The Geek Forum

• May 07, 2024, 11:54:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread  (Read 934506 times)

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
Re: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread
« Reply #3075 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »

I actually am not a fan of Louisiana.  The culture, horrid southern drawls, drunkenness, low morality, and general stupidity here is more than I can tolerate. Don't misunderstand me- you find stupidity wherever you find people... but it just seems more focused here. I just stay selective with my friends, spend spare time on the internet chatting with fun people like you, and I'm set. As long as I lock myself indoors, I can make my own reality. :D
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: March 27, 2008, 09:01:25 PM »

Miss Well Actually Says:

Staying locked inside your own home is not a necessity for facilitating one's own reality. Many philosohpers and psychologists agree, reality is all our mind anyway. If you want to change your reality, change your mind.

:-P

I, personally, have only been to Louisiana for select reasons and to see a select handful of people for a limited amount of time. But, in general, I concur. (Drunkness and low morality aside since I have been and will be in the future guilty of both, the culture is - okay - the food is fantasitic... I can't comment on the language since I don't speak it. Yeah, pretty much it's the stupidity that bothers me. :-D)
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25:35 PM »

i spent my first ten years in the south and miss it terribly.

i've decided that when i finish school- whenever the hell THAT will be- i'm moving back there.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

12AX7

« Reply #3078 on: March 28, 2008, 05:07:16 AM »

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: March 28, 2008, 06:53:12 AM »

I actually am not a fan of Louisiana.

Me either.  I was forced to live there two years.  Moved between my junior and senior years in high school, from a school system I had been in since the first grade.  That took a while for me to get over.

I hated the weather.  It was either so hot and humid it sucked, or in the winter it rained all the time.  Came back to the Bluegrass as soon as I could.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #3080 on: March 28, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »

But Louisiana is the home of throwed rolls. It's the place to pig out.

LuciferSam

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #3081 on: March 28, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »

Concur with chris, I am a big fan of Louisiana.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #3082 on: March 28, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »

Haven't been there.

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 28, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »

i lived in mississippi for four years growing up, and we occasionally found ourselves over in louisiana. i remember enjoying the trips, but don't remember much about them.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: March 28, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »

If you went across I-10 you would remember the bump...bump...bump...badump...bump...bump...bump...badump...bump...bump...bump...badump...bump...bump...bump...badump...
while traveling.   :-D

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: March 28, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »

you know, i do, actually. to this day, i love the bump-bump-bump of certain interstates because it reminds me of my childhood.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: March 28, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »

The causeway on I-10 is still something to see.  I just wish they'd let you stop and look over the barricades.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: March 28, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »

If I ever get married, it's going to be done like this:

http://www.planethellokitty.com/hello-kitty-wedding
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 28, 2008, 11:28:58 PM »

Are you going to be the bride or the groom? 

*runs and hides as quickly as possible*

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: March 29, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »

saw this on a car in the parking lot at school today:

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: March 29, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »

speaking of school, i was all excited because my sociology prof decided to make our test on chapters 5-10 a take-home test (probably because everyone did so poorly on the first one because she hasn't quite grasped the english language and it was damn near impossible to decipher what she was asking..). my friend/co-worker drema, who's in my class, and i were THRILLED because- really- how hard can a take-home, open-book test be? right?

wrong. i got to drema's at 1:30 (after spending a couple hours in the school library researching for a huge research paper due in english..). with the exception of about 45 minutes to eat around 5 or 6, and maybe an hour tops goofing off/chit-chatting, the rest of the time was spent on this test. what time did i leave her house? 10:34 pm. NINE HOURS LATER.

and it was hard as hell. there are still several questions that are unclear. because the prof is so poor at english, it's really difficult to even figure out what she's asking. sigh. i will be emailing her for clarification on some of these questions.

but yes, i'm done. finally. and i still have to compose a working outline for english AND bake cookies tomorrow. doing anything more tonight is completely out of the question. i feel like death.  :x

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: March 30, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »

Yay college! Boo tests.

I have a somewhat similar experience. My english instructor made a large essay due the Monday before spring break here at WSU. Before that week, he made it clear that if we were to ask for an extention (usually an extention is 24 hrs) then we would not have to turn the paper in until the Monday after spring break. This was because he was going out of town Tuesday and would not be able to pick up the papers that had asked for an extention until that Monday after break.

Of course, I did not get the paper done until the Sunday before. Partly because I was in L.A. the entire spring break, and partly because well, I procrastinate.

That Monday I also had to take an oral mid-term from my speech instructor who is from Slovenia. I understand that an oral mid-term may be easier or more appropriate for speech class, but maybe when you cannot speak english that great, a written exam may work a little better. Most of that class was spent asking for a repeat of the question.

