The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 09:53:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: What the Bleep...  (Read 3619 times)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
What the Bleep...
« on: August 20, 2006, 01:07:26 AM »

So, I just got done watching What the Bleep do we Know!?  For some time now I've been slowly building a little, personal library filled with books about quantum physics.  It's just something that I dig the hell out of.  I can't believe that it took me this long to see this movie.  I loved it!!!  Anyone else seen it?  I've done enough reading to know slightly more than the average person about entanglement, but this movie just really brought the implications home for me.  I particularly enjoyed the stuff about Masaru Emoto's ice crystal experiments, Schrodinger and super-position, and the body's addiction to its own chemical responses.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Re: What the Bleep...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 11:15:40 AM »

Movie produced by crazy cult woman who thinks she channels 35,000 year-old Atlantean-battling warrior spirit. Stop.
Science intertwined with loony new age bullshit. Stop.

I had to turn that movie off because it was so frustrating.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 11:28:23 AM by Lacerda »

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:32:53 PM »

Personally, I could give a shit who produced it.  If you want to ignore the input/interviews from "mystics", that's easy enough to do.  I still found the discussion of the science and it's possible implications to be wonderful.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:49:28 PM »

The problem with that being that a lot of science can be sufficiently complicated so as to seem like zany mysticism, and these wonderful people present them as one and the same. I don't like being lied to.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 01:35:44 PM »

Haven't seen it yet, but it's in the queue

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »

I saw it, and quite frankly it didn't do anything special for me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good either.

But I did enjoy the Schrodinger bit.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:47:41 PM »

The problem with that being that a lot of science can be sufficiently complicated so as to seem like zany mysticism, and these wonderful people present them as one and the same. I don't like being lied to.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree with you.  I just think that there's no harm in exploring the myriad possibilities that go hand in hand with the concept of entanglement.  To be honest with you, I kinda tuned out the Ramtha lady, but I really enjoyed the science part (and the ice crystals).

TRAHALD

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +14/-22
  • IDDQD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 02:22:15 PM »

NOVA just had a nice little series about string theory on last month.  I know it's not related to quantum physics, but I wanted to tell someone.
"There seems to be no good reason why a thoroughly scientific dictatorship should ever be overthrown." - Aldous Huxley

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 02:34:32 PM »

I've hated NOVA ever since Short Circuit came out. Those bastards. NO DISASSEMBLE!!!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »

NOVA just had a nice little series about string theory on last month.  I know it's not related to quantum physics, but I wanted to tell someone.

:?

String theory is intimately related to quantum physics.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 10:55:21 AM »

I haven't seen it, but I think I know some one who has it.  I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I'll give it a shot!
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 09:53:01 PM »

To be honest with you, I kinda tuned out the Ramtha lady, but I really enjoyed the science part (and the ice crystals).

I personally couldn't stand that Ramtha lady.  She got very annoying.  I think anyone that sells themselves to preach about their belief system to paying audiences shouldn't be allowed to be in 'documentaries.'  One of her first major scenes she talks for 2 minutes and ends with something like "Doesn't that blow your mind?" or something like that..  I was like..  wha?  This ladies dumb...  Now everyone else, at least ones with PhD's, those were interesting people.  I found it odd what some people had to say even though you goto the site and see their religious roots.

BUT-

The Emoto Water Study has a bit of a controversary behind it also.  I found it fascinating also and posted in another forum and someone replied to look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Emoto to read up on how he goes about reaching those results.  I won't say anything, just leave it to you to read it and form your own opinion.  It still is interesting though.

Question, have you seen Part2?  Futher Down the Rabbit Hole.  I have not seen it but I want it.  I was *extremely* disappointed in the DVD extras because I was hoping they'd have interview footage with the scientists or more background info..  But I do really want to see Further Down the Rabbit Hole.

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 07:21:35 PM »

I was thinking about WTB and I remembered a part in it when one of the guys talks about being able to walk on water.

He said something along the lines of that we can't walk on water because we think we can't.  If we really truly had no doubt we couldn't walk on it, maybe we could walk on it.

I heard that and it struck me as odd.  I find it interesting, but in saying that hes saying Jesus wasn't like the son of God or something, just that he was a person with no doubt...

Maybe..