The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 12:58:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Stupid Sexy Flanders and the Deathly Hallows *SPOLIERS CONTAINED*  (Read 2857 times)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile

Ok, here are the rules for this thread (mostly intended for our newer people who weren't here the last time we did this).  Obviously, this is a discussion thread for the seventh Stupid Sexy Flanders book.  If you are going to post spoilers, please make sure to post them in 2 point font.  That way, no one accidentally reads something that will catch them by surprise.  If you post spoilers in font that is easily readable, please expect a mod to modify your post to eliminate that problem.  Mods, you okay with that?

Let the discussion begin!!!
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Sexy Flanders and the Deathly Hallows *SPOLIERS CONTAINED*
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:29:37 PM »

Hagrid rawks.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

pickled kitten

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +108/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:28:20 PM »

hedwig :cry:

/SARCASM <--- Fixed the problem ;)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »

Quote from: BizB
Hagrid rawks.
Yes.  Yes, he does.  Is this a general observation, and if not, how far into the book are you?

hedwig :cry:
Yeah, that tore me up too.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

12AX7

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 10:47:37 PM by 12AX7 »

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:15:41 AM »

Is this a general observation, and if not, how far into the book are you?
Just a general observation.  I can't read.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »

Harry lives? Weird Tingly Feeling WHY? And Snape dies! I cried  :cry: Now the ink is all blurred on that page, and it sticks to the next because I sat here CRYING for like five minutes. Also, Fred Weasley's death came as a blow to me.

Hated the Epilogue, though. But I LOVED Mrs. Weasley's "Not my Daughter, you Bitch!!" moment...ALMOST makes up for my lost love....My Snape....my beautiful, loyal Snape...

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »

Harry lives? Weird Tingly Feeling WHY? And Snape dies! I cried  :cry: Now the ink is all blurred on that page, and it sticks to the next because I sat here CRYING for like five minutes. Also, Fred Weasley's death came as a blow to me.

Hated the Epilogue, though. But I LOVED Mrs. Weasley's "Not my Daughter, you Bitch!!" moment...ALMOST makes up for my lost love....My Snape....my beautiful, loyal Snape...

Did you honestly expect that Harry would die?  Furthermore, that Happy would die while Snape, of all people, lived?  For the past few books, she had been setting Snape up for redemption.

I'm with you on Fred though.  That was rough.  And killing off both Lupin and Tonks (and thereby creating another orphan) hit me hard; it was pretty harsh.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 12:16:23 PM »

What I liked:
*Closure. One survived, the other did not. Killed himself, if you want to be technical about it.
*Admittedly, the happy ending. Martyrdom would've required Harry to die (actually die), but I think she wanted to show that good could conquer over evil, even after facing enormous trial and loss. Since the story is told in the third-person from Harry's point of view (semi-omniscient narrator), it might've made wrap-up awkward if he'd died.

What I didn't:
*The Epilogue. Okay, I know she probably wrote it to put a sort of nail into the coffin, but honestly, it's like a 'shipper wrote it. At least the relationship crap was really kept to the last two and a half books.
*The Deathly Hallows. Maybe I need to reread the second-to-last chapter, but I'm really not sure where the Hallows fit into this. Eternal life? Heaven? Just a plot device to keep Harry from actually dying?
*The happy ending. Martyrdom would've required Harry to actually die, not do this limbo-white-light touchy-feely crap.
*Snape. More to come. It's ridiculous. Secret crush on Lily and that's why he hates Harry? Weird Tingly Feeling?

What I'm quaffling on:
*Tonks & Remus' deaths. It was done to mirror James & Lily's untimely deaths, leaving their respective young sons parentless and in the care of their godfather. Or not. We don't know what happens to Ted. Presumably, he's raised by 'Dromeda as Harry, while of age, is probably not ready to support a child (though James and Lily were only 21 when they died!) But it almost seems like she killed those two just to get them out of the way.
*Fred's death: Seriously? For why? Didn't serve any purpose I could see, but she went there.
*Ron et al: When did he grow up and get smrt? All these kids must've slept on their schoolbooks and learned by osmosis for four weeks between the end of term last year and when this one picks up. It's ridiculous the things they suddenly know. Harry had always scraped by with determination and some lucky spellwork. Hermione was her usual self. Ron, however, made a spectacular turnaround. Ginny, sadly, didn't seem like anything more than eyecandy. Neville got more confidence. Luna showed she's more than just a hippie lunatic. And yet they all seemed like college-age students more than 17 year old kids. They sure grow 'em up fast in the wizarding world.
*Expelliarmus: He never kills. He performs Imperio and Crucio, but never Avada Kevadra. Noble? Probably. Realistic? Eh. (Look at me, arguing realism in a book about wizards! The nerve!)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »

I haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies, but I enjoy posting stuff in tiny fontsizes.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.