Not sure how I did on either the paper or the test, but let's just say I feel your pain.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: March 30, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »

did anyone actually turn the english paper in when it was due? i can't imagine someone not taking advantage of having an extra week to write an essay. craziness.

maybe your speech instructor and my sociology professor should be friends. they both sound.. well.. difficult.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: March 30, 2008, 08:37:08 PM »

Actually there were a few. They possibly already had it somewhat done and didn't want to worry about it over the break which I guess I can understand.

If your sociology professor thinks her class is the most important thing in every one of her student's lives then yes, they would be best friends.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: March 30, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »

If your sociology professor thinks her class is the most important thing in every one of her student's lives then yes, they would be best friends.

actually, that would be my english professor.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #3095 on: March 31, 2008, 01:50:24 AM »

Some professors have the mentality built up that their class is the most important class that you will ever take. They also like to think that their students should not / cannot work while in college because it detracts from their education... Then they go and cry to the board of directors saying they need a raise which makes tuition go up, and thus their students need to come up with the money somehow.

But it's ok, I know they are very over worked and have long 14-hour days like I do.

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: March 31, 2008, 02:16:34 AM »

I just got the most awesome shirt as a gift. Pictures with it on coming soon!

"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: April 01, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »

wow. what a way to go..

Shopper killed by train after 'getting Ugg Boot stuck' in tracks despite desperate attempts to pull her free

By LUCY BALLINGER and CHRISTIAN GYSIN
Last updated at 12:13pm on 29th March 2008

A woman was killed by a train after her Ugg Boot became stuck on a level crossing. The 29-year-old had tried to cross the railway tracks after the barriers came down across the road. But her foot became stuck in the wooden grid which prevents animals from straying on to the line. The women was struck by the train at the Hythe crossing, Colchester. Police gather at the scene where the woman had been trapped.

A man believed to be her boyfriend battled to pull her free.He was helped by Jonathan Smith, a passer-by who had seen them walk on to the track, as the train approached Hythe station, in Colchester, on Thursday. The woman died almost immediately. Her companion was taken to Colchester General Hospital with leg injuries.

Yesterday, the woman's father, who declined to be named, visited the scene, and told onlookers that her boot had become stuck. It is thought she was wearing Ugg Boots - the fashionable sheepskin footwear which has wide, flat soles. Mr Smith, 18, said they had managed to free the woman, known locally as Kelly, before she was hit by the National Express East Anglia service from Liverpool Street to Clacton. The IT student said he saw the pair continue crossing, even though the train was bearing down on them. He said: "I was standing waiting to cross. She got her foot stuck.

"There were four or five people waiting there but they just watched, none of them were helping. No one wanted to get hit by a train. "I didn't think, it was just instinct - it was a young girl's life. I saw the train coming. I just thought, 'I've got to save her', I didn't think about my own life. I went through and saw she had her foot stuck at first and I grabbed her hand and got her foot out. I had her in my arms, she was safe. But her boyfriend screamed at her to get to the other side. I said, 'Stay on this side'. But he said, 'This is my train, I've got to be on this side of the track', and so she tried to cross.

The train was about 25ft away. The train didn't have any chance to stop. "She just curled up in a ball. Her boyfriend jumped out of the way. I tried to help her but I slipped on the wet. It was luck I wasn't hit. I was still holding her hand when the train came.

Jonathan Smith was one of the men who tried to rescue Kelly as the train sped towards her "My friend told me to let go of her hand, otherwise I would lose my arm."

British Transport Police said: "Police can confirm that a woman in her late twenties died at the scene after she attempted to cross the line when the barriers were down and got her foot stuck in the wooden guards of the crossing and became trapped.

"Two men attempted to pull her free from the crossing as the train, which was travelling between 40mph and 50mph, approached." Locals said that the crossing was dangerous and pedestrians often tried to make it across the track before the train arrived. Matt Wilson, who was on the train, said: "There was no warning, the driver slammed on the brakes. Just a minute later you heard the sirens. "It is such a dangerous crossing. People chance it all the time. They just push back the barrier and run over. I've done it before - loads of people do it."

12AX7

« Reply #3098 on: April 01, 2008, 10:02:18 PM »

. . .

she got UNstuck; then tried to cross again?

Yeh, shitty way to go, for sure, but this one reeks of Darwin...

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: April 01, 2008, 11:13:29 PM »

The report says her boot got stuck.

Question:

At what point did she say to herself, "My boot is worth more than my life." I've worn those boots, it's tremendously easy to slip your foot out of them. I'm confused.

And yes, this reeks of the Darwin Award. She got free once, but no, "I'm gonna do it again because I was so lucky the first time!"
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.