The Geek Forum

• May 07, 2024, 11:05:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you believe in God ??  (Read 7689 times)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 08:43:46 AM »

Quote from: reimero
we were created with free will: divine intervention would negate that.

What if the devine intervention was as follows:

*Poof*
HAY GUYZ! IT'S ME GOD! JUST A REMINDER THAT I AM YOUR CREATOR AND THAT YOU GOTZ THE FREE WILL AND STUFF MKAY? SEE U IN IN 4006!
*Poof*

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2005, 08:55:51 AM »

I do believe in a higher power, but I don't think that it's got it's hands in our business as much as religion would have us believe.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

GenStyx

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2005, 10:49:07 AM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Quote from: reimero
we were created with free will: divine intervention would negate that.

What if the devine intervention was as follows:

*Poof*
HAY GUYZ! IT'S ME GOD! JUST A REMINDER THAT I AM YOUR CREATOR AND THAT YOU GOTZ THE FREE WILL AND STUFF MKAY? SEE U IN IN 4006!
*Poof*

Nooooooooo teh Judge!!! You weren't supposed to tell them that the world ends in 4006 when the Lord Almighty tried to hack his girlfriends' hotmail account by asking for advice at the hackernetwork where he got flamed so bad he decided to end all existence, particularly online forums where st00bs who can't type get made fun of so bad that they resort to petty insults in a feeble attempt to make themselves feel somewhat better despite the fact that they are getting flamed and their fake girlfriend is getting head.

*deep breath*

Damnit!
Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like they're women, man!

ivan

Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2005, 10:55:58 AM »

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart? How the music can free her, whenever it starts? And it's magic, if the music is groovy -- it makes you feel happy like an old-time movie. I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul... But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll.

If you believe in magic,  don't bother to choose if it's jug band music or rhythm and blues. Just go and listen:  it'll start with a smile. It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try. Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find how you got there, so just blow your mind.

If you believe in magic, come along with me! We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me. And maybe, if the music is right, I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night, and we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see how the magic's in the music and the music's in me!

ivan

Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2005, 11:09:30 AM »

By the way, when us atheists speak of the conspicuous absense of devine intervention, it's not in association with the "free will" argument, but more in the area of things like weather control. An omnipotent and benevolent being would surely disallow things like earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes and drought, if not disease and suffering.

Wouldn't He?

Anyway, I've had this conversation with respected theists, and there really is no clear answer. It's like asking a scientist what things looked like before the Big Bang. The more primitive answer is that humanity is periodically (actually, quite consistently) punished for sins. The more developed answer is that our faith is being tested. If that's the case, I have failed the test. If we were indeed created in God's image, then I can see where human suffering comes from: God has a mean streak as wide as the Mississipi.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2005, 12:07:50 PM »

Quote from: ivan
By the way, when us atheists speak of the conspicuous absense of devine intervention, it's not in association with the "free will" argument, but more in the area of things like weather control. An omnipotent and benevolent being would surely disallow things like earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes and drought, if not disease and suffering.

Wouldn't He?

Perhaps the consequence of letting humanity overpopulate would lead to self destruction therefore the omnipotent being, let's call him Q, is forced to conjure up these "natural" disasters to enable the survival of mankind?

Belsazar

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2005, 12:17:25 PM »

Satan believes in you.
Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?

Aleister Crowley: Because it was his Will, and therefore the Whole of His Law.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »

Perhaps the consequence of letting humanity overpopulate would lead to self destruction therefore the omnipotent being, let's call him Q, is forced to conjure up these "natural" disasters to enable the survival of mankind?

Natural selection will balance things out, and it keeps my hands blood-free.

GenStyx

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2005, 01:21:19 PM »

Quote from: catwritr

Natural selection will balance things out, and it keeps my hands blood-free.

Hopefully some Uruguayans will be selected...naturally, muahahaha. :twisted:   :wink:
Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like they're women, man!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2005, 01:53:44 PM »

My serious answer is that I'm irreligious.  As far as belief, I don't believe I have beliefs.  If you'd like to pigeon-hole me, agnostic would probably be closest.  I don't have a belief of a god or gods, but because I'm a phenomenologist, I am aware that one can not regress to a point where anything can be proven without presuppositions (postulates, givens, things accepted as being fact based upon nothing but blind acceptance).  Ergo, I have to admit that I just don't know for sure about anything which includes existence of a god or gods.  There are infinite posibilities and no certainty.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2005, 05:21:10 PM »

Quote from: ivan
An omnipotent and benevolent being would surely disallow things like earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes and drought, if not disease and suffering.

This is pretty much the crux of my contention with the Lord.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Do you believe in God ??
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2005, 05:48:50 PM »

And don't forget reality television!

And if there were a benevolent god Pat Robertson would have been struck down long ago.
Pages: 1 [2]