The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 03:08:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36

Author Topic: The 'Let's Bitch About Our Jobs' thread.  (Read 213953 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: The 'Let's Bitch About Our Jobs' thread.
« Reply #475 on: March 13, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »

with the 'none of your business'. I was just being curious and making conversation. Trying to get to know some of you.

Oh.  I thought you were making some kind of joke.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #476 on: March 13, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »

Oh.  I thought you were making some kind of joke.

:oops: I guess it was a bit of both. Just trying to be light hearted. I guess i jsut came across as prying or being rude or something.
// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #477 on: March 13, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »

:oops: I guess it was a bit of both. Just trying to be light hearted. I guess i jsut came across as prying or being rude or something.

Heh.  No worries, girl.  I'm not offended.  I just feel like I've been involved in an Abbott and Costello discussion or something.   8-)

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #478 on: March 13, 2009, 10:41:39 AM »

Heh.  No worries, girl.  I'm not offended.  I just feel like I've been involved in an Abbott and Costello discussion or something.   8-)

I'm english and 23 so all i got from that was a swoooshing sound as it went over my head. ha.

Oh well.  :w:

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 13, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »

Logic is logic; the rest is just syntax.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 13, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »

Well gosh, I'm not assuming I know more about it than you. But having used VBA, Delphi, SQL and C++ amongst a hand full of others. I know which i prefer, and thats with little experience I assure you. Its easy for you to have a broad opinion on it with years of experience. I only have a few years, and i can only go on what i have learned so far.

Who said anything about preference? I'm calling you on your apparent condescending slur. IT is a competitive world here, and sometimes one takes what one can get.

Also, again, the syntax and the platform shouldn't matter.

There are two kinds of coders: the mechanics and the artists. Both can be great coders, but the mechanics are more concerned with their tools and methods, whereas the artists are more concerned with the results. To the artists, the tools are transparent. It really doesn't matter what an app is coded in -- what matters is that it hums celestial music. Every language has its own aesthetic.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #481 on: March 13, 2009, 10:54:23 AM »

Who said anything about preference? I'm calling you on your apparent condescending slur. IT is a competitive world here, and sometimes one takes what one can get.

Also, again, the syntax and the platform shouldn't matter.

There are two kinds of coders: the mechanics and the artists. Both can be great coders, but the mechanics are more concerned with their tools and methods, whereas the artists are more concerned with the results. To the artists, the tools are transparent. It really doesn't matter what an app is coded in -- what matters is that it hums celestial music. Every language has its own aesthetic.

Well as your opinion thats all well and good. Also you might consider it fact. I don't however, and I also know a lot of experienced programmer who wouldn't agree with you. But thats the thing about programmers, we always think where right.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 13, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »

Well as your opinion thats all well and good. Also you might consider it fact. I don't however, and I also know a lot of experienced programmer who wouldn't agree with you. But thats the thing about programmers, we always think where right.

You know a lot of experienced programmers who wouldn't agree with me about what? That programming is programming? That every language has its own aesthetic? That VBA can be as challenging and rewarding as C++? That the IT field in the US is competitive? That looking down on VBA programmers is unseemly elitism?

What is YOUR opinion (aside from "VBA SUKS LOL")?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #483 on: March 13, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »

You know a lot of experienced programmers who wouldn't agree with me about what? That programming is programming? That every language has its own aesthetic? That VBA can be as challenging and rewarding as C++? That the IT field in the US is competitive? That looking down on VBA programmers is unseemly elitism?

What is YOUR opinion (aside from "VBA SUKS LOL")?

I told you what my opinion is about it. I gave a list of things i didn't like about it, but you walked all over them because you are experienced and 'obviously right'. Seen as though you proffered your opinion with such confidence in yourself i thought you might respect the combined opinion of some people who are a little more experienced, as you seem to think i am a lol speaking idiot. (So who is the elitist?)

And they ALSO agree that VBA is not as good a tool as something like C++. So I believe that my opinions are founded.

I am also a lot less inclined to change my mind and develop my opinions based of some argumentative guy who appears to just want to pick a fight.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 13, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »

<snip>
I am also a lot less inclined to change my mind and develop my opinions based of some argumentative guy who appears to just want to pick a fight.
Once again I say, pot, please allow me to introduce you to the kettle.

And, ivan doesn't really run around here picking fights too often, so you might want to be sure that's what he's doing this time.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 13, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »

I told you what my opinion is about it. I gave a list of things i didn't like about it, but you walked all over them because you are experienced and 'obviously right'. Seen as though you proffered your opinion with such confidence in yourself i thought you might respect the combined opinion of some people who are a little more experienced, as you seem to think i am a lol speaking idiot. (So who is the elitist?)

And they ALSO agree that VBA is not as good a tool as something like C++. So I believe that my opinions are founded.

I never said VBA is as good a tool as something like C++, and in fact implied the opposite. What I am telling you is that programmers should not look down on fellow programmers based on what language they are working with. To support my argument, I made the claim that the language does not matter; what matters is the brain that is using it.

Here is your statement that got me all hot under the collar:

if you wont tell me I'll guess. You're a VBA programmer arn't you?

I guess it goes to my deep insecurity as a coder. No matter what I've mastered, no matter the heights I've scaled or the applicational beauty I've birthed, deep, deep inside I still think of myself as a GWBASIC programmer using EDLIN on a Kaypro-20.

