The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 12:05:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Calling all losers/geeks/nerds etc  (Read 3258 times)

Rjoepenk

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-4
    • View Profile
Calling all losers/geeks/nerds etc
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »

Hello everyone I'm Rjoepenk, and I would consider myself, among many other things: a geek (Primarily concerned with music and movies), a pacifist, an ex-pothead, a seasoned forumer and, lastly but most importantly, a prospective screenwriter. I think it is safe to say that I belong on this forum. However it is specifically the latter function which has led me to this fine site. I'm currently a film student, and am writing a screenplay called 'The Loser Club'. I won't tell you anything about it, mainly because I'm not entirely set on how it's going to turn out, but I have a very important set of questions for each of you, if you wouldn't mind having a quick butcher's:

What makes a loser? Is there a difference between a geek and a loser? If so, what is it? Would you consider yourself both, or just a geek? If so, why? What do you do with your spare time? Is it that that makes you a geek/loser or is it something else? Are you happy with being termed as whatever you are termed as, or are you trying to change to meet societies whim?

I know my opinions on these questions, but I'm seeking input from all directions, and after scouting about I decided that the best place to hear it from the horse's mouth was here. It will perhaps take five minutes of your time to answer these questions, and the ramifications of your collective thoughts will be enormously beneficial to me. Needless to say, I would appreciate it hugely. Looking forward to hearing what you think, thanks!

Rjoepenk  :-D

12AX7

Re: Calling all losers/geeks/nerds etc
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:13:10 PM »

A loser, eh?
  Well, one who sits and drafts multiple paragraph posts of thinly veiled insults to people on the internet whom you don't even know that probably busted your balls and banned your dumb ass once already thinking that your post somehow 'defeats' those that hurt your wittle feelings.

Oh wait...  IT's YOU!

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »

I think you should write the whole thing introspectively.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »

I think you should write the whole thing introspectively.
Don't use such big words.  He'll have to look them up! 
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:43:06 PM »

The difference between a geek and a loser is -41 everyone knows that.

Rjoepenk

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:39:10 PM »

Ok....

Having convinced the admin of this site (Thanks Chris, by the way) that you were being perhaps overly defensive in your replies and that I AM NOT A TROLL, hopefully this post will work and I can thank you all for replying. Just to clear it up, I'll tell you guys what I told Chris - the questions above are of a professional nature, not 'thinly veiled insults' (What sort of an asshole do you take me for, chief? Surely anyone who is pathetic enough to sign up to a website with the sole intention of slanging a bunch of people he's never met isn't worth your attention, let alone a response?!); any offence caused was unintentional and circumstantial, and I apologise for it. I assumed that people who signed up for a site named 'The Geek Forum' had already faced up to the fact that they were geeky, and presumably not at the top of the social ladder (Like myself). The word loser may be a little harsh across the pond (I'm a proud Brit) and maybe its connotations are different Stateside but that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for - even if you don't consider yourself a loser, what is one? If this question bothers you, just ignore it!

In response to the other two posts: Post #2 Even though you meant it as a not-so-thinly-veiled insult, you're actually right on the money! But I don't want to settle for just my experiences/opinions on loserism. Post #3 Genius, I'll take that under consideration!

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »

Ok....

I would just like to point out a few things.

A not-so-thinly-veiled insult would be a thickly veiled insult.

Also, an insult is determined by how it is received, not by how it is given. Since you clearly are aware of how geeky and loserish you are, you shouldn't be insulted by that at all. If anything, you should receive it as a complement.

If I had a problem with being called a geek you would know.

If you seriously want an answer out of me you're going to have to put forward some effort to actually join this forum... and stay.

I had a really good smartass come-back for the difference between a geek and a loser, but I deleted it because it was just mean and replaced it with this:

Find every spammer/troll/one-post-wonder and check out the space between them and a regular forum member. There is your difference.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:21:09 PM »

I don't think your problem is with the difference between the definition of "loser" on either side of the pond.  I think the communication gap lies in your concept of that which is a "geek".

Please tell me, from your perspective, what is a geek?  From there, we may be able to establish some common ground.  Though, I doubt it.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 07:53:20 PM »

In case you were wondering the quotient between a loser and a geek is approximately .41

Coincidence?

Rjoepenk

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 07:17:52 AM »

For the disgruntled among you - I simply don't have time to throw myself into the forum as I would normally, I am exceptionally busy at the moment so I'm afraid for the time being I have to look our for no.1 and stick to this thread only. If this bothers you, don't give me an answer; I'll understand, even if I find it fickle. And Wunderkind, please, go ahead and give me your awesome comeback, I'd love to hear it. Personally I find it nigh on impossible to be insulted by someone I don't know, but that's just me. So knock yourself out  :wink:

BizB: I've thought about it all day and can't really come up with a definition that I'm pleased with, so I'll go for the lazier and surprisingly more entertaining examples from Dictionary.com:

geek
  Slang.
–noun
1.    a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.

