The Geek Forum

• May 17, 2024, 05:27:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129634
  • Total Topics: 7189
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 33713 times)

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2006, 07:48:36 AM »

"Afro-americans"... I don't think you can say that without getting your ass kicked any more.  I don't think I've heard that since the 80s.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2006, 08:36:53 AM »

Let’s put things into context for a minute. Let's just pretend, for the sakes of arguments, that I live in a state and that I am an American. Let's say that on the day following the Bush - Gore election fiasco, I decide that the government has gone too far and has not acted transparently or in the interest of the population it is supposed to represent.

So I call up my gun buddies and we all start training a militia which is comprised of individuals from all over my state, and who all share similar views that the government has gone to far and must be stopped. Let's arm the citizens!

Let's say that a year later, we are fully trained and ready to take action. How would that work exactly? Do 5000 of us just show up at the White House with guns and demand that Bush be removed from power and that Gore be put in? Do we try negotiating? Do we kidnap Gore first, then show up to the white house and waste all "the corrupted traitors", take control of the White House by force and then chuck Gore in the oval office?

How would it work exactly? Honestly, do you think the second amendment serves any practical purpose? Any group who rises against the government claiming they are acting in accordance with the second amendment will be branded as terrorists by the government in power, and they will be treated as such. The government's military will kick any militia's ass. Seriously, can anyone explain to me how it would work?

The second amendment is just there for show. It's completely worthless in practice and anyone who stirs the pot to much under the pretext of the second amendment will end up being treated as a criminal. That's how things work in the real world. Justice and equity for all.  :roll:

ivan

Gun Control
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2006, 11:47:08 AM »

Quote from: BizB
"Afro-americans"... I don't think you can say that without getting your ass kicked any more.  I don't think I've heard that since the 80s.

Afro-americans are americans with afros.

I'm a Mullet-american.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2006, 11:51:55 AM »

Judge, unless you represent your state, you have no right to form a militia.  Your governor, however, would have the right to call all armed citizens into action to defend the state against the tirany of an abusive federal government or even another state govt.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »

OK so lets pretend I was the governor then. I'm calling all armed citizens to fight the oppressive Bush regime (talk about a career limiting move).

So... We just show up and start shooting public servants? No seriously> What is it that we are suppose to do exactly? And then, once we're all under arrest because the US army kicked our asses, are we to expect to be excused because we all beleived that we acted in the spirit of the second ammendment? I don't thikn that's going to work out. So I still don't get how it works, and therefore I maintain its irrelevent until someone can explain to me otherwise.

If it comes the the point where people need to rise against their governement and tip the scale through force, that will only be acheived through civil war, and if it comes to that, you won't care about having it in writing. It won't matter. You'll do what you have to do when the time comes.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »

If it comes the the point where people need to rise against their governement and tip the scale through force, that will only be acheived through civil war, and if it comes to that, you won't care about having it in writing. It won't matter. You'll do what you have to do when the time comes.
But, how is civil war possible with an unarmed population?

If you want to know the purpose of the 2nd, go rent the movie Red Dawn.

Wolverines!

For many years, the 2 oceans on our east/west served as good barriers to invasion.  In today's world, they're little more than an inconvenience.  The belief that every American is packing and has already killed someone is a better deterrent to invasion, today.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2006, 02:41:42 PM »

But, how is civil war possible with an unarmed population?

Axes and pitch forks man!

I understand what the purpose of the ammendment is on paper. It is to enable certain persons with certain authorities within a state to form an militia that could be used to fight an oppressive governments (iether the federal government or the government of another state). That's what you said. I understand. I'm just saying it wouldn't work in practice. I don't think I'll see the day when I turn on the news and get my daily update on the Minnesota/Wisconsin armed conflict. Besides, we all know Catwritr would kick Demo's ass.

*runs*

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Gun Control
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2006, 02:43:14 PM »

...The belief that every American is packing and has already killed someone is a better deterrent to invasion, today.

