The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 01:27:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129627
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Pope has some really really really selective memory!!  (Read 6639 times)

12AX7

Re: The Pope has some really really really selective memory!!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 11:36:18 PM »

That's why soon we'll win and there'll be no more religion and we'll all be happy together and smoke weed.
Cool. So I'm ahead of the game.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 12:46:35 AM »

If communists leaders were truly atheistic, Stalin's atrocities and those of Mao, Khemer Rouge, etc.  Human history is filled with atrocities, the motivations/justifications have one thing in common, the dehumanizing of the targeted group.  Tutsi/Hutu, Tamil Tigers vs Sri Lankan Gvt., Conquistadores/Western European Settlers vs Indigenous Americans; I don't even know if there is an accurate database anywhere with religious affiliation as an attribute.

12AX7

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 07:25:23 AM »

The Crusades? Ok; so it's not a database; but religious affiliation was pretty much the whole point, no?
 Or am I misunderstanding your post...?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 07:28:22 AM by 12AX7 »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 08:16:35 AM »

My point is that there isn't reliable data.  There have been plenty of attrocities done in the name of various religions, and there have been various attrocities done in the name of godless authorities (see Stalin, Mao above) and then there are others that don't really fit in the name of god or godless (see Hutu/Tutsi).  Anyway the data for even modern attrocities isn't too reliable.  I've seen estimates of Iraquis slaughtered by the Iraq invasion/occupation as low as <100K and >2M, and there are probably sources which blow those ranges out of the water.  And was this war in the name of god, name of oil, name of influence?  Plenty of competing data there.  I guess it would take an omniscient being to sort all this out, if one existed.
Pages: 1 [2]