The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 11:52:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Getting to know some stupid geek  (Read 18710 times)

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Getting to know some stupid geek
« on: May 23, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »

Hello new people,

You disgust me. Each and every one of you is a bucket of potential. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection that bucket often appears to be filled with some sort of feces, or perhaps a series of pies that have been left outdoors for a few days in the hot sun. And they weren't good pies to begin with, you melted rotting pie sons of bitches.

Excuse my hostility, I'm from the Internet.

Anyway, since I barely post in the threads of new people, I decided to make my own, wherein us regulars (we get a lot of fibre [thank you, that's two scatological references in the post already; hope you like poop jokes]) will give you a few random facts about us to help you acclimate to your new and frightening situation.

So, without further whatever the hell I was typing, here are some things about Lacerda:

• Somehow still a moderator despite varying levels of competence
  • Rumored to be female which is probably not true
  • Beta-level nerd. I don't have the requisite Aspberger's to compete with the hardcore nerds, but I dabble in everything
  • Occasionally does shitty Wacom drawings
  • Makes lists about self in pseudo-third person?

Ok, other people who post here regularly, write down some things.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:28:23 PM by Chris »

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Getting to know some stupid geek
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:09:04 AM »

Despite my current avatar (though it may have changed since I wrote this), I am not a 6 year old curly haired girl.  Nor, as a matter of fact, is the kid in that picture.  She's 10 now and her hair is straight.  I know, right?

I too am a moderator here.  I earned this position as a temporary reward for a magnanimous post that I made here.  They haven't taken it away from me, yet - but don't tell anyone because I don't think they've noticed.  I'm a geek-lite.

1) I'm a computer programmer for a HUGE marketing research company
2) I have several web sites - find them if you can
C) I don't always use numbered lists
IV) My hobbies include: kiteboarding.  (yes, that's all.  if you kiteboard, you know why that's all)
V) If I'm not working or kiteboarding, I'm waiting for wind or searching for wind
6) I'm a Clooney-look-alike, but only in profile when I squint and my hair is cut really short
7) I have little patience for ignorance and I may seem like an ass sometimes.  The truth of the matter is; I'm not a political creature and I don't couch my comments.  My filter is really weak and what comes from my fingertips is usually what's really on my mind with no sugar coating.
14) I wrote "Be like Mike" (AKA "Don't be a Dick") - But I can't find it any more.  If you can, I'll pay you handsomely for it. The_FOO found it!!one!!eleven1
®) I also wrote this: *lick monitor here*
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:42:13 PM by BizB »
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 08:34:52 AM »

They haven't taken it away from me, yet - but don't tell anyone because I don't think they've noticed. 

One would think that I forget, because I forget a lot. Just ask my wife! But in this case, it's just a matter of me not caring/being too lazy to undo the damage.

About me:
  • I like poutine
  • I like to send people to hell by getting them addicted to online gambling. Check out my Texas Holdem strategy website, and my recently launched how to play poker games website, which is more for beginers.
  • As demonstrated in the previous bullet, I am interested in search engine optimization (SEO)
  • I fly kites
  • I drive a motrocycle
  • I'm French Canadian
  • I'm not from Quebec
  • I play D&D every week. This has been ongoing for 7 years now (with the same group)
  • I play guitar
  • My life philosophy is "work hard, play harder"
  • Lacerda cracks me up with practically every single posts she makes
  • I just noticed that Chris redid the geekery's homepage template. I like it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:38:49 AM by TheJudge »

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »

Lets see...

• I'm semi-regular, with my posting coming in spurts
  • I like double entendres
  • especially dirty ones
  • I run the servener where the current incarnation of the IRC chat room lives.
  • I think I'm the eastern most North American "regular"
  • My pen0r is always a valid topic of discussion*

*<The_FOO> Bobert: pen0r
  <Bobert> The_FOO: Unless it was february when chris always forgot to reinit count to 0 of the primary reasons i don't like r.

http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »

I'm also a moderator here and I used to have th highest post count until Pbsaurus finally caught up and then surpassed me.  This isn't because I'm a post whore, I just have a lot of goofy shit to say and apparently some find it entertaining sometimes, so I spout off whatever comes to mind.