I'm packing and have killed many.  Get off of my grass.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »

While on the topic of gun control, this page has interesting numbers. Draw your own conclusions of course. These are just figures.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2006, 03:56:25 PM »

Fact: Gun laws only affect the law abiding.

The day you can guarantee that the bad guy I encounter won't be packing is the day I'll change my view.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2006, 04:29:16 PM »

That is not a fact. I'll make a parallel with tabacco smuggling. When I was in highschool, the government decided to go crazzy with tabacoe tax rates. The result was that a pack of smokes went from $.50 to $8.00 in a very short period of time, and for a student with no money, well that's about enough to call in the militia! hehe.

So what happened then? Smuggling from the states just took off. It was always there before, but not as widespread, as beneficial or as accessible. This increase in tax made me deal with illicit sources for tabacoe because let's face it, $4.00 for US smuggled cigarettes was better than $8.00 for the exact same product after to government interfered. So at this point, I'm not a law abiding citizen right? So based on your statement, changes in regulations on the tabacoe products wouldn't affect me.

Well, after a while, the governemnt noted the suden increase in smuggling and prices were dropped again and went down to about $5.00. It was still higher than the inital $4.50, but at least it was more resonable and most people like me who dealth with smugglers started to go back to the canadian stores to get our products. Smuggling went down because there was just not enough money in it to warrant the risk. And if I wanted to keep dealing with them, they were getting a lot harder to come by.

The morale: Government actions, wheter through legislation, taxation or policy, can have an influence on anyone living in the country, and even beyond it's borders.

As a side note, I found it interesting that since 9/11 which resulted in massive security increase at the borders, the canadian government took advantage of the situation and taxed the hell out of the tabacoe products. I think a pack runs around $10 now.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2006, 05:36:45 PM »

The gun argument starts where you picked up smoking.  At first you were a law abiding smoker (assuming you were of age.)  Then, government put restrictions (they restricted the availablility of cheap legal cigs) in place.  This cuased you to take criminal actions to support your habit.

Now, if they were to give away free guns to anyone who wanted them instead of restricting access, you would reduce the number of criminals because at present it is illegal for a convicted felon to own a firearm.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »

The gun argument starts where you picked up smoking.  At first you were a law abiding smoker (assuming you were of age.)  Then, government put restrictions (they restricted the availablility of cheap legal cigs) in place.  This cuased you to take criminal actions to support your habit.

Are you saying guns have some addictive substance in them like cigarettes do?  :?

I get what you're saying, but I don't think cigs were a great example. Let's say chewing gum instead.  :lol:
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2006, 06:57:09 PM »

I say that guns are addictive.

ivan

Gun Control
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2006, 07:01:18 PM »

I'm staying the hell away from guns, with my addictive personallity. Sure, it might start out as an occassional social shootout, maybe a couple of shotgun rounds over brandy, but before you know it, I'll be toting Uzis and AK-47s, chain-strafing like a maniac.

It was hard enough quitting smoking.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2006, 09:11:18 PM »

Don't be a nanzy panzy.

Denny Crane.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2006, 12:19:34 AM »

Quote from: TheJudge

That is not a fact. I'll make a parallel with tabacco smuggling. When I was in highschool, the government decided to go crazzy with tabacoe tax rates. The result was that a pack of smokes went from $.50 to $8.00 in a very short period of time, and for a student with no money, well that's about enough to call in the militia! hehe.

So what happened then? Smuggling from the states just took off. It was always there before, but not as widespread, as beneficial or as accessible. This increase in tax made me deal with illicit sources for tabacoe because let's face it, $4.00 for US smuggled cigarettes was better than $8.00 for the exact same product after to government interfered. So at this point, I'm not a law abiding citizen right? So based on your statement, changes in regulations on the tabacoe products wouldn't affect me.

