes marked by stone cairns (heaps of stones), some of which are still evident.  Along the way hunters hidden behind brush piles would jump up and wave buffalo robes to keep the animals going on course.  There was a visual deception that made the land above and below the cliff appear unbroken; the buffalo, usually galloping at full speed, were unable to stop or veer away once they saw the cliff.  After the drive hunters used spears to finish off the buffalo as the 10 meter fall didn't always immediately kill the animals (Corbett 1997).  The carcasses were then dragged to the nearby campsite for butchering and skinning, a task shared by the hunters.  The meat was divided accordingly to the need of each family while special allotments were made for the sick and elderly.  Communal hunts took place in June, July, and August when the buffalo fat and their meat prime.

Out of respect of kinship with the buffalo and the sense of eating their own flesh the Blackfeet describe the hunt as leading the buffalo and calling to them, not driving or chasing them to their death.  It was a good life that sustained itself for thousands of years, but it all ended in less than a century with the arrival of the horse and gun in 1730.

So much for technology = advancement.  :-(

Usually this stuff makes me go off on a rant for hours, but I'm not feeling it today. Just wanted to point out that the link talks about how the Sundance was banned because of self-mutilation, but it's okay that sects of Christians dance around with venemous snakes.

And they have balls to defend that with separation of church and state... Love that the U.S. is all about freedom of religion, but only if you're a Christian.

Rant finished.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 20, 2008, 06:05:09 PM »

heh..I made him say Weird Tingly Feeling...o.O
well... I didn't want anyone beating me down for liking the 90's...since I'm sick of people beating me down for things I like in general...
*sighs*
does anyone here like salt and vinegar potato chips?

By that reasoning, though, you would have to add a disclaimer every time you admitted to liking something.
Waitress: "Ma'am, do you want mayo on your burger?"
Violet: "YES I LOVE MAYO, DON'T CRITICIZE ME!"

:(

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: March 20, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »

hate mayo.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

pickled kitten

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +108/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: March 20, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »

I went to taco cabana the other night and this sign hurt my brain SO MUCH.

/SARCASM <--- Fixed the problem ;)

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: March 20, 2008, 06:15:21 PM »

When are they open?

... :|
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

12AX7

« Reply #2988 on: March 20, 2008, 06:27:13 PM »

By that reasoning, though, you would have to add a disclaimer every time you admitted to liking something.

lol.  I almost got irate at her post; then I pictured this little tiny kitten that everyone smacks around and purposely scares. Now when you just move, it takes off and hides, terrified.

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: March 20, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »

lol.  I almost got irate at her post; then I pictured this little tiny kitten that everyone smacks around and purposely scares. Now when you just move, it takes off and hides, terrified.
I wasn't trying to scare or smack her. I just didn't really.. get.. her post. Or posts.

On another note, my computer ignorance is finally catching up to me. There's something up with it, and in the span of four days, the problem has only gotten increasingly worse, no matter what I try to do to remedy it.  /cry

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: March 20, 2008, 06:40:38 PM »

only 58 more posts till you can post in the really nerdy technology forum!

and goddammit, 12, shouldn't you be used to the procedure by now? (yahoo)

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: March 20, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »

I would be able to post, but I really wouldn't do much more than lurk. I've always wanted to learn more about computers but never had the means to learn. I didn't even get my own computer until I was, oh, 18 or so.

violet34

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: March 20, 2008, 11:16:28 PM »

yes, of course, I see what you mean  :-)
I was generalizing. I could've worded it better if I wanted to..
haha sorry, but that'd be kind of funny if that really did happen...where I was dramatic about everything constantly saying "OOHH don't criticize me!!!!"
of course I'd never really do that..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:23:49 PM by violet34 »

violet34

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: March 20, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »

I may be small and timid now, constantly getting beaten down...but I might just go on a killing spree one day. all people like me usually do, only I'm not being serious right now...
I just sit at home and draw comics of me killing people who are mean to me with a scythe.