This would probably be my personal preference for the term, especially the last bit. By that definition, I take pride in calling myself a geek and it is usually used as a term of affection when directed at me: My girlfriend often calls me "Geek of the week" and it's usually right on the money.

2.    a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)

This tends to be the more stereotypical, superficial concept of a geek; one you might find in a high concept movie such as The Breakfast Club or some other such tripe. Don't get me wrong, I have met several geeks who do rant for hours about how Linux is underrated and speak Klingon, but I have met a great many more who don't.

3.    a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, such as biting off the head of a live chicken.

This was (Funny) news to me so I thought I'd throw it in there. It also semi-explains what I think is a geek: if you found this particular entry even slightly amusing then I would consider you something of a geek. I think there are many different species of geek but the thing that tends to unite them all is their sense of humour. It may not be specifically akin, but it is usually removed from the norm. Most people wouldn't get why the above is funny, but I imagine some people here will. That is my description of geekery. How's that?

And 42 (Which I believe is the correct number) will get a mention in my script, no sweat!

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 08:10:01 AM »

I'm not afraid of being mean.

I'm afraid of Bizb.

So long as you are in the Newbie Forum and Bizb is still keeping a ban hammer in his desk somewhere I will obstain from out-right meanness... for as long as I can... maybe... if the stars align themselves properly...

*tapes her fingers together*
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:30:04 AM by Wunderkind »

Rjoepenk

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 07:00:37 AM »

Hey, I'll let him know if I'm bothered by what you have to say: give it hell! My very interaction with you guys is research (No offence).

After a few days of thought I would amend my last post, and say that my personal definition of a geek would have no specific criteria: you can be geeky about anything. I would however say that sadly, geeks generally tend to be people whose personality traits can alienate people who are judgemental in any way. They suffer the backlash of this media-bred idea that in the modern world people should not be happy with themselves, be it their physical appearance, material belongings etc etc. Unfortunately, in many cases this preposterous concept has spread to such an extent that people are increasingly insecure about their personalities, and geeks can fall prey to the various people who carry out said (Often downright nasty) put-downs of anyone who is even slightly strange. I think geeks are among the most introspecitve, sensitive, basically cool people out of all our little social groupings, and love them to pieces, even if that patronises the people in this forum. Maybe I'm just chatting balls but that's my five cents...

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:53 PM »

I think you need more schooling.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 01:39:02 PM »

How are the two things even related?  Some losers also happen to probably be geeks, some aren't.  I don't see the relation, and that's probably where some of the hostility is coming from.

To answer the question, though, I would probably call myself a nerd at best.  I don't have the dedication required for true geekdom.  In fact, I doubt you will find anyone here who fits into the little pigeonhole you're trying to create.  Everyone has varied interests, and I'm almost positive all have made sweet, sweet love to someone of the opposite sex.  Except maybe xolik...
I'd also guess that inasmuch as anyone actually cares that this "society" you speak of labels them as geeks, they would accept is as a badge of honor, speaking to their intelligence, etc.  I haven't heard the word used as an insult in years.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:30:13 PM by Joe Sixpack »
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »

Well said, Joe.  Well said.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to give you my own personal profile and let you decide if I'm a "geek" according to your definition.  I'm quite sure you'd dismiss me as falling outside the bounds of what you were thinking.  However, if you asked my Luddite family/friends (sweet jeebus just knowing the word Luddite makes me a geek in their books,) they would all describe me as a huge geek.

kanca mosan

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +33/-31
  • Yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »

Well said, Joe.  Well said.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to give you my own personal profile and let you decide if I'm a "geek" according to your definition.  I'm quite sure you'd dismiss me as falling outside the bounds of what you were thinking.  However, if you asked my Luddite family/friends (sweet jeebus just knowing the word Luddite makes me a geek in their books,) they would all describe me as a huge geek.

That is exactly the problem.  Most people are considered geeks by other people, who have a certain set of definitions that makes, in their mind, someone a geek.  Well, they are on the computer all day...They are a geek.  Well, they love band...They are a geek.  I, personally, do not think that people that love band are geeks, but I am using a comparison to myself.

Some people give "geekiness" a certain 'value'.  When they see someone exhibit this 'value' they consider that person a geek.  However, they define this value based on them self.  This 'value' will be different, depending on whether or not that person is a geek or not (which, oddly enough, is defined by other people, in most cases).  That is compared to themselves.  It all has to do with relativity and 'value'.  The only way to solve this problem is to look at something arbitrarily and decide (probably by using the actual definition of geek).  However, that definition itself was probably created by someone that was not a geek.  We are left with quite the problem.
It appears I am a paradoxal paradox.