Well, after a while, the governemnt noted the suden increase in smuggling and prices were dropped again and went down to about $5.00. It was still higher than the inital $4.50, but at least it was more resonable and most people like me who dealth with smugglers started to go back to the canadian stores to get our products. Smuggling went down because there was just not enough money in it to warrant the risk. And if I wanted to keep dealing with them, they were getting a lot harder to come by.

The morale: Government actions, wheter through legislation, taxation or policy, can have an influence on anyone living in the country, and even beyond it's borders.

As a side note, I found it interesting that since 9/11 which resulted in massive security increase at the borders, the canadian government took advantage of the situation and taxed the hell out of the tabacoe products. I think a pack runs around $10 now.

Judge, I think Biz was trying to say that laws pertaining to gun purchases and ownership (e.g. background check, waiting period, etc.) only have an effect on people who are purchasing or owning guns legally.  The crackhead that breaks into someone's house isn't going to wait 3 days and then go back for the gun, but me walking into a store will have to wait 3 days (and clear a background check) before I can complete the purchase.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

12AX7

Gun Control
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2006, 04:59:14 AM »

Quote from: Vespertine

Judge, I think Biz was trying to say that laws pertaining to gun purchases and ownership (e.g. background check, waiting period, etc.) only have an effect on people who are purchasing or owning guns legally.  The crackhead that breaks into someone's house isn't going to wait 3 days and then go back for the gun, but me walking into a store will have to wait 3 days (and clear a background check) before I can complete the purchase.

Precisely. No properly disrespectful Criminal would dare use his own, legally registered firearm in the commission of a crime; that would endanger his concealed-carry permit.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2006, 07:52:50 AM »

Quote from: Vespertine

Quote from: 12AX7
Precisely. No properly disrespectful Criminal would dare use his own, legally registered firearm in the commission of a crime; that would endanger his concealed-carry permit.

If both your statements above are true, then how can the statement below be true?

Now, if they were to give away free guns to anyone who wanted them instead of restricting access, you would reduce the number of criminals because at present it is illegal for a convicted felon to own a firearm.

Sure, give free guns to everyone and there would be zero criminals at the time the guns are freely given to everyone, but then it's just a matter of time for crime rate to go up. And in fact, it will even be easier for crack heads because now, there's at least one gun in every home. The reality is that the more accessible the guns are, there is a higher chance of someone being hurt by them regardless of the intent (homicide, suicide, accident, etc). Imagine if the government legalized pot. You could go to any corner store and get your pot. You could grow your own if you wanted to. Don't you think that overall, something that becomes visible, accessible and normalized will also end up being used by more people? I think that's the fundamental problem with guns and the American culture. They have been normalized and we clearly see the results of such a culture when we look at actual stats of gun related deaths and injuries.

Now for the record, when I'm thinking gun laws, I'm not necessarily thinking gun registration. I think there are other more efficient ways to address the problem. In fact, the Canadian government announced yesterday that they are scrapping our program. Finally!

Gun laws I support relate to the type of guns individuals can own, and the handling of these guns. If you want to shoot a fully automatic gun, then join the army. If you want to have a hand gun, I think the army uses those too. "But what about the collectors Judge?" Screw them I say. Collect stamps instead. If certain guns are made illegal, then you'll have to collect something else. I'd love to collect people's fingers but I can't do so legitimately. It's the same idea. It doesn't matter if I'm going to be responsible about it and just cut off fingers of people who are already dead, and keep everything in a nice display case with tiny lights and mirrors, locked and away from children. I still can't do it and no one's complaining about it.

Gun available on the market should be limited to hunting type of weapons like a 12 gauge or certain riffles. Why those? Aren't they capable of killing someone, just like a hand gun or a machine gun? Yes they can, but unlike an automatic, you have limited shots before you need to reload. If you decided to go crazy and kill people, well at least you won't have the opportunity to shoot 20 of them in just seconds. Secondly, the guns that I would allow on the market are not as easy to conceal as handguns. They are not as portable. Additionally, anyone who owns a gun should be required by law to store it properly and that means having a trigger lock on the gun, and having the gun stored in a gun safe and having the safe locked.

