The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 03:04:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New guy is new.  (Read 7652 times)

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
Re: New guy is new.
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 11:33:49 PM »

I'm not a fan of double-posting but I couldn't think of an appropriate place to ask this question. There may be a sticky somewhere stating this, and if there is, my apologies, but why can't I post in certain forums? The "Hardware, Software, and Other Imperialist Crap" and "Flamer's Corner" were the two I noticed. Is it just a safeguard against newly registered idiots? Do I need to reach a certain amount of posts before given the right to post in those forums, or is it a privilege only given at will by the O Mighty forum gods?
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

12AX7

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »

I think its 100 posts for the Hardware forum; unless Chris or Judge sets you up. I dunno whats up about the Flamers Corner. I didn't think we had restrictions there.
 Yep, the restriction on the Hardware room was intended to be a safeguard against those one post "Help ME!!!" wonders. If you pm Chris or Judge, Im sure they'll go ahead and clear you.

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 11:51:06 PM »

I think its 100 posts for the Hardware forum; unless Chris or Judge sets you up. I dunno whats up about the Flamers Corner. I didn't think we had restrictions there.
 Yep, the restriction on the Hardware room was intended to be a safeguard against those one post "Help ME!!!" wonders. If you pm Chris or Judge, Im sure they'll go ahead and clear you.

I'm actually relatively computer ignorant myself, so I don't have too much to contribute to the computer forum, anyhow. I was just curious, is all.

As for the Flamer's Corner, my guess is that it's an attempt to weed out emotional teenage drama queens from whining about how the sky's too blue and bright? Meh, ain't got nothin'.

/edit
I thank you for your hasty response, though. :D

/edit #2
Another question about one of the rules here: it's made clear you don't appreciate thread necrophilia, which you've defined as bumping a thread inactive for a month or longer. Does that rule also affect the stickies in the "Sticky Stuff" forum? I figured the rule didn't apply being as they're sticky, but some are awfully old and I wanted to clarify before imposing. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:59:17 PM by canoftuna »
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

12AX7

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 01:09:30 AM »

Well...   it's not a hard and fast rule about an old thread; if you have something to add. You're fast becoming 'regular' , so I don't imagine you'd be bumping up old threads with nonsense like " I did tht once! lol!!"   That's the biggest reason it's frowned on. Sometimes while back-reading, some people sorta forget it's an old thread and reply; thinking its... well.. not really thinking, heh.
 And no- it doesn't really apply to the stickies; except for the same basic "theme"; ADD something, not just agree with it; if you follow me.

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 01:30:25 AM »

Well...   it's not a hard and fast rule about an old thread; if you have something to add. You're fast becoming 'regular' , so I don't imagine you'd be bumping up old threads with nonsense like " I did tht once! lol!!"   That's the biggest reason it's frowned on. Sometimes while back-reading, some people sorta forget it's an old thread and reply; thinking its... well.. not really thinking, heh.
 And no- it doesn't really apply to the stickies; except for the same basic "theme"; ADD something, not just agree with it; if you follow me.
So, essentially, thread necrophilia isn't necessarily frowned up, but don't bump a thread just to state what five other people said previously throughout the thread? Gotcha.

Any other unspoken "codes of conduct" I'm supposed to adhere by? :P

LuciferSam

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 06:27:11 AM »

Fridays are casual, days that end in Y are cheese and beer day, don't forget the commandments of Pepe, and if you mail me a carton of Chesterfields, you get a free coolio point.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »

Don't listen to Luci.  He's just always on the lookout for someone to help him in his potted meat product smuggling operation.  Once he gets you in deep, you're screwed.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 08:26:49 AM »

Hey, this guy has the potential to be a big earner - I'm sure he would make the vig no problem.

New guy, you definitely want in on this racket -  lotta juice to be made. But, like I said, you gotta start out with the buttlegging. And I need the smokes, stat. You'll get 2 large for your troubles, half the divvy in coolio points, the other half laundered through Ping's as a nice vintage Gant shirt. Hey, I'll even throw in a bottle of Eagle Rare, fahgeddaboutit.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:35:33 AM by LuciferSam »

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »

Hey, this guy has the potential to be a big earner - I'm sure he would make the vig no problem.

New guy, you definitely want in on this racket -  lotta juice to be made. But, like I said, you gotta start out with the buttlegging. And I need the smokes, stat. You'll get 2 large for your troubles, half the divvy in coolio points, the other half laundered through Ping's as a nice vintage Gant shirt. Hey, I'll even through in a bottle of Eagle Rare, fahgeddaboutit.
Not gonna lie, I have no idea what you just said. But it sounded cool.

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 10:20:52 AM »

All right, here it is simple - A couple of friends of mine and I, we make our money by bundling up big pallets of potted meat produce like Spam and Hormels - all of which is totally legit and just fell off the back of a truck, 'awright? - and then we put 'em in the back of a yacht and we move em down the coast from Aberdeen to the Bay Area, where we offload them and we sell them to our crew (others, and possibly you if you can make the cut) in an alleyway near the airport, where they are dispersed across the country by solid operators. You take the produce out as a loan, and you pay us back the proceeds plus a vig depending on how long it takes you to move the product, minus your cut of the spam profits... Lotta big money, you see?

But before I can get you in on it, you gotta prove you're a cool operator by posting me a parcel of Chesterfield Cigarettes, to show you know the black market. Those things are bloody impossible to get over here on the left coast.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 12:35:45 PM »

Not gonna lie, I have no idea what you just said. But it sounded cool.

I'm tellin' ya.  Once you start acting as a mule for Luci, you're already in too deep, no way out.

Just be careful.  He's not one to mess with, for Pepe's sake.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »

Yeah and ingesting all those spam filled con... Perhaps I've said too much.

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 09:51:31 PM »

Babbo! You're gonna bring down the whole racket with your squealing!

I forgot to mention, 'Cano, you're going to need some basic equipment - the starter crew member needs a short trenchcoat, preferably in taupe with the camel hair lining for warmth in alleyways, and some tea shades. We used to use aviators, but the damned kids are repossessing that style. They'll never take back tea shades, though!

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »

Babbo! You're gonna bring down the whole racket with your squealing!

I forgot to mention, 'Cano, you're going to need some basic equipment - the starter crew member needs a short trenchcoat, preferably in taupe with the camel hair lining for warmth in alleyways, and some tea shades. We used to use aviators, but the damned kids are repossessing that style. They'll never take back tea shades, though!
No.
Pages: 1 [2]