Some things about me:

• Most of the old-timer regulars on this site I know from either Hackernetwork.com or FARK, some of whom I've been acquainted with since around December of 2000 or so
  • I don't normally post in n00b intro threads or birthday threads
  • I've been playing guitar for longer than most of this forum's members have been alive
  • I also play tabletop RPGs, but I prefer older systems like AD&D and systems derived from them like HackMaster and OSRIC
  • What is best in life?  To kill the characters, see the character sheets pile up before you, and to hear the lamentation of the players!
  • I'm a sysadmin for over 3,000 end users.  Yeah.  That's right.  I'm bitter.  I have very little patience for stupid, so don't try me.
  • I'm very political and very opinionated, but I choose my battles, so I'm not easily dragged into dung-flinging contests in the political forum.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:54:24 AM by Demosthenes »

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »

You forgot to mention how you love Christmas.  :evil:

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 03:36:15 PM »

You forgot to mention how you love Christmas.  :evil:

And I love Christmas.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »

"My name is Legion, for we are many."

Bah, forget all of that. Yes, I too am a moderator here. I was one of two members selected by the current moderators to join the ranks awhile back. The other was Demosthenes. Since then, I've swung long and hard with my hammer, and haven't looked back.

I signed up to the forum not long after its creation. I fondly remember searching for an 'All Your Base' MP3, and washing up ashore here. I poked around a bit, finally signing up and making a name for myself. My 'psychotic techno-babble' has amused masses ever since. Although I'm not around nearly as much as I used to be, I slip in and out of the shadows from time to time.

So, that's my back story. Here's a few facts about Dark Shade:

• I play Magic: The Gathering. Not a huge surprise, really. And for the amount of years I've been doing so, you'd think I would own stock.
  • I cannot, under any circumstances, snap my fingers. Period.
  • I'm able to quote Monty Python And The Holy Grail from start to finish. Again, not surprising. I imagine some of you can.
  • My favourite movie? Gladiator. Russell Crowe is a man's man.
  • I'm Canadian. I drink poutine and eat Kokanee. Or is that the other way around?
  • I have a somewhat unhealthy obsession with the 'Matrix' trilogy. Obviously.
  • I love you all.

Welcome to me, enjoy your stay.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »

My name is Xolik and I'm a geek.

I don't even remember how I found this place initially, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with HNs downfall. I was very happy to see that the people from HN that I could stand all came here. I'm something of a smartass and enjoy making people laugh, though most of the times it isn't intentional on my part.

Here's a bit about me:

• I play World of Warcraft. I only have one max level character, but I do so enjoy that game. Even if it's filled with drooling retards.
  • I can't hold my liquor for beans and get buzzed after two light beers
  • I can pretty much quote any Simpsons episode but frequently choose not to because I'm sure it gets annoying after hearing the same tired phrase 10,000 times.
  • I like comedy movies the most. Don't like drama or musicals.
  • I'm from Southern California, but want to move to Nevada some day and hopefully retire in Manila.
  • I really like old video game systems and collect them as a little hobby. I've almost got every American release for the Turbografx-16 and am currently working up my Neo Geo cart collection.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »

My name is Xolik and I'm a geek.

• I like comedy movies the most. Don't like drama or musicals.

D00d! Doesn't that invalidate your gay card or something?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »

I think it gets automatically re-validated by his desire to retire in Manila;)

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »

I think it gets automatically re-validated by his desire to retire in Manila;)

touche'

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »

wow. you guys are geeks:w:

hmm. well. i'm your president. i'm not funny, pretty or smart, and i don't capitalize- but for some reason they keep me around.. probably to boost the egos of the other regulars. ;) i have an unhealthy obsession with marilyn monroe, stars (the shape, not those famous people and not that shit in the sky), and the color pink. i try to avoid confrontation whenever possible (yes, it's on purpose that i rarely, if ever, post in the political forum) - not because i fear it, but because i want everyone to love me. fortunately, it usually works. also, i love music and can't stand when people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 12:09:49 AM »

14) I wrote "Be like Mike" (AKA "Don't be a Dick") - But I can't find it any more.  If you can, I'll pay you handsomely for it.

I founded it! What do I win!

http://www.geekforum.org/index.php/topic,3005.msg86053.html#msg86053

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 01:59:16 AM »

Hmph. My introduction thread was great, don't know whatch're talkin' 'bout.