I also don't think everyone is entitled to own guns. I compare it to driving. It's a privilege, not a right. If you abuse the privilege, than it can be taken away from you temporarily or permanently. I think gun safety courses should be mandatory because there is no such thing as too much education.

I think these kinds of measures would benefit society overall and that there would be less deaths caused by guns under this environment vs. a place where anyone can have any gun and where there are zero gun laws. I'm not saying it is a fool proof system and I'm not stupid to the point that I think these measures would prevent anyone from accessing a gun with the intent of harming someone else. It's still possible. But I prefer to make it more difficult for them if I can help it. A lot of people are impulsive and some act without thinking. If you have measures in place that prevent them from walking into a store and start shooting people on the street 2 minutes later, if you can increase the delay between the moment they decide to do something impulsive and the moment they actually get the opportunity to act, some of them will manage to calm down and change their minds. Measures such as these can prevent someone from being hurt and in my book, that's a good thing.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Gun Control
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2006, 10:51:12 AM »

Some guy is mowing the lawn outside of my window and I wish I had a gun RIGHT NOW.

Stupid building employees keeping up stupid appearances.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »

I love the term brandishing a weapon.  It has a nice ring to it.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Gun Control
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2006, 09:49:16 PM »

Quote from: pbsaurus
I love the term brandishing a weapon.  It has a nice ring to it.

"Brandish that raspberry!"

ivan

Gun Control
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2006, 04:02:52 PM »

While on the topic of gun control, this page has interesting numbers. Draw your own conclusions of course. These are just figures.

Quote from: TheSite
FACT:In 2003 (the most recent year for which data is available), there were 30,136 gun deaths in the U.S:

* 16,907 suicides (56% of all U.S gun deaths),
    * 11,920 homicides (40% of all U.S gun deaths),
    * 730 unintentional shootings (2% of all U.S gun deaths),
    * 347 from legal intervention and 232 from undetermined intent (2% of all U.S gun deaths combined).

-Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2006.

Quote from: Truth.com
-In the U.S., about 440,000 people die a tobacco-related death every year.

-Cigarettes and other smoking materials are the number one cause of fire deaths in the U.S.

-Every year, cigarettes leave about 12,000 kids motherless.

-In the U.S., about 50,000 people die each year from secondhand-smoke-related disease.

-Today, in the U.S., tobacco products will kill about 1,200 people.

In 2004 there were 38,253 fatal car crashes.

In 2003, there were 3,306 unintentional fatal drownings in the United States, averaging nine people per day. This figure does not include drownings in boating-related incidents (CDC 2005).

Children: In 2003, 782 children ages 0 to 14 years died from drowning (CDC 2005). Although drowning rates have slowly declined (Branche 1999), drowning remains the second-leading cause of injury-related death for children ages 1 to 14 years (CDC 2005).

For every child 14 years and younger who dies from drowning, five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries. More than half of these children require hospitalization (CDC 2005). Nonfatal drownings can cause brain damage that result in long-term disabilities ranging from memory problems and learning disabilities to the permanent loss of basic functioning (i.e., permanent vegetative state).

Just some statistics. Draw your own conclusions of course.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2006, 05:28:02 PM »

I guess perhaps I am from a different era.  No I am sure of it.

Where I grew up was a small town in Kentucky.  The doors to the house were never locked, day or night.  There were always several guns in the house.  All were loaded.  All were accessible.  I once heard that an empty gun kills.  My father was of the mind that if all were loaded then nobody was going to get killed, for the simple fact if it was loaded you didn't mess with it.  Unless it was necessary to kill something.

In fact I don't believe anyone that I knew ever locked their doors way back then.  But nobody was ever robbed.  Nobody was ever killed.  Nobody was ever held for ransom.  And as far as I can remember nobody ever shot anybody.

$.02

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6