The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 01:18:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Web hosting help?  (Read 2115 times)

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
Web hosting help?
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:18:41 AM »

I wasn't sure if this was supposed to go in the technology section or not. I figured since it had more to do with the internet than technology, I'd post it here.

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you know of any good web hosts? I'm relatively clueless about this all, and I don't want to dish out more money than I need to. I was looking at Dreamhost, but I don't particularly have a hundred or so bucks lying around to spend in a burst amounts.

Any advice is welcome!

Also, here is a burrito:

"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Re: Web hosting help?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 07:21:21 AM »

I always recommend Insider Hosting when people ask on these forums.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:49:07 AM »

My host, www.hostforweb.com has a $5/month plan that's pretty good

RAID Web Space (MB)   500MB
Web Visitors/Hits   Unlimited
Monthly Bandwidth   50GB
Sub-Domains (*.yourname.com)   1

...and if you use my username (bizbbiz) as the person who referred you, I get 6-months free hosting.

</pimping>
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:51:07 AM by BizB »
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:45:43 PM »

Netfirms is free, but they stick a little banner at the top of the page.  That's really the only drawback to them.  Now I use my home box and a dynamic DNS service.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 06:00:08 PM »

I grabbed a hostforweb account through bizbbiz up there, and so far it's been pretty solid. Haven't had a chance to play around with quite everything yet (and by that I mean I play GTA IV instead) but I'd recommend it based on what I've seen.

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM DREAMHOST IF YOU'RE USING MYSQL AND WANT YOUR SITE TO LOAD IN LESS THAN 30-50 SECONDS.

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »

I host my own stuff on my server here at home. Although I'm thinking it might be time to go with a paid service of some sort soon.

It really depends on what sort of content you're looking to post. If you just want a blog site of some kind, go with one of the popular blog tools like Blogger or LiveJournal. If you want something that you can put a forum up on, you're going to need something that has a database of some kind. Most often MySQL is the offered choice, but some also offer Postgres SQL.

If you're keen on having your own domain there are a couple places that offer deals on hosting + domain too.

I guess the real questions are:

1) what do you plan on doing with the hosting? - blog, WoW guild site, forums, pics/family stuff, etc
2) how much traffic are you expecting to get? - blogs and family stuff tend to be pretty low traffic, things like forums and guild sites can be higher traffic depending on the popularity
3) what are the hosting providers terms of service/fees? - If you're planning on a site that's more uh, shall we say risque, then some hosting providers won't accept your business. Also check out things like costs for bandwidth over charges, etc. some hosts are cheap up front then sneak on a crap tonne of extra charges.

http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:20:53 AM »

I deal with insider hosting for my gambling sites. Never had a problem with them.