Perhaps therapy.

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2009, 11:22:44 AM »

Once again I say, pot, please allow me to introduce you to the kettle.

And, ivan doesn't really run around here picking fights too often, so you might want to be sure that's what he's doing this time.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I am just taking an interest in demo and trying to get to know something about him.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #487 on: March 13, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »

No matter what I've mastered, no matter the heights I've scaled or the applicational beauty I've birthed, deep, deep inside I still think of myself as a GWBASIC programmer using EDLIN on a Kaypro-20.

Gee Whiz BASIC!

I remember playing Loderunner on an old Kaypro. 

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #488 on: March 13, 2009, 11:31:36 AM »

I never said VBA is as good a tool as something like C++, and in fact implied the opposite. What I am telling you is that programmers should not look down on fellow programmers based on what language they are working with. To support my argument, I made the claim that the language does not matter; what matters is the brain that is using it.

Here is your statement that got me all hot under the collar:

I guess it goes to my deep insecurity as a coder. No matter what I've mastered, no matter the heights I've scaled or the applicational beauty I've birthed, deep, deep inside I still think of myself as a GWBASIC programmer using EDLIN on a Kaypro-20.

Perhaps therapy.

But it was completely not ment in an offensive way. I was just trying to spark up a conversation, It was quiet, topics are scares. I'm knew, I wanted to get to know people I thought demo was holding back so I made a joke to encourage conversation. It was the tiniest little barb just so he would tell me about himself. (seriously sorry i asked)

On the matter of the VBA discussion:

All of a sudden I'm thrown into an argument that frankly I don't care about but am to stuborn to conseed in when I know I'm not talking out of my arse.

And there is also the point that If i gave in and said i really couldn't give a crap about this, that it sounds like i have no balls.

I've done mock ups in VBA. Also I like C# for christs sack ... I use XNA in my spare time. I am so not a C++ snob. Honestly.

P.S The lol speak thing was just mean :(

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 13, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »

P.S The lol speak thing was just mean :(

It was meant to be funny, like the rest of my blathering.

By the way, I'm right about the mechanic/artist dichotomy in programming. If you stop debugging code when the app finally works, you are a mechanic. If, after that, you completely rewrite major bits of it because it suddenly struck you that three subroutines could be rewritten as one recursive function, you are a poet. When I said the artist-programmer is not concerned with language but with results, part of those results is how the code reads, and even looks. With that attitude, even VBA can have inner beauty and a nice personality.

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #490 on: March 13, 2009, 11:52:36 AM »

It was meant to be funny, like the rest of my blathering.

By the way, I'm right about the mechanic/artist dichotomy in programming. If you stop debugging code when the app finally works, you are a mechanic. If, after that, you completely rewrite major bits of it because it suddenly struck you that three subroutines could be rewritten as one recursive function, you are a poet. When I said the artist-programmer is not concerned with language but with results, part of those results is how the code reads, and even looks. With that attitude, even VBA can have inner beauty and a nice personality.

I think I understand a little of that. I've started care about how my code flows more than anything else.

You're insecure about BASIC, I'm insecure about being percieved as an Idiot, its my Achilles' heel.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2009, 12:28:10 PM »

I think I understand a little of that.

Not a good idea. I contradict myself.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 13, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »

I'm still trying to understand why anyone would have anything against VBA.  I happen to enjoy coding in VBA.  Sure, it's a stripped down version of VB Script, but it is a VERY powerful tool.  If, as is the case in my industry, your client wants all of their output in Excel, Word or PowerPoint format, it doesn't make sense to take out a nuclear bomb like .NET VSTO when you can simply bash in the head of the annoying insect with the palm of your hand (VBA).
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 13, 2009, 12:56:05 PM »

I'm still trying to understand why anyone would have anything against VBA.  I happen to enjoy coding in VBA.  Sure, it's a stripped down version of VB Script, but it is a VERY powerful tool.  If, as is the case in my industry, your client wants all of their output in Excel, Word or PowerPoint format, it doesn't make sense to take out a nuclear bomb like .NET VSTO when you can simply bash in the head of the annoying insect with the palm of your hand (VBA).

Absodamnlutely. And like a lot of MS products, VBA has layers of complexity if you need and know how to use them. It is no mean feat to master it.

When I was working as a programmer for a (very expensive) VAR, I told more than one of my clients that everything our $100K+ package does can be done with Excel + VBA. Obviously, I fail in sales.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #494 on: March 13, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »

Actually, I found the same thing with MS Visual FoxPro.

They acquired FoxPro to begin with, but it never really came into its own as a data-driven application development platform until they added significantly to its power and structure.  You can do a lot of really great things with it, it's too bad its niche got a bit eroded away from all sides, it was a great language.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 13, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »

All true.

And yet nothing, NOTHING I tell you, holds a candle to the awesome powerhouse that is Tool.bat.

All else pales.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #496 on: March 13, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »

Absolutely.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 13, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »

Demo, I got a job for ya, huhuhuhuh
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2009, 02:50:17 PM »

Huh huh huh huh huh... uhhh huh huh huh!

LuciferSam

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #499 on: March 15, 2009, 06:52:32 AM »

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread before, and rightly so.

Nonetheless, this is what hell looks like. Make a digital surround track out of a grainy outtake from 1959? Sure! I can do that. Christos. I miss analog.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36