12AX7

« Reply #2994 on: March 20, 2008, 11:30:25 PM »

o  k

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 20, 2008, 11:45:12 PM »

This has nothing to do with anything being discussed, but I'm interested in your responses. I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine, and we got onto the subject of qualities we find desirable in friends. When I mentioned intelligence as one of the higher-ranking qualities, he halted, and told me I was shallow and foolish, that intelligence is fleeting and means nothing in friendship. I reasoned that while what sort of person he/she is is equally as important, without intelligence and some sort of depth, I find it difficult to befriend someone. I don't watch many movies/much television, the music I listen to isn't well liked, the way my mind works is far from common, and my interests are nearly as nerdy as you get. I wouldn't say that someone had to be a nerdy for me to befriend (I'm not a nerd-elitist!) but if there is no depth, then what is there to discuss? How can I be friends with someone as interesting as a rock?

Insight? Opinions? Back massages?

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 21, 2008, 12:03:17 AM »

I may be small and timid now, constantly getting beaten down...but I might just go on a killing spree one day. all people like me usually do, only I'm not being serious right now...
I just sit at home and draw comics of me killing people who are mean to me with a scythe.

Wow.

I'm not even that bad.

This has nothing to do with anything being discussed, but I'm interested in your responses. I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine, and we got onto the subject of qualities we find desirable in friends. When I mentioned intelligence as one of the higher-ranking qualities, he halted, and told me I was shallow and foolish, that intelligence is fleeting and means nothing in friendship. I reasoned that while what sort of person he/she is is equally as important, without intelligence and some sort of depth, I find it difficult to befriend someone. I don't watch many movies/much television, the music I listen to isn't well liked, the way my mind works is far from common, and my interests are nearly as nerdy as you get. I wouldn't say that someone had to be a nerdy for me to befriend (I'm not a nerd-elitist!) but if there is no depth, then what is there to discuss? How can I be friends with someone as interesting as a rock?

Insight? Opinions? Back massages?

I concur. Not to say that I'm not friends with some very interesting rocks, (and pointing out that, that particular simile might be insulting to rocks considering some people), but I certainly prefer the conversation when the person I'm with isn't completely... numb. Then there are the incredibly 'normal' people who just scare the shit out of me. I can't help but ask, "Weren't you paying attention?"

I don't think it's shallow or foolish to want intelligence in your friends, but I should point out. If it's a condition as well as a desire, you might end up with few friends.

Personally, the desire to learn in a person, the only condition I put down. They don't have to be intelligent, but they do have to be willing to open their minds up. Needless, to say, my circle of friends tends to be very small. But I just can't stand the large hoards of brainwashed flesh lumps walking around out there.

... yes, I know that sounded very elitist. I don't care. Just as long as you can come with something more elborate than... "You're mean, you big meanie!"

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: March 21, 2008, 12:10:10 AM »

Wow.

I'm not even that bad.

I concur. Not to say that I'm not friends with some very interesting rocks, (and pointing out that, that particular simile might be insulting to rocks considering some people), but I certainly prefer the conversation when the person I'm with isn't completely... numb. Then there are the incredibly 'normal' people who just scare the shit out of me. I can't help but ask, "Weren't you paying attention?"

I don't think it's shallow or foolish to want intelligence in your friends, but I should point out. If it's a condition as well as a desire, you might end up with few friends.

Personally, the desire to learn in a person, the only condition I put down. They don't have to be intelligent, but they do have to be willing to open their minds up. Needless, to say, my circle of friends tends to be very small. But I just can't stand the large hoards of brainwashed flesh lumps walking around out there.

... yes, I know that sounded very elitist. I don't care. Just as long as you can come with something more elborate than... "You're mean, you big meanie!"
If you're an elitist than I am too, but I agreed with everything you just said. While you don't have to be well educated or intellectually driven, all I ask is that you use your brain. If I wanted to talk with sheep, I would find a petting zoo.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: March 21, 2008, 12:21:02 AM »

Sheep may be more intelligent that you give them credit for...
And besides, the way some people are, they make you want to go find a petting zoo, the conversation there might be brighter.

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: March 21, 2008, 12:29:11 AM »

Sheep may be more intelligent that you give them credit for...
And besides, the way some people are, they make you want to go find a petting zoo, the conversation there might be brighter.

Did you ever read Far From the Madding Crowd? I read when I was about 14, and I remember having a giggling fit when Gabriel's flock of sheep all jumped off the cliff. I remember thinking, "Oh, they're just like people. One jumps off and the others follow suit without realizing it."