The Geek Forum

• May 20, 2024, 08:33:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129645
  • Total Topics: 7192
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I'm a hard core (social) conservative!  (Read 19199 times)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
I'm a hard core (social) conservative!
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2005, 04:25:03 PM »

It sure can exist without support of the populace.

Totalitarianism is a typology employed by political scientists to describe modern regimes in which the state regulates nearly every aspect of public and private behavior. Totalitarian regimes mobilize entire populations in support of the state and a political ideology, and do not tolerate activities by individuals or groups such as labor unions, churches and political parties that are not directed toward the state's goals. They maintain themselves in power by means of secret police, propaganda disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, regulation of free discussion and criticism, and widespread use of terror tactics. Critics of the concept contend that the term lacks explanatory power. They argue that governments which are often classified as totalitarian may not be as monolithic as they appear from the outside, since they may hide a political process in which several groups, such as the army, political leaders, industrialists, and others, compete for power and influence.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2005, 05:03:24 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
It sure can exist without support of the populace.

Totalitarianism is a typology employed by political scientists to describe modern regimes in which the state regulates nearly every aspect of public and private behavior. Totalitarian regimes mobilize entire populations in support of the state and a political ideology, and do not tolerate activities by individuals or groups such as labor unions, churches and political parties that are not directed toward the state's goals. They maintain themselves in power by means of secret police, propaganda disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, regulation of free discussion and criticism, and widespread use of terror tactics. Critics of the concept contend that the term lacks explanatory power. They argue that governments which are often classified as totalitarian may not be as monolithic as they appear from the outside, since they may hide a political process in which several groups, such as the army, political leaders, industrialists, and others, compete for power and influence.

Uh, what part of "mobilize entire populations in support of the state and a political ideology" doesn't mean "with support of the populace"? It's right there! :confused:

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2005, 06:48:43 AM »

I think you're missing my point. In Totalitarianism, the "Mobilize entire populations in support of the state and a political ideology" is done by force, by control, by fear. That is NOT what I was describing earlier. Sure, it's true that Totalitarianism CANNOT exist without the support of the populace, but I wasn't reffering to Totalitarianism in the first place because I wasn't reffering to forced support. I wasn't reffering to the government influencing the beleifs of it's population, but rather of the population influencing the government.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2005, 07:44:02 AM »

Ahh...now I see your last sentence up ^^there^^.

ivan

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2005, 05:01:57 PM »

Good Lord.

Is there a synopsis somewhere, or do I actually have to read all that?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2005, 07:01:51 PM »

Quote from: ivan
Good Lord.

Is there a synopsis somewhere, or do I actually have to read all that?

I'm afraid it's tht latter old chap.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]