But a few tidbits about me.
  • I'm relatively new. I post every once in a while, but I lurk more than I post.
  • I'm a horrible geek. I like to dip my feet in all geeky areas, but I'm good at only a few of them.
  • I know exactly how many books I own, how many are lent out to friends, and how many I've lost over the years from moving so much.
  • Like Xolik, pretty addicted to World of Warcraft. (Speaking of, what server/faction do you play, Xol? Sending a PM your way!)
  • And like Dark Shade, I can quote all of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And every single one of my close friends are so geeky, they can as well.
  • I'm currently going to school to become a blackjack dealer. I've always been a huge fan of card games (mostly poker, though), so this job's going to be great.
  • I'm a musician! And definitely on the nerdier side of that too- I play clarinet and piano.
  • I'm a huge English history fan, although it has less to do with history and more to do with the fact that I'm a huge fantasy fan.
  • My biggest internet pet peeve besides incoherent idiots would be girls on the internet. Hence the overwhelming need to imply I'm a male when I first join any internet community. I just completely despise the ones who advertise their gender in every syllable, add cute anime faces after every sentence, and post cleavage myspace pictures in their avatars. Make me a fucking sandwich if you want to be treated like a girl that badly.
  • I've been drunk only once ever, and apparently, I'm a nerdy drunk. I just spelled (or tried, rather) words all night.
  • I've always wanted to be a D&D nerd, but I never knew anybody in my area who dabbled in it.
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 11:07:45 PM »

I am Vespertine.  I'm not new.  I'm not a mod.  I don't post all that often, even though I've been around for a number of years.  Some people might consider me the resident bitch.  I'm totally okay with that.  Here are some things about me (some of which the regulars might not even know).

• I'm a data analyst for a very large company.
  • Like Demo, I don't normally post in n00b intro threads or birthday threads.
  • I am born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona.
  • Like many others here, I have no patience for ignorance or stupidity.
  • My brain contains a staggering amount of useless trivia...I think this is because (for some strange reason) I remember a strangely large amount of what I see/hear/read.
  • I am a casual player of Everquest II.  Yes, it is possible to play it without being completely obsessed by it
  • I started out my voting my life as a Republican.
  • I love a good political debate, and you'll often find me in the political section of this site.
  • I, too, am sometimes a nerdy drunk (mostly I'm just a funny drunk though).  The last time I was drunk in a bar, I gave the guy next to me a lecture on the meaning of onomatopoeia.  He was trying to sound smart and totally misused the word.  What?  Someone had to tell him what it really meant.  One of the drunk times before that, I lectured some tool on the proper usage of the word misanthrope.  Same basic back story.
  • I'm still unable to decide if Lacerda really is a d00d! or not.  However, now that I think about it, I thought I did come across a picture of Lacerda that definitely was a representation of a male.  Could have been a ruse though...aliens are tricky like that.
  • Sometimes I write in stream of consciousness.  Some people call it A.D.D.  I prefer to call it stream of...ooohhh look, shiny...  Eh, whatever.  Deal with it.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 08:33:30 AM »

I'm Novice and I do have Aspberger's.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 10:28:01 AM »

I'm Novice and I do have Aspberger's.

Assburgers.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Stitch

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +19/-38
  • What that smell like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »

I am Stitch. I play a lot of video games, it's my main thing. I have a PS3 and play the following games online via PS3:

• NFS: Carbon
  • Unreal Tournament III
  • GTA IV

And via PC:

• Unreal Tournament
  • StarCraft
  • WarCraft III

I dislike bad grammar, as well as punctuation. If what you say makes sense, I'll talk to you. If not, be forewarned.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »

You dislike punctuation?
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 09:40:50 PM »

*snickers*

Oh the irony...

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 10:06:22 PM »

I hate punctuation, too!
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

12AX7

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 10:41:33 PM »

12ax7 says, "I don't. However; sometimes it seems a pain in the ass, though it's actually not."

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »

I'm wunderkind. I enjoy sarcasm, alcohol, cars, animals, nature, physics, chemistry, randomness, and cheese (not necessarily in that order or all at once). I do not understand the concept of a rhetorical question and I know the difference between ignorance and indifference and I am mostly indifferent. I do not like lists, idiots, or religions. I am an elitist. I write fiction and poetry(published). I am a third shifter. I do not believe in making plans. I try not to post while stupid, but it doesn't always work out. I never try to post while drunk, it just happens.

I don't care what you do with your punctuation or grammar, but if I can't read it, I'll let you know.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 12:58:37 AM »

Assburgers.

I usually get "Is that the burgers on your ass again?" when I start getting awkward.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
Pages: [1] 2 3