The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 07:32:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Superman  (Read 11006 times)

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Superman
« on: June 28, 2006, 06:05:22 PM »

I live under a rock and so I just found out that Kevin Spacey plays Lex Luthor in the new Superman movie.  Now I wanna PeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I can't wait to see this movie!!  But it probably won't be for a while since we're busy planning "the biggest, most spectacular fireworks show in the Richmond area" (BTW, its gonna rain and we don't have rain insurance), but also because I hear you have to see the first one to get it.  My person is a little boy who was  born a few years after the first one came out.  So we have to rent that first.

AND THAT ALSO MAKES ME WANNA PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christopher Reeve as Supe.  Love it.

Hot

Superman

ACTION!!!
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Re: Superman
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 06:11:46 PM »

I probably won't even bother.  Hate sequels and remakes.

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »

Why?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 06:14:44 PM »

I, too, wanna peeeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeee, but for entirely different reasons.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »

Why?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 06:16:43 PM »

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:40 PM »

Disagree

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:54 PM »

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 06:20:02 PM »

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 06:20:30 PM »

stupid

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 06:20:43 PM »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 11:22:18 AM »

IFOUNDWALDO176

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +32/-57
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 09:30:03 PM »

I went to see Superman Returns today, it was a good movie, but it would probably be something that (if it were out on VHS or DVD) I would rent rather than own. Then again, this is just my opinion on the subject, so take it for what its worth.
"OB draws his Flaming Sword of Dumbass-Slaying +3 and strikes a heroic pose." -Odd Bloke
"Anyone goes near my wallpaper and I go all Aaron Burr on their asses." -Detta
"Administrator is god.  But not on a Windows box." Demo

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 08:02:44 AM »

I saw it last night and all I can say is this: Now I know what a woman feels like when she has multiple and simultanious orgasims.

There are some aspects of the movie I didn't like, but they were minor in the end. There's a couple of inconsistencies but I guess there always were in all SM movies. Every movie has flaws. Over all, it was fun to watch, the story was good, and they left a lot of doors open for future movies.

Making this movie a success was not an easy task because Superman is big shoes to fill, but they were able to make good linkages with the 1st two movies, and did a good job representing the original characters. Kevin Spacey was awsome! The only thing with this character is that they didn't make him narcistic enough. After all, Lex Luther is supposed to be the self proclaimed greatest criminal mind of our time! But he didn't say it.  :x

As far as Brandon what's his face ( the guy who plays superman), when he opened his mouth the first time and said his first few lines, I thought to myself "uh oh... This guy is going to suck" but I was wrong. He did a good job. I just needed 5 minutes to get used to him.

Now, I have a question about timelines. I'll use small text because of spoiler content.

In the original Superman movie, when his parents send him to earth in the tinfoil snowflake craft, he's a baby. When he actually gets to earth, he's grown and he's a small boy. It's like he was 1 yeard old when he left, and maybe like 6 when he arrived, making this a 5 year trip one way.

In SM returns, they say he has been gone for 5 years. SM says he went to visit his home world, and we saw him come back to earth in a tinfoil snowflake craft. So I'm confused about a lot of things. Did superman fly to his homeworld initially? If so, why didn't he fly back, why did he come back in a spacecraft instead? And more importantly, where did he find it? His entire planet was blown to bits thousands of years ago!

Another thing I didn't like is the part where SM carries the "new continent" into space. He's basically carrying a rock of cryptonite and it doesn't affect his powers: He's strong, and he can fly. Then, he gets hit by a tiny shard and basically dies. The fact that the proximity to cryptonite didn't affect him at all is lame. Espcially when just moments before, Lex was able to punch him and beat the crap out of him because SM had lost his special abilities just by being neare the cryptonite.

Oh, something else I didn' t like... During the big plane carying the space shuttle scene, we see lois get throw from row 1 to row 34 back and forth, she's getting slammed all ovber the place, yet she is not hurt one bit. No blood, no bruises, nothing! And WHY DIDN'T ANY OF THE OTHER PASSENGERS USE THEIR PUKE BAGS???

Ok that's all. I like everything else.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:30:57 AM by TheJudge »

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50:41 PM »

In the original Superman movie, when his parents send him to earth in the tinfoil snowflake craft, he's a baby. When he actually gets to earth, he's grown and he's a small boy. It's like he was 1 yeard old when he left, and maybe like 6 when he arrived, making this a 5 year trip one way.

In SM returns, they say he has been gone for 5 years. SM says he went to visit his home world, and we saw him come back to earth in a tinfoil snowflake craft. So I'm confused about a lot of things. Did superman fly to his homeworld initially? If so, why didn't he fly back, why did he come back in a spacecraft instead? And more importantly, where did he find it? His entire planet was blown to bits thousands of years ago!

Another thing I didn't like is the part where SM carries the "new continent" into space. He's basically carrying a rock of cryptonite and it doesn't affect his powers: He's strong, and he can fly. Then, he gets hit by a tiny shard and basically dies. The fact that the proximity to cryptonite didn't affect him at all is lame. Espcially when just moments before, Lex was able to punch him and beat the crap out of him because SM had lost his special abilities just by being neare the cryptonite.

Oh, something else I didn' t like... During the big plane carying the space shuttle scene, we see lois get throw from row 1 to row 34 back and forth, she's getting slammed all ovber the place, yet she is not hurt one bit. No blood, no bruises, nothing! And WHY DIDN'T ANY OF THE OTHER PASSENGERS USE THEIR PUKE BAGS???

Ok that's all. I like everything else.

Small for spoilers!

In the original Superman story, he arrives as a baby - and the craft is pretty much only his size (which is why Jor-El and company had to get all blowed up), so it doesn't really make sense with the craft no matter which way you slice it. I call it lazy writing, but it's not really that big a deal. He says scientists located his planet, but that's just stupid. The entire thing was done as a way to remove Superman from Earth for those five years they needed to advance the plot.

I scoffed at the carrying of Kryptonite mountain as well, but then remembered that moments before he had flown up and basked in the sun for a while; I doubt it would make that extreme a difference, but Superman is supposed to be powered (and apparently supercharged) by our sun.

Lois gets tossed all over the place and is fine because she gave birth to Superman's son, and mabye some Kryptonite DNA got all messed around in her. That's completely conjecture and silly-talk btw.

My problem with the movie was with Lex Luthor. Aside from he and Superman basically not talking at all, which should have been the highlight of the movie, they're kept apart (and not talking) until the very end, where it's more or less "Hey jerk you sent me to prison KAPOW!". In addition, what the fuck kind of plan did Lex actually have? When asked what would stop the rest of the world from coming after his new boring continent, he's all "I will have alien technology! ARRRR" but he didn't actually bother to learn how to use it before drawing a shitton of attention to himself. Ok, so you krypto-shanked Superman. What would you have done if an attack helicopter showed up? Oh, nothing. He had almost infinite knowledge thanks to alien races, and all he does is fire a cannon into the ocean so he can chill on the Island of Uncomfortableness. GREAT PLAN LEX

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 01:34:53 PM »

In the original Superman story, he arrives as a baby - and the craft is pretty much only his size (which is why Jor-El and company had to get all blowed up), so it doesn't really make sense with the craft no matter which way you slice it. I call it lazy writing, but it's not really that big a deal. He says scientists located his planet, but that's just stupid. The entire thing was done as a way to remove Superman from Earth for those five years they needed to advance the plot.

I scoffed at the carrying of Kryptonite mountain as well, but then remembered that moments before he had flown up and basked in the sun for a while; I doubt it would make that extreme a difference, but Superman is supposed to be powered (and apparently supercharged) by our sun.

Lois gets tossed all over the place and is fine because she gave birth to Superman's son, and mabye some Kryptonite DNA got all messed around in her. That's completely conjecture and silly-talk btw.

My problem with the movie was with Lex Luthor. Aside from he and Superman basically not talking at all, which should have been the highlight of the movie, they're kept apart (and not talking) until the very end, where it's more or less "Hey jerk you sent me to prison KAPOW!". In addition, what the fuck kind of plan did Lex actually have? When asked what would stop the rest of the world from coming after his new boring continent, he's all "I will have alien technology! ARRRR" but he didn't actually bother to learn how to use it before drawing a shitton of attention to himself. Ok, so you krypto-shanked Superman. What would you have done if an attack helicopter showed up? Oh, nothing. He had almost infinite knowledge thanks to alien races, and all he does is fire a cannon into the ocean so he can chill on the Island of Uncomfortableness. GREAT PLAN LEX

Good points. But regardless, did you like the movie?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 01:37:17 PM »

Good points. But regardless, did you like the movie?

I thought it was OK -  it could have been much better if only they had put a bit more effort into the plot. Dialogue was also lacking. I have to admit computers have done wonders for those flying scenes though. I watched Superman 2 a few weeks back and laughed my ass off.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD

foundation

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • T-Shirts for Baby Geeks
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 09:47:17 AM »

Superman connects with Superman I and II in the way that the new Star Wars movies should have.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »

Why should the new Star Trek movies connect with Superman I and Superman II?  Next thing you're going to tell me is that Kirk and Spock were actually lovers.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 01:55:52 PM »

Why would Kirk and Spock's sexual erm... exploits... be in any way connected to Star Wars which is apparently not connecting with Super Man I and II?  :-P

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 01:59:51 PM »

Quick, someone send the Connections signal to James Burke.  We need his help stat!

foundation

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • T-Shirts for Baby Geeks
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 02:34:53 PM »

This is getting confusing.  What I was saying is that the new Superman feels like it fits right in with the first 2 Superman movies in the way the new Star Wars movies should have connected to the original Star Wars movies.  Superman succeeded in picking up the franchise all these years later right where it left off.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 02:36:50 PM »

Well, it was hard for star Wars to pick of where they left off when you consider it was a prequel.
Pages: [1] 2